Labrador Lurchers.

the modern dsay lad has alot to offer , my freind picks up and does allsortss with them oin the shooting feild ,put to a greyhound then back to saluki lurcher the pacy kind youle get a very good dog thats for sure,

even for just rabbiting up in the hills etc theyll be well good enough , i would say the gundogs have went forward and alot of the collies are went back the way at times ,

what i like about labs is ther4e steady nature to train and ,no doing your head in as much , most dogs with half greyhound will pick rabbits up on rough ground , it should be more popular

• Like 1

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree in essence with what you are saying, but, a lot depends on your type of hunting. Many moons ago I bought a first cross collie/grey from Hancock much to the dismay and against the advice of t

this bitch was half lab. good allround fur and feather day and night in her day  

Here you go w uyang, pointer x saluki bull grey

Posted Images

Looking in the gundogs and retievers section i see a lot of people have a good word on the lab x pointer as a all round hunting dog, i wouldn't mind trying a lab x wirehaired pointer x cross greyhound or saluki i think they would be a handy cross.

what would the lab add that a GWP wouldn't?

Bit more biddable I guess, but anything else?

thicker coat and less wide ranging?

Id say the pointer would give a decent jacket anyway, my mate has a cross and has good harsh coat.

would agree about less wide ranging, I guess that could be a bad or good thing depending on how and what you're hunting.

Not a first cross dam colliexlab sire greyhound I think she thru more towards collie grew tho.23tts coming on well on lamp.does well at ferreting she's only just turned 12 month.game keeper wanted rid as it was accidental breeding and I liked the look of her.very easy to train now I take my time with her.not scared of any cover.jumps no problem.sorry if it's abit of topic.oh forgot to mention she goes mad for charlie but that's a no no.atb rich

post-91909-0-78789100-1424773484_thumb.jpg

post-91909-0-49023400-1424773520.jpg

• Like 4

First dog i ever saw catch a daytime hare was a Dalmation x grew 40odd years ago she also caught loads of rabbits. Never seen or heard of one since!!

When I worked on a farm in Australia they had 2 coolies "Australian German sheep dog" n they have Dalmatian in them, they were really tough good sheep n cattle dogs real good at there job no reverse, I took them rabbitin which they did well at although the rabbits didn't take much catching thereof some reason, they'd put hares up in the day never caught any but had a go they put up n caught a fox one day n I'd drive around with the ute at night with the rotatin lamp on the roof n dogs in the back n it didn't take them dogs long to cotton on to jumpin out the back n runnin stuff n to add Fred was 10 years old aswell although you'd never know it, it was all done for the craic as I was missin doggin back home but those dogs were great got on well with em n they loved hunting, they kept my hunger for hunting at bay n I couldn't help but wonder what a coolie would add to a lurcher compared to say a pure border collie..

• Like 2

we had Dalmatian when I was a kid, it was terrible dog you couldn't let of the lead it would piss off, and it bit my brother the one day, and that was the end of him. maybe back then we didn't train it enough,? but I have talked to people of late who got pure Dalmatians and the bitches they had were ok , but the males they had had been castrated , and the owners said that males of this breed were head strong, and it deff calmed it down with the snip . so maybe it the breed then, I never put that breed into a lurcher , collie,pit,gsd, etc dogs that are worked now ,not show dogs like Dalmatians are :yes: .

Slippery weasel Labs I've seen are mainly used for picking up on shoots, basically standing waiting until sent to pick up shot birds and looking for pricked birds that have run on and hidden. They work totally different from springers that are a lot more intense and are on the go all day smashing through cover and are constantly on the move. Labs are generally steady and reliable that's why I think they would make good cross for ferreting partners and would have plenty drive and stamina for lamping rabbits.

Edited by Allan P
  • Like 1

Slippery weasel Labs I've seen are mainly used for picking up on shoots, basically standing waiting until sent to pick up shot birds and looking for pricked birds that have run on and hidden. They work totally different from springers that are a lot more intense and are on the go all day smashing through cover and are constantly on the move. Labs are generally steady and reliable that's why I think they would make good cross for ferreting partners and would have plenty drive and stamina for lamping rabbits.

Thanks, That's what I thought, most of the ones I've seen have been stood at pegs etc.

• Like 2

If we are talking hares then lab cross would be last type I would go for. I was just thinking it would make a useful no nonesense rabbiting dog. Maybe use it for a bit of rough shooting as well not for an out coursing dog when there are much better crosses out there for that job.

Hare have never been my thing not interested atal and tbh I really don't care who's got the best dogs either im happy with what's in my kennel that's what counts just I don't think a green field is the biggest test for a dog

• Like 3