Labrador Lurchers.

Although personally around 1/4 lab would suit me better I e lab grey x saluki lurcher "I wouldn't want 3/4 greyhound", the 1st x I mentioned earlier on in the thread was a real good alround bitch the fella that had her n the lab grey x saluki lurcher wouldn't of had them if they couldn't do what he did n handle it regular as he wasn't the once a week type of dog lad, it was mostly rabbits n hares but also deer n fox as I said you've just gota try n get the right parents n then pick well..

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree in essence with what you are saying, but, a lot depends on your type of hunting. Many moons ago I bought a first cross collie/grey from Hancock much to the dismay and against the advice of t

this bitch was half lab. good allround fur and feather day and night in her day  

Here you go w uyang, pointer x saluki bull grey

Posted Images

I've always wondered why gundog lurchers aren't more popular and I'm talking about the majority of gundog breeds being used, not just labs.

Perhaps it's because the majority of lurcher owners now don't actually look for the traits that were the very essence of a lurcher years ago and now consider speed and a racy build to be the main priorities when considering a lurcher.

On the subject of creating/breeding them, it's not that hard if you really wanted to, greyhound broods free to a good home are offered reguarly and many lurchermen now either own gundogs as well or know someone who does and would be willing to produce lurchers from it.

I've a working bred golden retriever here from excellent lines who is racier built than his Labrador counterparts, any serious, genuine person with a notion to take this forward is welcome to use him free of charge.

sound that mate :thumbs: , put him to nice whippet x grey bitch , make some decent lurches for day+ night, that bit of whippet thin them down a bit :thumbs:
Only thing I'd question about using a whippet greyhound is they might end up to small but who knows n suppose it depends what ya lookin for..

I've always wondered why gundog lurchers aren't more popular and I'm talking about the majority of gundog breeds being used, not just labs.

Perhaps it's because the majority of lurcher owners now don't actually look for the traits that were the very essence of a lurcher years ago and now consider speed and a racy build to be the main priorities when considering a lurcher.

On the subject of creating/breeding them, it's not that hard if you really wanted to, greyhound broods free to a good home are offered reguarly and many lurchermen now either own gundogs as well or know someone who does and would be willing to produce lurchers from it.

I've a working bred golden retriever here from excellent lines who is racier built than his Labrador counterparts, any serious, genuine person with a notion to take this forward is welcome to use him free of charge.

sound that mate :thumbs: , put him to nice whippet x grey bitch , make some decent lurches for day+ night, that bit of whippet thin them down a bit :thumbs:
Only thing I'd question about using a whippet greyhound is they might end up to small but who knows n suppose it depends what ya lookin for..

yeh its slight risk, but straight greyhound might throw heavy dogs with the lab in there, but your right anything with whippet in there could be on small side .

A known coursing man who I no had 1 few year back called John davis this one could kill hares in day 2/3 3/3 i no the man who he got them off he had 2 and other 1 was supposed to be a handy dog aswell never seen them run but got told by a good friend mine wouldn't mind 1 of these x just lamping

JD told my brother the same thing could catch plenty of hares only would struggle in Dec And Jan time , other than that reckons was a real good all rounder .

Problem is no one is prepared to take a risk and have a pop at breeding something slightly different to the norm? If you don't try you won't ever know,I took a chance with a lurcher x collie..on more than one occasion,killed more gear with them then I could ever have imagined..I've said it before don't be afraid to try something different when breeding lurchers.. You don't have to follow the flock or keep anyone happy..do your own thing and good luck ??

• Like 12

good offer gordon , was speaking to a lad with one of your pups , bitches name was lola :thumbs:

• Like 1

Bein totally honest I was only a young lad when I saw those early dogs n you know what it's like when your a kid n start seein the older lads dogs go your easily impressed n maybe I wouldn't be as impressed if I saw those dogs now who knows, but they were handy n the fella was out a lot n the dogs got tested n did the job on what ever n were ever, obviously the first x cross was just the start but she served him well, then he put a gog called crocodile over the 1st x which was a 3 1/4 grey 1/4 saluki, those pups made good alrounders but by this time he gettin more n more into hares so wanted something specifically for that but without gettin rid of his own line that had stood him so well so he later to a bitch out of the 1st x to to the 3/4 grey x 1/4 saluki, then later bred another litter but I can't remember what with now but they made the grade aswell, then he put kippers cruiser over one of them n they were good day n night, he did want to put something with lab in it back in to them but he couldn't find anything, obviously well watered down but the dog in my avatar is bred down from that original lab greyhound, like I say it depends what you want I'm sure if there was more about n he didn't go all out on the hares he wouldn't of gone to far away from the lab, if someone likes a dog they can give some stick to day n night they'd of loved Kim the lab grey x saluki lurcher aka golden gob she was a real gudden n the one that stands out to me the most ; )

• Like 3

Is anyone bringing on a lab based lurcher at the moment? I'm interested in this type of lurcher for lamping/ ferreting think it would be a useful cross for the rabbiting game. Any info on the cross would be helpful.

I once owned a first cross,would,nt have another,good nose,biddable and keen,lacked desired pace,the one i let go was bred to an heinz lurcher,the progeny were better than the first cross yet again id not have fed one of them,they were second rate at best.Im sure there are many that fare better,yet labrador in the mix is breeding backwards when there are better options readily available.

• Like 1

Problem is no one is prepared to take a risk and have a pop at breeding something slightly different to the norm? If you don't try you won't ever know,I took a chance with a lurcher x collie..on more than one occasion,killed more gear with them then I could ever have imagined..I've said it before don't be afraid to try something different when breeding lurchers.. You don't have to follow the flock or keep anyone happy..do your own thing and good luck

I suspect a lot of it comes down to concern about finding homes for pups. Even if someone decided to breed a litter because they wanted a pup bred that way, they're still faced with the possibility of being stuck with half a dozen pups that no one wants because it's an uniusual cross that most people wouldn't be prepared to take a chance on.

• Like 2

Problem is no one is prepared to take a risk and have a pop at breeding something slightly different to the norm? If you don't try you won't ever know,I took a chance with a lurcher x collie..on more than one occasion,killed more gear with them then I could ever have imagined..I've said it before don't be afraid to try something different when breeding lurchers.. You don't have to follow the flock or keep anyone happy..do your own thing and good luck

I suspect a lot of it comes down to concern about finding homes for pups. Even if someone decided to breed a litter because they wanted a pup bred that way, they're still faced with the possibility of being stuck with half a dozen pups that no one wants because it's an uniusual cross that most people wouldn't be prepared to take a chance on.

"Chances" in the equation have spawned many a diamond,yet much more "coal",far,far better to breed from proven stock and take the "chance" factor out,saying that without the folk taking the "risk factor" some diamonds would never be unearthed.

• Like 2

"Chances" in the equation have spawned many a diamond,yet much more "coal",far,far better to breed from proven stock and take the "chance" factor out,saying that without the folk taking the "risk factor" some diamonds would never be unearthed.

Very true, but then again it's always a chance when you take on a lurcher and you've got no way of knowing whether you've chosen a diamond or a very average one, no matter how they're bred. As with any lurcher, someone going for a lab x grey needs to be realistic. If daytime hares are the main quarry it's highly unlikely to be a suitable cross. But for someone who's after a 'jack of all trades, master of none' it could be superb. And of course so much comes down to the individual handler and how much exposure the dog has to the game in question...

• Like 1

I agree in essence with what you are saying, but, a lot depends on your type of hunting.

Many moons ago I bought a first cross collie/grey from Hancock much to the dismay and against the advice of the majority of lurchermen in my area. Most of whom to be honest were point at a hare and slip guys and our choice of hunting had no resemblance to each other whatsoever.

The bitch in question was a superb potfiller, nose second to none and skipped home after a days hunting when many so called endless stamina dogs were walking head down.

Point I'm making?, I knew I had work for this type of dog and she would suit the terrain I worked as well.

I honestly think the absence of gundog types now is purely due to the fact the majority of lurchermen don't actually use their lurchers as lurchers and only require a turn of speed to catch enough quarry to be considered usefull.

The amount of times I read on here, people asking, what dogs do you use to find stuff for your lurcher endorses my views.

I hunted, and still do a massive rough pock marked moor where my dogs found, caught and where possible retrieved all manner of quarry.

On occasion when out with other people their dogs walked by their side all day and came off the moor with an empty bag.

Forget the said dogs could kill three from three hares, or was a demon on fox, in my eyes it was no lurcher, but if satisfying their owner meant in their eyes they were, well who am I to say different.

I'd walk that moor today with a gundog cross and I'd be quite confident in it filling my bag as well as the majority of lurchers I'm seeing at the minute, probably better than most.

• Like 14

I agree in essence with what you are saying, but, a lot depends on your type of hunting.

Many moons ago I bought a first cross collie/grey from Hancock much to the dismay and against the advice of the majority of lurchermen in my area. Most of whom to be honest were point at a hare and slip guys and our choice of hunting had no resemblance to each other whatsoever.

The bitch in question was a superb potfiller, nose second to none and skipped home after a days hunting when many so called endless stamina dogs were walking head down.

Point I'm making?, I knew I had work for this type of dog and she would suit the terrain I worked as well.

I honestly think the absence of gundog types now is purely due to the fact the majority of lurchermen don't actually use their lurchers as lurchers and only require a turn of speed to catch enough quarry to be considered usefull.

The amount of times I read on here, people asking, what dogs do you use to find stuff for your lurcher endorses my views.

I hunted, and still do a massive rough pock marked moor where my dogs found, caught and where possible retrieved all manner of quarry.

On occasion when out with other people their dogs walked by their side all day and came off the moor with an empty bag.

Forget the said dogs could kill three from three hares, or was a demon on fox, in my eyes it was no lurcher, but if satisfying their owner meant in their eyes they were, well who am I to say different.

I'd walk that moor today with a gundog cross and I'd be quite confident in it filling my bag as well as the majority of lurchers I'm seeing at the minute, probably better than most.

man after my own heart :thumbs:

• Like 1