deer dogs (preban)

35 minutes ago, jetro said:

Right, so not that big so, now I understand how some whippets could take them, preban, .

What are the like to reproduce, would it take them long to populate an area 

Atb j 

A collie or fast lab could take a chink on arable land and totaly unsporting with a running dog imo and if we were just running for sport rather than just for the pot we'd wait till after xmas when the meadows were half flooded or the arable good and soggy.Then you get some of the best small deer coursing you can think of and i heard "that's dead" a few times only to see the chink hit some water then fly off and the dog hit a dead end..

Reproduction they do all year round where it's mild enough but in all the numbers we took i'd say we only had a dozen or so carrying young,so maybe just a spring,summer time breeder???...I'd say they'd do well in some parts of soggy Ireland as the name Chinese WATER Deer holds a bit of a clue in where they like to live..Come over with a big long net and i'll take you to a place:laugh:,but transporting them they need to be caged in crammed conditions as they thrash about and bust themselves up like hares can do....

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates little whippet was a good deer dog pre ban 19tts. Very capable little bitch was Skippy

couple more in me youth.many many moons ago.when i was kean , now the ban i sit back and just think of the good old day,s,,

An old pre ban one a dog bred out of a 22tts lamp bitch to a first cross saluki/grey called jed from county duram.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, jetro said:

So preban, when running for sport or freezer, a grew, would be plenty capable for them, no need for big strong lurchers. 

Atb j 

On wet ground i saw bull x's and other heavy dogs not do so well as the lighter boned ones and that good dog i knew was a merlin and eve bred dog..My own bull x was taken enough times to have been fit enough and to have had the knack sussed so she didn't suffer like others did.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, TOMO said:

You runing  anything out of Rio cash??

I have my good white dog out of him my dad has dogs out of him and I have 4 pals who have good stuff out of him there is a lot of top stuff in the country out of him he produced some top stuff Sean Murray Tommy's son has a real good dog out of him called rio and there is a white dog out of him who was in the final of the fur cup a couple of years ago 

• Like 1

here’s a pic of a munty buck if you can make it out. There like rabbits round by us. As I have thermal I can easily go out for 4 hours lamping and spot 5,6,7. Like people say they do mainly stick to the edges and dikes but they often venture out aswel. They are tough little fuckers for there size but for me if a dog had one out in the field they shouldn’t really get away unless close to cover as they will just put there heads down and smash whatever’s in there way. I’m sure they would try and go through a brick wall if that was what was in front of them, I find them quite thick to be honest. You’ll get a lot closer to one than what you will a roe or fallow anyway. 

8CDBCF84-BEAE-44C0-8CB5-A0EA232E4BA9.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, Igz said:

here’s a pic of a munty buck if you can make it out. There like rabbits round by us. As I have thermal I can easily go out for 4 hours lamping and spot 5,6,7. Like people say they do mainly stick to the edges and dikes but they often venture out aswel. They are tough little fuckers for there size but for me if a dog had one out in the field they shouldn’t really get away unless close to cover as they will just put there heads down and smash whatever’s in there way. I’m sure they would try and go through a brick wall if that was what was in front of them, I find them quite thick to be honest. You’ll get a lot closer to one than what you will a roe or fallow anyway. 

8CDBCF84-BEAE-44C0-8CB5-A0EA232E4BA9.jpeg

They were a bit wasted on the lamp, daytime hunting them with little dogs and a runner is the sport of kings, some of the most fun I’ve had in the uk, along with bushing boar, but that’s another story! 

• Like 1

Yes mate, much preferred to hunt them daytime, busher and runner or as long as your Lurcher  keen enough you don’t really need a busher to nock them up as they will sit tight, like you say a bit wasted on the lamp for a bigger dog. 

4 hours ago, TOMO said:

Here's a munty  so you can see the size of them jetro

Easier to hide under the jacket carried like that and been saved more than fecking once due to it to,had a chink doe and a hare one day  strung up like that and a wild fowler and his collection of spaniels and labs came round the corner of the reed bed and thank god i had my lurcher on a lead as she wasn't to dog friendly and she was bearing teeth so i stepped back into the reeds to let him past and he was none to the wiser to what i had under my coat..:victory:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've carried medium sized munty bucks in a large game back over my shoulder: helps if you gut them first as that makes up a lot of their weight. But as has been said, they do vary a lot in size, and the biggest I ever saw must have stood a good 24" at the shoulder, but that was a one off and it was very old and skinny. My old Deer/Grey caught them for fun in the open (big striding dog of 28") but they aren't that fast in the open. It's the way they can streak through apparently solid brambles without trying that really keeps them safe. Their speed in cover makes them almost uncatchable unless you have a similar sized and very fast dog that has no rules of self-preservation round cover. Lost a very good little bitch when she broke her back hitting a tree, and numerous other injuries from branches etc. Thick woodland, brambles, anywhere where there is plenty of ground cover and can hide them.

Friend of mine has a 21" Beddy/Whippet/Grey and that has taken too many to count and never had a bad injury: she has the knack: acts like a bigger dog on roe: trips and goes straight on the throat. Clever little dog she is.

• Like 6