Another Nail...

There may be one glint of light here all. The angling fraternity have highlighted many of the positive benefits of the sport to peoples physical and mental health therefore fishing it may be OK. Notably though we may find that its older people and possibly women coming into the sport rather than being passed down from parents/family to children. Its not perfect but it is what it is. 

Casting for Recovery

Tackling Minds | Fishing isn't a sport, it's a way of life!!!!

• Like 5

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

nothing better then out in the country walking with the dogs when things are on your mind helped me threw some bad times ?

Must admit i read posts like Francies posts above and others and while i wholeheartedly agree with the content it amazes me that so few people are actually willing to stand up and address why this is

Lol... Fella no one's giving up. Just it's 2023 I've been defending terrier work at the top in Ireland for over 10 years... I still hunt at least twice a week... But what is happening is a major

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Aled said:

There may be one glint of light here all. The angling fraternity have highlighted many of the positive benefits of the sport to peoples physical and mental health therefore fishing it may be OK. Notably though we may find that its older people and possibly women coming into the sport rather than being passed down from parents/family to children. Its not perfect but it is what it is. 

Casting for Recovery

Tackling Minds | Fishing isn't a sport, it's a way of life!!!!

The angling community are no allies to hunting and shooting.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Aled said:

A lot of us on here fish, hunt, and shoot, but i agree some sections of the angling community do feel they are not part of the fieldsports community. 

99% of those that only fish would not ally themselves to the hunting and shooting world. Plenty of us that hunt and shoot will also fish but we're the minority in the fishing world. They don't want to be tarred with that brush.

My point is, what the fishing mob are doing is of no benefit to us. IMO :thumbs:

• Like 3

Maybe its geographical as in my rural community where i was brought up nearly all local anglers also had another fieldsport hobby. Can't argue with what you are saying though especially after my experience of living in Cardiff where many of my work colleagues fished, but were against hunting etc.

Aled

• Like 3

Everyone i hunt with fishes as well, I dont do any shooting so we all either sea fish or coarse... the few shooting lads i know are into fly fishing...

I think the geographical comment could be right though ad to me fishing and hunting are pretty much combined, but we have easy access to the sea and to the land so that may play a part?

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Everyone i hunt with fishes as well, I dont do any shooting so we all either sea fish or coarse... the few shooting lads i know are into fly fishing...

I think the geographical comment could be right though ad to me fishing and hunting are pretty much combined, but we have easy access to the sea and to the land so that may play a part?

What percentage of people who fish (on the whole) would you say hunt or shoot game/vermin?

1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

99% of those that only fish would not ally themselves to the hunting and shooting world. Plenty of us that hunt and shoot will also fish but we're the minority in the fishing world. They don't want to be tarred with that brush.

My point is, what the fishing mob are doing is of no benefit to us. IMO :thumbs:

Born dont cut the nose off to spite the face, theres plums in our club and i have had run ins with them over hunting issues, but learn how they got their shit together and fight for their sport united, maybe those that hunt could do the same

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Born dont cut the nose off to spite the face, theres plums in our club and i have had run ins with them over hunting issues, but learn how they got their shit together and fight for their sport united, maybe those that hunt could do the same

I don't know how I've cut my nose off to spite anything mate. Nothing the fishing community do will benefit hunting or shooting because they keep their distance from us. And any initiatives they are using to promote themselves are already being used by hunting and shooting.

21 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

What percentage of people who fish (on the whole) would you say hunt or shoot game/vermin?

I worked in a tackle shop when I was younger, we were targeted by antis, chucked paint through the letter box, tried to start a fire once and graffiti shit on the walls... at the time Exeter Angling Centre was a nationally renowned shop and the owner was probably in the top 50 match amglers in the country... they all hated the anti field sport brigade as much as the hunting crowd... all I can say is everyone I know who hurts or fishes (including a few fishery owners) are very much aligned with protecting the sports (dont forget fisheries have to protect stock from  vermin, food from rats, etc....

I could no way give you a percentage that would be true nationally, I can only tell you that 100% of the people I deal with in fishing have no issue with hunting and in most cases (whether just pinging rats around the feed bins) actively are involved...

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I don't know how I've cut my nose off to spite anything mate. Nothing the fishing community do will benefit hunting or shooting because they keep their distance from us. And any initiatives they are using to promote themselves are already being used by hunting and shooting.

Hunting and fishing is both one and the same, a means to put food on ones table, they look after and manage the marine environments and hunters do the same on land, about time they worked togerher, as i hunted and fish myself and so do many others, but theres those among the ranks that think they are superior than others, they would sink all round them, they are the people to watch 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Over here people are shown the bad side so don’t really go out to see what goes on in the countryside legally mate, we ain’t even allowed to do rats at one pond if members are on 

There are people that hunt that don't agree with certain methods of hunting (look at the big game debates, or the disdain from some for mounted hunts)... there is no solidarity to the one cause which is to protect century old practices and traditions... if hunting could align with fishing there would be millions more supporters... if hunters could align with each other it would be a start

• Like 4