Most rabbits killed with one lurcher on nights lamping now let's be truthful lads about this one

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? Taken a lot of rabbits over the last 60 years with various working dogs,....but, under the spotlight,..I would think that 78 with my Sadie , back in the 1980's would be the most that I've grassed in

try again.. 63 taken the night before ....took this pic before we set off ferreting

It's not allways about numbers. Not to long ago, I was lucky enough to be invited to the Cairngorms for a weekend, by Northernlite and Taysider. We had a fantastic time, but one naysayer moc

Posted Images

6 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Didn't  Minshaw's 'Blue' take over a 100 single handed? Could be beer tent bullshit, but I think there was a photo perhaps in The Shooting News as 'evidence'?

He took huge numbers of hares on lamp single handed, Blue and brown, cannot remember numbers but huge numbers.

For those of you interested, when we caught huge numbers of rabbits, they were never gutted.! 

They were collected by a van 3 time a week from a company called northern marketing. 

They were for dog food, pressure cooked, pressure fed through sieves and then extruded into the plastic sausages you see in supermarkets. The stench from the factory was awful and all that was left of the entire rabbit/sheep etc was teeth and hair.!!!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, levigsp said:

For those of you interested, when we caught huge numbers of rabbits, they were never gutted.! 

They were collected by a van 3 time a week from a company called northern marketing. 

They were for dog food, pressure cooked, pressure fed through sieves and then extruded into the plastic sausages you see in supermarkets. The stench from the factory was awful and all that was left of the entire rabbit/sheep etc was teeth and hair.!!!

where were you living when you got those big bags mate...were you in caithness ..or somewhere else

13 hours ago, Leo Sayer said:

Many years later we stayed up there and my mate new Tommy so we called for a brew for a chat. He long since give up with the lurches and then kept collies sheep dogs. I found time a nice quiet spoken fella very hospitable and he kindly pointed us in the direction of a few spots to hit. 

Yes, Tommy was a real nice fellah,...we hunted together,.... I liked him a lot...?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Yes, Tommy was a real nice fellah,...we hunted together,.... I liked him a lot...?

Tommy is a nice bloke and always helpful if you needed help.. He killed a lot of rabbits when they were here, but it was fast and furious style of lamping, his dogs didnt jump, just slid between the wires[not possible now] and they didnt get chance to retrieve as he got to them too soon. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, levigsp said:

Tommy is a nice bloke and always helpful if you needed help.. He killed a lot of rabbits when they were here, but it was fast and furious style of lamping, his dogs didnt jump, just slid between the wires[not possible now] and they didnt get chance to retrieve as he got to them too soon. 

We hunted quite a few in tussock grass and reeds, as soon as the dog had one we ran over took the rabbit and lamped the next, very fast. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, levigsp said:

My mate told me that , that Tommy little whippety types slid through the wire. And my mates big minshaw dogs couldn't do that type of running at that time on those fields with that type of fencing. He described it similar to railway fencing . 

14 hours ago, levigsp said:

Do ya not reckon dogs that kill alot of rabbits usually stop retrieving anyway ?

59 minutes ago, C.green said:

Do ya not reckon dogs that kill alot of rabbits usually stop retrieving anyway ?

I only had whippet terrier crosses do that. I had dogs that ran every season for 10 years, never stopped and retired them from running and used as gundog/retriever 

5 hours ago, Leo Sayer said:

My mate told me that , that Tommy little whippety types slid through the wire. And my mates big minshaw dogs couldn't do that type of running at that time on those fields with that type of fencing. He described it similar to railway fencing . 

Caithness used to be fenced with single strand wires 9" apart with barbed wire on top. 

It gradually changed to rylock [square mesh sheep/pig  net]and barbed wire.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Leo Sayer said:

Yes he was right, the Minshaw dogs were far to big, but they sailed over the wires. There was couple of lads that came up with them, one eventually moved over to Alsatian cross. I cannot remember names. when the rabbit numbers crashed in Caithness I moved onto other things.

Edited by levigsp