Another Nail...

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

nothing better then out in the country walking with the dogs when things are on your mind helped me threw some bad times ?

Must admit i read posts like Francies posts above and others and while i wholeheartedly agree with the content it amazes me that so few people are actually willing to stand up and address why this is

Lol... Fella no one's giving up. Just it's 2023 I've been defending terrier work at the top in Ireland for over 10 years... I still hunt at least twice a week... But what is happening is a major

Posted Images

That's true of other works areas tatsblisters, when i was a child all four of the local GP's were keen anglers, keen or occasional shots and very good gardeners. All were active in the local angling club. A font of country knowledge not only of medicine!

Edited by Aled
  • Like 1
37 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Ordinary joe bloggs does not give a shit about hunting and if in all it's forms are banned i honestly think its dyeing out on its own nobody in the company i work with are interested in any form of hunting or fishing for that matter where as when i worked at the pit 40 years ago their was a large majority that were into whippet racing pigeon racing fishing rabbiting coursing shooting digging following beagles you name it when you reach a certain age it's a gutter to see how things and society has changed.

I had a long post wrote out but it wouldnt embed,so il just say this f**k THE POLITICIANS HAHA

9 minutes ago, Francie, said:

I had a long post wrote out but it wouldnt embed,so il just say this f**k THE POLITICIANS HAHA

Politician's are NOT our friends. Thing i feel sad about is i have four grandsons and i dare not encourage them to even take an interest in my past interests like hunting and such like though my fishing tackle will be here for them if they take it up when older. My old diaries and photo albums of past day's and escapades since the 70s are firmly out of their reach and not a year passes were i dont contemplate putting a match to them all.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Politician's are NOT our friends. Thing i feel sad about is i have four grandsons and i dare not encourage them to even take an interest in my past interests like hunting and such like though my fishing tackle will be here for them if they take it up when older. My old diaries and photo albums of past day's and escapades since the 70s are firmly out of their reach and not a year passes were i dont contemplate putting a match to them all.

Exactly the same here 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, mC HULL said:

nothing better then out in the country walking with the dogs when things are on your mind helped me threw some bad times ?

the dogs hunting and fishing have kept me on the straight and narrow since my teenage years ...lost my interest in fishing the last few seasons..have been enjoying going out,bushing rabbits for the Russell's and runner and shooting a catty,not worrying about dogs dropping in where they shouldn't..Wales banned snaring foxes in August last yr...I've had dog walkers telling me I can't snare rabbits now?

no doubt they will confuse the new laws in Scotland as being across the whole of the UK?

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

don't destroy them pal...think you will regret it in time?

I've got a block of 4 terrier galv runs,roof doors,sides, bellman and flint 4 X collars,Garmin GPS and collars for the runners,3 grey knocker boxes,7 collars,longnets in baskets,100 plus purse nets,shed full of live catch traps from rat to ?....then 43 yrs worth of hunting books etc....have seriously considered selling it all off...but it don't eat or drink?

.hope to retire at 50,sell the house and move to Europe where you may still be able to do abit...that's what's keeping me going tbf?

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

don't destroy them pal...think you will regret it in time?

I've got a block of 4 terrier galv runs,roof doors,sides, bellman and flint 4 X collars,Garmin GPS and collars for the runners,3 grey knocker boxes,7 collars,longnets in baskets,100 plus purse nets,shed full of live catch traps from rat to ?....then 43 yrs worth of hunting books etc....have seriously considered selling it all off...but it don't eat or drink?

.hope to retire at 50,sell the house and move to Europe where you may still be able to do abit...that's what's keeping me going tbf?

I hear you mate. I often wonder how my great grandkids would veiw me reading and viewing the pic's when I am long gone. My grandmother used to tell me tails of her Father and brothers who were poachers and the run ins they had as I nine year old I was memerorized by these stories and even though I never met them as they had passed away before I was born they were my heroes. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, tatsblisters said:

I wouldn't destroy them as they are memories that cant be taken away.

I have diaries and photo albums since 1987 and often dig them out to refresh my memory. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

There definatley not tats,please dont destroy your memories then they will have won the war,its not over yet....

I think you should encourage them,the tide will turn at some point,we need young guns to keep her lit an take on the fight.

My 12year old son an ten year old daughter are showing an interest on there own,i havent lushed them,so im on the look out for a whippet pup of working lines for them to start them off instead of a bullcross lol they also want a couple of ferrets so they will be getting them,dont give up tats

• Like 4
1 hour ago, tatsblisters said:

I hear you mate. I often wonder how my great grandkids would veiw me reading and viewing the pic's when I am long gone. My grandmother used to tell me tails of her Father and brothers who were poachers and the run ins they had as I nine year old I was memerorized by these stories and even though I never met them as they had passed away before I was born they were my heroes. 

I must admit all my old photo albums are worth more than gold to me, all my old dogs and memories and close friends who have passed away, all those memories. I could never ever part with mine. As a child my grandfather was a taxidermist and I used to see all the dogs lads prized catches stuffed and I was mesmerized by the tales of poaching  and from a young age I was hooked to dogs and hopping the hedge. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, paulus said:

Shit photos of photos but a few of the birds from over the years. The little owl was my first ever bird that i took from a nest back in 1975. 

327016975_898642421289175_6943174778202148177_n.jpg

327136167_716551893186250_4737130929619782587_n.jpg

327342339_721346752723938_8861543472586882890_n.jpg

327403238_949881586177691_2618848453853513731_n.jpg

327410723_1332629010862746_39664288866389846_n.jpg

327464746_1159509871372339_6650723899761909248_n.jpg

071.png

I spent last summer working 1 bench below a peregrine nest in the quarry.

Great seeing the parents rearing the 3 chick's.. for a few days I was directly below the nest..

Once flying watching the parents teaching them to hunt.plenty of misses in the beginning but they soon mastered the art..

A couple of times I was using the pecker on the bottom of the face and a flash would pass my front window..as a pigeon would fly under the machine arm trying to escape.the peregrine usually flew behind the machine.

Seeing them taking pigeons out midair was amazing..

First pic is of the chick's..

Second pic they are starting to strengthen there wings and blowing there white chick feathers off..

Screenshot_20230126_133607_Gallery.jpg.aafd53adeb24764e022c2be250faa653.jpgScreenshot_20230126_133557_Gallery.jpg.bd58cbe2fc0ff6ad921bccdf565644c0.jpg

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Leo Sayer said:

I must admit all my old photo albums are worth more than gold to me, all my old dogs and memories and close friends who have passed away, all those memories. I could never ever part with mine. As a child my grandfather was a taxidermist and I used to see all the dogs lads prized catches stuffed and I was mesmerized by the tales of poaching  and from a young age I was hooked to dogs and hopping the hedge. 

Same here mate I think it's just the ramblings of an old who is just getting older. 

• Like 1

Lads are being very pessimistic. I mean I'm sure most will probably just carry on but lets say you absolutely wanted to stay within the law, you can still hunt fox and rabbits to a gun, can still dig a fox, can still hunt and kill rats with dogs......

I'm in Ireland, my first love is following foot harriers and digging with terriers but through a series of life's turns I no longer keep hounds or a digging terrier and rarely can I travel the 1.5/2 hrs to follow friends packs so I keep myself very happy just mooching locally with my ratting terrier and little lurcher, we can still catch rabbits though. Things are changing here also, land needed for hounds is shrinking around me,  we're away off bans but in general the public especially where I live don't have time for hunting especially hounds etc....but no one bothers ya being at rats. I've met farmers out that I know would have ran me if I had harriers and been at foxes but were happy to let me be hunting the ditches and streams for rats. If I lived in Scotland I'd either carry on doing what ever you do or if I didn't want the hassle of looking over my shoulder I'd just adjust my hunting life to suit. Plenty of craic to be had bushing to guns with a pair of dogs, or setting up ratting team. If you had a gun out with you a lurcher could be used to retrieve 'shot' rabbits........

I'd prefer my small pack of harriers and a good fox terrier and hunt and dig away but nowadays that's not an option so I'm very happy to get out every Sunday just for a mooch locally.

• Like 3