deer dogs (preban)

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates little whippet was a good deer dog pre ban 19tts. Very capable little bitch was Skippy

couple more in me youth.many many moons ago.when i was kean , now the ban i sit back and just think of the good old day,s,,

An old pre ban one a dog bred out of a 22tts lamp bitch to a first cross saluki/grey called jed from county duram.

Posted Images

• 8 months later...

what breed did you find the best gamerooster?? or did some just have a general knack to killing them ?

I seen all soughts take deer regulary, but the lad i ran with mostly used saluki greyhounds, simply because when a bitch had a litter, they were given to close friends, so kept within the circle, one of the best i ever seen was a bedlington greyhound called stone, would run through fire to catch them, and very rarely missed one.A lot of people swear by saluki bull greyhounds, but i never had the privelage to see one run, so i cant comment or rate them, plus i only ever did roe, so for other species i have no idea, I know a fella who had a bull x bitch that took all the species, and often aswell :thumbs:

Stone was a good deer dog was hey...????

of course the holy grail are reds, with there sheer weight considerd , you ad that to the speed that they can reach and youv got some beast on your hands that only expirienced dogs stand a chance at. but also as i said before, a good mature fallow buck is a test for any deer dog. roe also in there own right, high speed quarry. they all take some catching.

to be honest roe deer are easy pickings for a good deer dog! course may go on for a little while but if the dogs been slipped 80-90 % dead!!

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ive the chance of getting a deer x grey bitch off my mate shes 16 months and untried but id try her this season see if shes any good, with the intention of putting a straight wheaten grey dog over her, hes 100% single on all quarry, game as feck, would like to hear of any of this cross the good and bad

of course the holy grail are reds, with there sheer weight considerd , you ad that to the speed that they can reach and youv got some beast on your hands that only expirienced dogs stand a chance at. but also as i said before, a good mature fallow buck is a test for any deer dog. roe also in there own right, high speed quarry. they all take some catching.

to be honest roe deer are easy pickings for a good deer dog! course may go on for a little while but if the dogs been slipped 80-90 % dead!!

if this was true there would be a lot less roe about,its not even true if you lamp them never mind day time.

• Like 2

if this was true there would be a lot less roe about,its not even true if you lamp them never mind day time.
All sorts of reasons a roe would get away so 80 / 90 percent I doubt it
  • Like 1
  • 10 months later...

Love this thread :D lol pre ban I had a bitch that done 4/6 of the deer species and plenty of them, never had the chance to get her on sika or red. But for me the fallow has to be the hardest overall for a dog to catch and handle out of the 4 species I ran preban. I remember thinking the bitch I owned was invincible on them, every deer she connected with ended up in the freezer be it munty chink roe or fallow, then one night a lean mid winter fallow doe knocked her out with one swift kick to the head. Didn't faze her once she come back from her confused dazed state, but that kick saved that fallows life and gave me a much more higher respect to the animals.

post-89948-0-97555200-1433786104_thumb.jpg

Edited by Con6212
  • Like 8

Love this thread :D lol pre ban I had a bitch that done 4/6 of the deer species and plenty of them, never had the chance to get her on sika or red. But for me the fallow has to be the hardest overall for a dog to catch and handle out of the 4 species I ran preban. I remember thinking the bitch I owned was invincible on them, every deer she connected with ended up in the freezer be it munty chink roe or fallow, then one night a lean mid winter fallow doe knocked her out with one swift kick to the head. Didn't faze her once she come back from her confused dazed state, but that kick saved that fallows life and gave me a much more higher respect to the animals.

Either you are really tall or she wasn't a big dog either.

Sounds like a good dog :thumbs:

• 6 months later...

Cracking little bitch she was too mate ;)

Have to agree with you there matie..

Roe are pretty fast on a straight run, but once the dog starts turning them, 9 times out of 10 they were yours..if they get into a wood they are gone, have only ever seen one taken once in a wood.

Edited by Omanyra
  • Like 2