Labrador Lurchers.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree in essence with what you are saying, but, a lot depends on your type of hunting. Many moons ago I bought a first cross collie/grey from Hancock much to the dismay and against the advice of t

this bitch was half lab. good allround fur and feather day and night in her day  

Here you go w uyang, pointer x saluki bull grey

Posted Images

I have posted on this type, thread before, back in my young days, around 1974, I had a 3/4 grey 1/4 lab, he stood 26" length to go with it, he could take all

edible, Hare, deer, rabbit, and feather, never done foxes I was never into them can not eat a mangy fox, fantastic retriever, I saw him come over 5 bar gates and 6ft, stone walls, with a 7lb Hare in his mouth, He could swim across the river, with a cord off the sheckle net, and he was the dog who took 7 Hares off the Scottish coursing land, in just over an hour, yes that is the truth, daylight, Fantastic temperament with my kids, good watch at night, I tried over a couple of bitches never got a pup as good as himself, He was a dog to be proud of, never had any feet problems, never was at a vet in his life, and never knew what electrolytes was either, ((( a good sugary cup of tea he loved or a spoonfull of Garlic-honey in his tea, of all the dogs I have owned and run, he has to be standing in the middle of the mantle piece, he was a proper working lurcher, with a heart as big as a lions, (((( but maybe it was all the work that I put in front of him, that made such a dog, I was 30years old then, he was a dog, of the very top shelf, the boys used to call him TURBO SAM, == Laddie,

Good read border lad..

• Like 1

It seems to get said over and over again on here... Gun-dog crosses make great lurchers! ... I agree! No matter which breed... the spaniels, lab/retriever, pointer/setter etc... they seem to gel very well into a lurcher or hunting cross, dont they. Each type offering their unique traits that seem to pass-on well.

Im also not one to ever own a pure Labrador (at least at present), but Ive seen too many good crosses to ignore the fact that they do cross very well into many types of hunting dog.

Id love to see some more pics of Labrador lurchers if anyone has any?

All the best

• Like 2

Maybe it was the fact that, back in the day, gundogs were owned by those who were dead set against poaching and very few ever were used for lurcher production and so stayed out of vogue for years after.

Then Plummer in his early books stated that there would be lots of 'waistage' in litters, putting off potential breeders and strangely enough this happened just as his mate was starting up a commertial collie cross venture....

As has been said, the ones i've seen have been top notch and yes AT, why ain't you ever got one, I recon they'd suit you down to the ground..? ;)

6266ED43-D2DA-48AF-BE47-EC292BBAD9CA_zps

I've recently just bought my first dog for work, since then I've read a few books and thought that my old lab x golden rt would be a useful dog to be crossed with. He's always been very game ploughing through cover nose down hunting away catching a few rabbits while were out. Seems I wasn't they only one thinking this.?

• Like 1

When I get too old to do what I do now I would like to try something with perhaps a 1/4 lab in, maybe a lab/grey put to a good saluki lurcher. I reckon it might just be the bee's knee's for a general roust-about mooching dog. ...It's on the bucket list....

• Like 7