Labrador Lurchers.

Most first x lack speed not them all I am like border lad I like a three quarter the old way to bread was three quarter to three quarter I like a dog that can kill on green fields daytime that was the way of old they bread best to best whith out speed you have nothing for the open land the first x would suit the hilly ground woods or lamping ect but when faced way the true test one on one i'am afraid 90per cent will fail just my thoughts I'd only have a gamble with the tree quarter nothing else would be required i'am sure border lads dog spoke for itself be nice to see some back on the ground they have certainly have allot to offer atb edrd

A three quarter to a three quarter is not going to throw a litter of three quarters, the pups could end up nearly full greyhounds or say 50/50.

True test of a lurcher, one on one on a green field?, I'd dispute that as would I'm sure a lot of people.

Without speed you have nothing?, why not run a greyhound then?.

Yes, obviously you need a level of speed, but there's a damn sight more required of a lurcher in the genuine sense of the word than just speed.

• Like 7

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree in essence with what you are saying, but, a lot depends on your type of hunting. Many moons ago I bought a first cross collie/grey from Hancock much to the dismay and against the advice of t

this bitch was half lab. good allround fur and feather day and night in her day  

Here you go w uyang, pointer x saluki bull grey

Posted Images

Got a lab x beddy whippet here about 21/22 tts, 17 months old. Hasn't seen any real work just mooching about really. Sire is a working gundog lab, not sure about dam but she's 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy.

She's very biddable and predictable. I can read her like a book and she's obedient when she wants to be, she's usually only disobedient if she hasn't been out much that day.

I walk her off lead without any fuss, won't bother another dog across the road etc.

But I have one massive problem with her and stealing other dogs tennis balls. But I've pretty much stopped this now and she has a natural retrieve.

I'm taking her out ferreting for the first time this weekend with a mate so I'll let you all know how she does.

She doesn't lack any drive which I realised last week when she pushed some roe out of cover. Shed have no chance of catching one tho, she's about as fast as a hare but that doesn't stop her from trying lol

Oh and she's also very soft mouthed, so much that she tried to retrieve a live rat and got bit, dropped it then the same thing happened again ahaha

Atb

Edited by connerdaboss
  • Like 3

She steals other dogs balls,,if that's all you've got to worry about with her your not doin to bad lol..

Sounds like she's got potential n keen n wants to take things to the next level n get amongst some action, let us know how she gets on with ferretin..

what a brilliant post this is plenty of good answers and discussions. update on my own field trial 14 month old lab,(wife bought this as a pet,and i work lurchers so exercise is out with the lurcher lol ) this lab runs all day and jumps just about anything. could find a needle in a haystack with his nose. eager to please and is a natural at retreiving. yes any first x will be heavy but i bet first x bulls throw a lot of heavy pups. will post some picks this weekend. oh before i forget he is also a good watchdog and serious about harming anybody who lays a hand on the wife. this is the first lab i have ever owned and after 40 odd years of working lurchers this labrador is good at just about anything :D

• Like 5

well i have seen many so called lurchers, without pace, nothing worse, when something jumps, in front of you and the dog can-not put a bend in his quarry,

Even good rabbits, can show plenty dogs a clean pair of HEELS, (((( nothing worse,))) my two dogs at the moment are saluki/grey/whippets, Now it depends what part of the country you live in, you breed a dog to suit your hunting ground, but for general mooching and filling the pot, a good lab/grey, is hard to beat next for me is a good collie/grey,xdeerhound grey, but you have to have the racey type, thats why they use to add a good grey/whippet, into that cross, Now I am afraid to go back to those old type of breeds, ((( they were common in the 50s and 60s, which is long time back, so i am in the modern day lurcher, Saluki/grey/whippet, the saluki is highly intelligent, Again you have to learn to work along side of him, yes and there are more failures in that breed than there is champions, + points are good feet, great lung power, ((( but again not all have that magical, dust sprinkled upon them,))) and great recovery from a Hard run,

and they know how to run clever, down side they are professional, at turning the deaf EAR, , Recall can be a bit of a question mark, sit down and relax, they will come back to were they started from, (((( Praise them when they come back yes it may be against the grain, so its all a very fine balancing act,,, that is lurcher work daylight, totally different from the lamp, takes a better dog to take day time, Hares, than it does daytime Roe, and mooching for rabbits i still like my dog to pick up a nice rabbit, for the pot,,, what ever cross you fancy, go for it and enjoy it, an old saying in life ,,, is one mans meat is one mans poison,

• Like 2

I am new to lurchers. But I have kept gu dogs (spaniels and labs) as soon as I read up lurchers to me it seemed obvious that a gundog has a lot to offer.

If that was the case they would have been more readily utilised.The facts are that lurchers have evolved over centuries to adapt to the times and the fads of the owners hunting lifestyle,the more conventional crosses have stood the test of time because nothing else matches what they offer,fact.The lads out and about exploring "something new" have yet to better the accepted types,in general.Im all for a little exploration and pushing boundaries,yet if its not broke and all that.

• Like 2

Fair play, I must admit I am not out searching for a lab and a greyhound to mash together. But for lamping an obedient dog, with a natural retrieve and a soft mouth. It is a gundog in all but speed.

Fair play, I must admit I am not out searching for a lab and a greyhound to mash together. But for lamping an obedient dog, with a natural retrieve and a soft mouth. It is a gundog in all but speed.

The speed element is of paramount importance in a lurcher,as long as there is not to much of it in regards to other desirable attributes that you touched on,"obedient dog,with a natural retrieve and soft mouth",that as been part and parcel of the package from its earliest manifestation.I owned a Lab/Grey bred lurcher,it was keen,easily trained,biddable,quick to learn,fantastic nose and retrieve etc, etc,,yet it lacked its most important attribute,acceleration and pace,when bred back to a lurcher its progeny fared better,yet id not have fed one,others bred this way will obviously fare better,yet there are better options that have proven heritage in lurcher production.If i were you Tozer id source a Lab bred lurcher as you know what you need and will get the best from it for many a year,just because one type of lurcher does not suit another is more about the versatility of the breed and how it may readily adapt to a multitude of hunting lifestyles,however its bred.

• Like 2