Most rabbits killed with one lurcher on nights lamping now let's be truthful lads about this one

1 hour ago, Kalibrgun said:

127 and a hare with my old bitch it was one of the first nights id lamped the perm and only ever broke the 100 twice regular nights were 60/70. I'd be fcucked now doing that I'd just passed my test and was mad keen. I'm happy with 10/15 now 

is that 1 dog mate

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? Taken a lot of rabbits over the last 60 years with various working dogs,....but, under the spotlight,..I would think that 78 with my Sadie , back in the 1980's would be the most that I've grassed in

try again.. 63 taken the night before ....took this pic before we set off ferreting

It's not allways about numbers. Not to long ago, I was lucky enough to be invited to the Cairngorms for a weekend, by Northernlite and Taysider. We had a fantastic time, but one naysayer moc

Posted Images

21 hours ago, TOMO said:

is that 1 dog mate

Was that night yes. I think a good 45/50 were squatters it was a perfect night for them bit of wind. It was when there were very good numbers then myxi knocked them couple year after lucky to do 20/30 a night now. I went for a walk up with my lad and the pup yesterday afternoon the farmers wanting some shooting around the house we got 18 the pup knocked 2 up and caught them. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Kalibrgun said:

Was that night yes. I think a good 45/50 were squatters it was a perfect night for them bit of wind. It was when there were very good numbers then myxi knocked them couple year after lucky to do 20/30 a night now. I went for a walk up with my lad and the pup yesterday afternoon the farmers wanting some shooting around the house we got 18 the pup knocked 2 up and caught them. 

Hell of a bag that is mate for 1 dog however they where caught, how’s was the dog bred and do you have any pics of the dog. Would be nice to have a bit more background on the dog ?

6 minutes ago, Night Walker said:

Hell of a bag that is mate for 1 dog however they where caught, how’s was the dog bred and do you have any pics of the dog. Would be nice to have a bit more background on the dog ?

I'll try find some sire was a saluki bull grey that Trev bred off here put over a coursing bitch. 24" nicely build and game as hell took whatever got up struggled on fallow bucks but hinds and prickers no bother. I'd just passed my test when she was ready to start young and dumb hammering her 2/3/4 nights a week shed killed more at 14/15 month than most lads dogs I know had killed in a couple of seasons she was done running at 6 but then had a couple year with a keeper for round the holes. I'd give everything I own for that bitch back as a pup knowing what I know now she'd have had less graft young but would she of still made the grade she did ? I'll never know I just have the memories of her now. I never took a litter from her either which I kick myself for but saw it as a ballache not having her to run and messing with pups.

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, Night Walker said:

Fair play to you for giving her the graft and testing her. Sounds like a great dog to own, sometimes we don’t realise what we had until it’s gone do we

I was 18 and had only had a beddy whippet grey and a whippet it was a different world when I had her I could run stuff the others had only ever pricked their ears at lol. We went to a pals perm in Derbyshire with my bitch her litter sister and brother came home with a couple of rabbits and 17 hares I'd never seen 17 hares in front of me til we bred that litter. 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Night Walker said:

The sire to his bitch that I bred was out of a first cross bull greyhound bitch which I got off a traveler when she was ten months old, worked her for ten years and I don’t have 1 pick of her , I just didn’t take them much back then with having to go to the chemist to get them developed, she was very well known around here for her work with terriers bushing and around the holes. She also was a good lamping bitch on the rabbits but no good around ferrets. The dog I put over her was a match dog called Paddy, he was a mix of saluki greyhound with some whippet in the mix . The fella that owned him went coursing for years with Marcus Parish that owned Lucky but he also used Paddy on the lamp and he’d get stuck into most things he was a very good little all rounder ?

Edited by Trev70
  • Like 4
On 10/07/2021 at 09:03, nothernlite said:

No many speed lampers about now bob 

Yeah no many now ,,,I only knew it was 90 mins as ,,she was up against the guy and his rifle that night they agreed to pick me up hour half later ,,the rifle young guns came back way 12 ,,,while I filled up there motor way 45 ,,,she missed her first 5 going into feild ,,,,as they say bullets can't run round corners but a dog can ,,she beat same gun on hares on another night ,guy tryed to get her off me ,,but on a dark night ,don't bet against a dog when rabbits ain't sitting for the shot lol

Edited by MR RABBIT
18 minutes ago, MR RABBIT said:

Yeah no many now ,,,I only knew it was 90 mins as ,,she was up against the guy and his rifle that night they agreed to pick me up hour half later ,,the rifle young guns came back way 12 ,,,while I filled up there motor way 45 ,,,she missed her first 5 going into feild ,,,,as they say bullets can't run round corners but a dog can ,,she beat same gun on hares on another night ,guy tryed to get her off me ,,but on a dark night ,don't bet against a dog when rabbits ain't sitting for the shot lol

Brilliant ? feck them rifle boys 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, Trev70 said:

The sire to his bitch that I bred was out of a first cross bull greyhound bitch which I got off a traveler when she was ten months old, worked her for ten years and I don’t have 1 pick of her , I just didn’t take them much back then with having to go to the chemist to get them developed, she was very well known around here for her work with terriers bushing and around the holes. She also was a good lamping bitch on the rabbits but no good around ferrets. The dog I put over her was a match dog called Paddy, he was a mix of saluki greyhound with some whippet in the mix . The fella that owned him went coursing for years with Marcus Parish that owned Lucky but he also used Paddy on the lamp and he’d get stuck into most things he was a very good little all rounder ?

Sounds a bit like the red dog paddy I ended up with he was a fast dog put me some gear away. There's only 2 pups left off old Archie one from the same litter as my good bitch but he threw a big heavy type dog the poor lads going blind now so won't be with us much longer and a really light bitch out of the second litter but the lad who has her probably won't of been out for a few years with her. Shame really she was flying as a pup but I had to let her go falling out with the ex and only had room for one at the time 

Edited by Kalibrgun
5 hours ago, Kalibrgun said:

Sounds a bit like the red dog paddy I ended up with he was a fast dog put me some gear away. There's only 2 pups left off old Archie one from the same litter as my good bitch but he threw a big heavy type dog the poor lads going blind now so won't be with us much longer and a really light bitch out of the second litter but the lad who has her probably won't of been out for a few years with her. Shame really she was flying as a pup but I had to let her go falling out with the ex and only had room for one at the time 

End of a good line then mate by the sound of it. There was some bitches doing very well in the Lakes out of a later litter that I bred out of the old bitch to a bull cross but I lost contact with them when times changed for me and their just not my kind of dog these days now I'm a old ferreting man ?, atb ?.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Trev70 said:

End of a good line then mate by the sound of it. There was some bitches doing very well in the Lakes out of a later litter that I bred out of the old bitch to a bull cross but I lost contact with them when times changed for me and their just not my kind of dog these days now I'm a old ferreting man ?, atb ?.

Be too late even to take straws off him I reckon. Shane because the first litter we kept all the pups between the lads who we were out with and all of them made it not one had a reverse and could run forever too I remember the white bitch ran a fallow in pitch black ground was just white with a sprinkling of snow she was gone for what felt like 10 min then we heard the bouding past another couple min it went quiet we got to it she had it over hold of his face. That was the bitch I had with me when I bumped into you at that perm behind my old college ?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I once took a lad from Doncaster out to show him what was possible in Caithness.

September 87 a Monday spent ferreting resulted in 87 rabbit netted 15 caught with dog.

Tuesday left house at 8-30pm and drove 60miles, lamped in 20-30mph wind and heavy rain with two dogs, got home at 4.40am and counted rabbits as we unloaded them 208.

Wednesday went coursing Blue hairs 30miles from home, Took 3 dogs in afternoon and took 9 hares. 

Thursday spent 4 hours shooting rabbits with 22 from car as needed a rest, took 132,

Friday went lamping at 9-30pm with same two dogs used earlier in week. we got home wind swept at 2.30am with 2 foxes, a three legged hare, and 241 rabbits.

These are extracts from mt diary. and this was not a one off as i took lads from Cumbria out who took van full of rabbits home every other week, working four dogs a night between us we would take over 400. And not just in Caithness, did a 100 at Reeth and over the 100 on numerous occasions at Cerne in Dorset.

The dogs I used were  mostly Collie Greyhound 1st and 2nd crosses, and yes a Certain author used my tales as his own!  Far too old to run dogs now even if I wanted.

• Like 10