Wildlife Getting Closer

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wish I'd had my camera still not bad for phone shots. Cheers Arry

Raw egg seems to have stimulated his appetite and milk  have removed most of the ticks and will pop up the abattoir in a bit to get some liver to help replace iron etc Surprised he is still here and n

He’s banging the liver down now feeling a bit more confident will start on a house for him if he makes the week as he’s stinking the boat out 

Posted Images

Been to Prague zoo today and seen 2 red kites in the dome enclosure . Its weird I go round looking at all the foreign animals not thinking about them being trapped in the cages until I seen the red kites and suddenly felt really sorry for them.  Doing circular laps non stop out of bordem.  Back home I will see red kites every single day 

20240418_135209.jpg

20240418_135158.jpg

• Like 5

Seen my first and only red kites a couple of years ago while creeping through a wood to try for a sneaky bolt in a big rangey place, a pair were roosting about 15 foot up directly above the earth. 

Don't know how common they are  NI but it was my first and only sighting. 

Seen a few in Cornwall, not common but they are here.

Got bullfinches on my feeders this year, several goldies, few siskin and a few greenfinch as well as the usual stuff.

Shit phone pics.

Chest, D.

IMG_20240416_132541_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230806_135614.jpg

• Like 8

Your comments going back a week now mate ,  so somebody will of commented on it nodoubt. Thats one thing I've never seen.  A died kite on the side of road or motorway. Many years back they introduced them back to harrogate near harewood house ( soft release ) . At first the birds were in flights. Then after a few month they opened the flights up but still fed the birds until they found their feet around the area. Now you see them all over Down the side of the A1 M1 & A64. Can't beat looking out of motor seeing them twisting & turning specially the tails forking. 

• Like 1
On 18/04/2024 at 15:03, Waz said:

Seen this couple of days ago on the news. The copper that was talkin about it was on that police program years back (  Road Wars )with that other bald headed copper. He was a right prick on the program. Good cop bad cop.  Think it's down derby way or Nottingham. " I hear black birds around here first thing doing house alarm sounds ". Few months back I heard a jay mimicking the sound of a buzzard.  I'm looking all over for this buzzard on the treeline  then noticed it was a jay. Another was a sparrow mimicking a bullfinch call. Its amazing how they can do this behaviour. 

Starting to see more red kites around me the last couple of year's probably descended from the red kite breeding program they did at Harewood house nr Leeds i believe some year's ago. Buzzards have been quite common around me for a few year's now i often wonder if they are detrimental to the brown hare population preying on small leveretts as their is no longer a healthy rabbit population. I would think that red kites are not as detrimental to other species than the buzzard is that i have heard can be a bit of a pain around release pen's and such like.

Haven't heard Our blackbirds mimic, just sing brilliantly of an evening, love it.

Starlings round here have bits of duck and buzzard mixed into there song, and for as long as I can remember they've called like curlews.

Red kites are rare, just the odd one seen

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Driving up the road out of the village this morning eyes scanning everywhere apart from on the road as usual and spotted a bit of movement in the gutter quickly put on the hazards and blocked the road with my car got out and found this little chap he’s in pretty poor condition was covered in ticks and a myriad of small injury’s think he may be to far gone but if he’s still here in the morning he might make it, will be more confident once he eats and drinks something he took a small drink when I found him but nothing since 

328E4374-4061-45A7-9857-F47640AD1636.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Just now, Greyman said:

Driving up the road out of the village this morning eyes scanning everywhere apart from on the road as usual and spotted a bit of movement in the gutter quickly put on the hazards and blocked the road with my car got out and found this little chap he’s in pretty poor condition was covered in ticks and a myriad of small injury’s think he may be to far gone but if he’s still here in the morning he might make it, will be more confident once he eats and drinks something he took a small drink when I found him but nothing since 

Poor fckr, hope he pulls through

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Greyman said:

You going to keep him mate?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Greyman said:

Get rid of the tics as soon as possible, Hopefully by the morning he will be eating,