Ray Mears

deer dogs (preban)

11 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

My lad was 21 tts and 30/35 pound and a good jook in his day .

i going to pm you tomorrow ray as I'm in hereford next week .

atb mate 

ok            :thumbs:

Munty bucks are tough little buggers and put up a surprising fight for their size. If dog grabs them by neck / shoulders, it runs risk of getting a spike in its face / neck and with a leg hold it’s amazing how they will spin round and try to take the dogs shoulder/ flank with their little sharp tusks. Skin like leather to. Good dogs develop the knack of bowling them over and onto the throat like a fox etc. 

• Like 1

This thread also reminds me of the days when this site had lots of folk on it that did a lot, knew a lot, and we used to have the odd interesting discussion about hunting. Seems like a very very high proportion of armchair hunters, dreamers and kids on this section now, but I suppose they are the only ones you can safely talk about it, you can’t get in trouble for talking / hinting about the hunting you don’t actually do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ok, silly question.

What's the difference between a non ped whippet and a ped one. I take it, it's more than just paper work.

Atb j 

5 minutes ago, Trev70 said:

Chinese can be the same for cutting the dog and I once hand to pull a little devil horn out of the dog’s eye socket.

Do you mean a tooth?

3 hours ago, jetro said:

Ok, silly question.

What's the difference between a non ped whippet and a ped one. I take it, it's more than just paper work.

Atb j 

ped whippets are obviously kennel club registered but non peds have been outcrossed to another breed (usually greyhound) to increase speed for racing. Whippet racing is big in parts of the UK so dogs are well tested and good non peds are streets ahead of peds for speed, weight for weight and size for size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/02/2020 at 13:17, Balaur said:

Yep nasty that, seen pics of quite a few dogs hit head and neck not seen a shoulder one like that though...

Seen a dog at a show few year back that had a 12 inch scar across its ribs from a munty.......and some of you long timers on here might remember a member by the name ooty.....he is firemans mate....he had an experienced deer dog killed by a munty...I believe it opend  up an artery on the dogs neck...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Son in laws lurcher was opened by a muntie recently .Accidental hunt of course .The two terriers following it saw of the buck but not before it did £1220 of damage on a back holiday 

38 minutes ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Do you mean a tooth?

No mate I'm getting mixed up that one was a munty buck.

• Like 1

Had beddy x whippet needed 60+ stitches to face,neck & chest from a big munty buck plus the horn damaged her skull & chipped back of her eye socket. Horrible bloody things We’re over run with them. Shot 30+ last year & still over run yet no rbts anywhere!!! Atb

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Son in laws lurcher was opened by a muntie recently .Accidental hunt of course .The two terriers following it saw of the buck but not before it did £1220 of damage on a back holiday 

Naughty

Glad it's only the roe where I am, and they're multiplying year on year