Labrador Lurchers.

my buddy has a 1/2 lab x 1/4 dh 1/4 gh - it was a mistake

not fast enough to gain a lot on a fox usually but will sit on a ditch ahead of the beagles and teagles and try to predict where the fox will be flushed - good dog for bushing and has accounted for a lot of foxes - very smart

• Like 1

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree in essence with what you are saying, but, a lot depends on your type of hunting. Many moons ago I bought a first cross collie/grey from Hancock much to the dismay and against the advice of t

this bitch was half lab. good allround fur and feather day and night in her day  

Here you go w uyang, pointer x saluki bull grey

Posted Images

Problem is no one is prepared to take a risk and have a pop at breeding something slightly different to the norm? If you don't try you won't ever know,I took a chance with a lurcher x collie..on more than one occasion,killed more gear with them then I could ever have imagined..I've said it before don't be afraid to try something different when breeding lurchers.. You don't have to follow the flock or keep anyone happy..do your own thing and good luck

I suspect a lot of it comes down to concern about finding homes for pups. Even if someone decided to breed a litter because they wanted a pup bred that way, they're still faced with the possibility of being stuck with half a dozen pups that no one wants because it's an uniusual cross that most people wouldn't be prepared to take a chance on.

Yes, be prepared to cull hard and only rear what you have booked. Even then not all things go to plan and people can drop out at the last minute.

• Like 2

There's no guarantees with any x you can breed 2 match winners n get shite but I don't understand the anxiety on the lab cross it's not that unusual is it I mean if a 1st x bull greyhound collie greyhound Alsatian greyhound Irish terrier greyhound etc can make useful alround knockabout dogs then why not a nice workin type lab over a sound greyhound..

• Like 9

Only Lab blooded lurchers I've ever seen were real good dogs,Dodger's dog Topper being one,I rated that dog right up there I did,very obedient dog,could stick on too..never put a foot wrong the times I seen him working and he filled the motor too which is always a good thing ? ..let's be fair what would an Alsation have to offer over a Labrador when crossed with a Greyhound or fast type of lurcher? In my opinion NOTHING whatsoever..I actually had a walk out with a Spaniel x Lurcher last Friday,cracking little dog,only 8 months old,obedient like I've never witnessed before and worked non stop all day,must admit it was mad keen flushing pheasants up haha,could jump anything that confronted it and 100 mph into a freezing river just for the hell of it lol..I've always thought and even said on here I think the gundog breeds have loads to offer when breeding lurchers yet apart from the Pointer x's we hear very little of them which is quite sad really ?

• Like 7

i have always though a gundog 1x lurcher would make a good alrounder, But you would have to breed it your self if you could find a owner who would let you use there dog,

my parents used to breed Dalmations when i was younger and i often though about breeding a dalmation x greyhound as there bitch was great at taking rabbits but my dad would never let me use his stud dog over one of our greyhounds bitches shame do as it would have made a great cross

Just a wee story, we were doing the M6 Shap fell 1969, I had a bitch called Mandy ((( collie/greyxdeer/grey x whippet grey, Blue rough coat, stood about 25"

Earl of Lonsdale ground, Grouse, rabbits, a bit thin due to the hard winters up there, a few Hares but not too many, (((( more when we were getting near Penrith, there was a truck driver, who owned a couple of site trucks, ((( No M,O,T, and run on Red diesel, He also kept a Lurcher, and of course when we had a chat it was all about dogs, He liked my Bitch, and the conversation always came round to what was the best x for filling the pot and a bit of coursing, He said believe me or not, a Lab/greyhound takes a bit of beating, His Father had one and he said, they can run all day, great nose,Easy to train, and Biddable, fantastic retriever, ((( soft mouthed, for fur or feather, and good feet on them, I said have you any pups of that breading he said No, but we will keep in touch,

When you are young, I was 24 fit full of life, and dog mad, you want to see the best of the dogs in the Lurcher world, now in those days NO mobile phones, No internet, No Fax machines, only word of mouth, but the country was open, you had Freedom, to run your dogs, Hunting was a common sport, If you wanted to contact a man you phoned his Pub, or the Public Telephone, on his street, corner, very few Lads had a house phone, I am scratching my head trying to remember the fellows name, who put the seed in my head for a labxgrey, such is life, Yes I had a 12 bore shot-gun lying up on the Paving machine, cartridges in my pocket, and the ole JUKEL lying in the works transit van across the front seat, were else would she lye your pride and joy, eh Lads its nice to have a wee trip down memory lane, ((((( today you would be locked up for having a shotgun in a public place, and the Lurcher in the works van, it was foreman's privilege to use the van at night and when you were off at the week-end, and earning top money in those days, some weeks £100 bonus, The country has gone in reverse in many ways not forward,

• Like 12

Just a wee story, we were doing the M6 Shap fell 1969, I had a bitch called Mandy ((( collie/greyxdeer/grey x whippet grey, Blue rough coat, stood about 25"

Earl of Lonsdale ground, Grouse, rabbits, a bit thin due to the hard winters up there, a few Hares but not too many, (((( more when we were getting near Penrith, there was a truck driver, who owned a couple of site trucks, ((( No M,O,T, and run on Red diesel, He also kept a Lurcher, and of course when we had a chat it was all about dogs, He liked my Bitch, and the conversation always came round to what was the best x for filling the pot and a bit of coursing, He said believe me or not, a Lab/greyhound takes a bit of beating, His Father had one and he said, they can run all day, great nose,Easy to train, and Biddable, fantastic retriever, ((( soft mouthed, for fur or feather, and good feet on them, I said have you any pups of that breading he said No, but we will keep in touch,

When you are young, I was 24 fit full of life, and dog mad, you want to see the best of the dogs in the Lurcher world, now in those days NO mobile phones, No internet, No Fax machines, only word of mouth, but the country was open, you had Freedom, to run your dogs, Hunting was a common sport, If you wanted to contact a man you phoned his Pub, or the Public Telephone, on his street, corner, very few Lads had a house phone, I am scratching my head trying to remember the fellows name, who put the seed in my head for a labxgrey, such is life, Yes I had a 12 bore shot-gun lying up on the Paving machine, cartridges in my pocket, and the ole JUKEL lying in the works transit van across the front seat, were else would she lye your pride and joy, eh Lads its nice to have a wee trip down memory lane, ((((( today you would be locked up for having a shotgun in a public place, and the Lurcher in the works van, it was foreman's privilege to use the van at night and when you were off at the week-end, and earning top money in those days, some weeks £100 bonus, The country has gone in reverse in many ways not forward,

your not wrong there I often think if I could jump back in time 30 years as long as I could take wife and kids with me that would suit me fine

• Like 3