Most rabbits killed with one lurcher on nights lamping now let's be truthful lads about this one

30 minutes ago, TOMO said:

just for trigger....

trigger is correct we could have easy carried on this night...Venus had loads more running in her..as did buster...the last hour was just walking down a Lane shining over a gate and trigger running buster at the bunny's...I was just watching..I could have gone out over a few fields and bagged more...but it was nice watching young buster catching a good few

2010-01-26193223.jpg

Both me and the dog are a lot greyer now than back then lol

• Like 2

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? Taken a lot of rabbits over the last 60 years with various working dogs,....but, under the spotlight,..I would think that 78 with my Sadie , back in the 1980's would be the most that I've grassed in

try again.. 63 taken the night before ....took this pic before we set off ferreting

It's not allways about numbers. Not to long ago, I was lucky enough to be invited to the Cairngorms for a weekend, by Northernlite and Taysider. We had a fantastic time, but one naysayer moc

Posted Images

Maybe I’m a bit jaded but the idea of skinning and gutting numbers of rabbits holds little pleasure to me and hasn’t for a few years. I can remember my mate hitting the deck one evening when we were gutting them as teenagers, the job just got to him and he went down like a sack of spuds. I’ve never worried that way but must admit I hate the smell of them now but I’ll happily do a hare of deer. So the idea of doing high numbers certainly holds no appeal and the poor price fetched makes it no more appealing,  I’m happy doing a few for the freezer to feed the dogs but beyond that I’d rather give them away and save the bother. I know some do it for the cash but in truth I can earn more in an hour at work or doing a painting than I could out of an evenings lamping so prefer to get out there to enjoy the dogs doing their stuff with a bit of a mixed palette and pick up rabbits as fillers to keep the dogs ticking over, perhaps if i had an outlet for numbers of whole bunnies it might be different.  Occasionally permission means I have to clear some numbers but even then I’m easily distracted, I was a bit more up for it as a lad but soon bored of it and got into coursing along with racing. I expect were all different and have different drivers to our sport and for some the numbers gain them some kudos but I like a bit of excitement and that seems to come with variety of game rather than numbers, after all variety is the spice of life and lurchers.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, OldPhil said:

?Never really been a candidate, for trying to get, an end of day/night type shot....

Back in my freelancing days, that was the very last thing on my mind? Here in the South, we have always had to endure a heavily keepered scenario,...and their powers were always backed up, with a fairly stringent police presence, combined with a Magistrates Court more than willing to impose the harshest fines possible, to offenders.

It has always been the same...

In fact, I have appeared in front of a Magistrate who was a paying member of the very Pheasant shoot that I had been visiting, after dark...Needless to say,..he was not a fair-minded man, and he tried his best to take all my money...?

So,..it has never been easy to kill game locally, and to keep on , keeping on, all night long...

Too many nosy farm folk and inhabitants to spot your beam, and most of them, all too willing, to turn out for their Boss..

Anyway,..being at it, every night of the week,..we won some and predictably, we lost some.?

However, when I went legal and started to take on rabbiting contracts,..things changed dramatically...

Very often I would fix a price to rid an agreed area of conies , over a set amount of time...

This entailed using every method known to man (and a few other devious twists, turns and dirty tricks).. 

Nowadays, I do not get worked up by the sight of a few dead conies, laid out on display,...the main reason being that when employed by a paying customer, be it a Government body or Ministry of Defence site, or even a wealthy landowner, sick of the sight of shushis all over his estate,.. there will often be, one hell of a lot of conies, accounted for...?

We have all seen that special place where the rabbits have lived in peace, protected by high wire fences and uniformed guards, patrolling the area on a regular basis..In short,..beautiful hunting grounds, but sadly,...out of bounds..

Its strange when you get the call to come along and give a price for a week's work, to knock the numbers down on such a veritable Shangri-La...

It took me fecking years to get used to it, and I spent my first few months still looking over my shoulder❗

Sometimes we would ferret a place, then lay rabbit wires, before leaving the site, plus we might activate the infamous, (but amazingly successful) Drop Boxes, all along the wire fence perimeter boundaries. 

Next morning we would reap the harvest from wires and boxes, and continue with the dogs and ferrets routine.

If you combined this type of full on onslaught with silenced rifles and a whole lot of other methods,...then, by feck,.. you are sure going to be killing, a truckload of rabbits....

Sometimes a job will produce several hundred bodies and it pays to find your buyer well before you commence work, or it will end up in a mad rush to 'get rid'.

Anyway,..the cheque is the main thing at the end of the day,...and I must admit, the taking of rabbits on a regular basis can often sour a man to the numbers game,...not all men of course, because we are all different, and some guys can never slate their thirst for killing,...but personally,...I now choose quality sport, spent in good company, with naturally skillful human and canine hunting pals,..to the regular mass slaughter of my quarry.....

I've killed quite enough over my lifetime, and as I always say to folk,.."If there IS a Heaven,.then I am most definitely, in shit street..."?

Stay safe Brothers,...all the best, Old Phil.?

img Scans167.jpg

img Scans181.jpg

img Scans182.jpg

img Scans162.jpg

Another good write up phil ??The bit about heaven at the end ???I think we all in for a treat when we come to our end being hunting folk 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

45 rabbits in 90mins in one large feild no mixi ,,when speed lamping was a craze back in the day,, wasn't her biggest bag but I couldn't be assed that night ,speed laming knackers u out sometimes ?1574090106_Screenshot_20210709-2110352.png.942f99efb451b5d03cf4d4a41c2515f1.png

Edited by MR RABBIT
Spelling
  • Like 3
53 minutes ago, MR RABBIT said:

45 rabbits in 90mins in one large feild no mixi ,,when speed lamping was a craze back in the day,, wasn't her biggest bag but I couldn't be assed that night ,speed laming knackers u out sometimes ?1574090106_Screenshot_20210709-2110352.png.942f99efb451b5d03cf4d4a41c2515f1.png

Took some amount of rabbits that bobcock did 

7 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Took some amount of rabbits that bobcock did 

I still have her father ,,and folk still want him to stud ,,,he's 14teen I tell them,,,ohhh but you sure he will still jump my bitch ,,iam like FFS no f**k off lol

• Haha 2
Just now, MR RABBIT said:

I still have her father ,,and folk still want him to stud ,,,he's 14teen I tell them,,,ohhh but you sure he will still jump my bitch ,,iam like FFS no f**k off lol

Sired some cracking litters he did 

5 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Sired some cracking litters he did 

He did alright added speed that's all ,and maybe temperament as very laid back he liked his own company ,,,seen that in a few his offspring owners saying there pups out him don't like greeting our guests and blank them ,lol if only every dog I owed was like that no hassle no getting under my feet 

Edited by MR RABBIT
  • Like 3
On 23/06/2021 at 01:19, TOMO said:

try again..

63 taken the night before ....took this pic before we set off ferreting

IMG_1348_zps882c02cf.jpg

She was a good bitch for you wasnt she. I remember the days of the room gate pics, the halcyon era ? got on mate, you have walked the walk and no one can take that from you. 

6 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

She was a good bitch for you wasnt she. I remember the days of the room gate pics, the halcyon era ? got on mate, you have walked the walk and no one can take that from you. 

thanks for the kind words....

but your making it sound like im finished....lol.....hopefully im still walking the walk...

you young whipper snapper....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
11 hours ago, MR RABBIT said:

No many speed lampers about now bob 

On 23/06/2021 at 07:02, TOMO said:

did you never go back mate and try again??

i know jim who used to be on here as terryjones....and loftie from moochers have both done the tone with a single dog ....im sure they had 300 odd over 3-4 days on some other islands ...jim had some good photos of the catch..

Is this the one Tomo ?

IMG_20201208_182809.jpg

• Like 1

127 and a hare with my old bitch it was one of the first nights id lamped the perm and only ever broke the 100 twice regular nights were 60/70. I'd be fcucked now doing that I'd just passed my test and was mad keen. I'm happy with 10/15 now 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, TOMO said:

thanks for the kind words....

but your making it sound like im finished....lol.....hopefully im still walking the walk...

you young whipper snapper....lol

Sorry ? I just meant I don’t think we will probably see the likes of those gate pictures like we used to? The numbers just ain’t there ?