Most rabbits killed with one lurcher on nights lamping now let's be truthful lads about this one

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? Taken a lot of rabbits over the last 60 years with various working dogs,....but, under the spotlight,..I would think that 78 with my Sadie , back in the 1980's would be the most that I've grassed in

try again.. 63 taken the night before ....took this pic before we set off ferreting

It's not allways about numbers. Not to long ago, I was lucky enough to be invited to the Cairngorms for a weekend, by Northernlite and Taysider. We had a fantastic time, but one naysayer moc

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Mother_Mary said:

Was on North Uist last year. Hardly a rabbit to be seen now. Plenty geese though 

shame that never saw anything like the numbers there anywere else in scotland but aye there was a loada geese the sea trout fishing is meant to be exellent up there id love to go back up for a bash at them

Never really had huge bags of rabbits, I guess low 30's is about it with one dog, and to be honest, that's probably the exception rather than the rule.

I remember, and get more pleasure, out of what I call " one fielders"; like when a Beddy type took ten rabbits and a hare from one field, or when a deer x took five hares from one field, on the lamp.

Other things that give me great pleasure is when a young dog takes its first daytime roe buck, or when a nine year old bitch has its first run out of a motor on fallow, and pulls the first and only one it runs, without making a fool of itself or me !

A dogs first hare/fox/roe are also memorable.

I admire the dogs and men that take huge bags, a while back on here there was big arguments about a single dog doing "the ton"; of course it's been done, I knew a dog back in the 70's that did it at Stirling, I still have a pic somewhere, but let's not forget, the place was lifting with rabbits back then.

Cheers.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

Never really had huge bags of rabbits, I guess low 30's is about it with one dog, and to be honest, that's probably the exception rather than the rule.

I remember, and get more pleasure, out of what I call " one fielders"; like when a Beddy type took ten rabbits and a hare from one field, or when a deer x took five hares from one field, on the lamp.

Other things that give me great pleasure is when a young dog takes its first daytime roe buck, or when a nine year old bitch has its first run out of a motor on fallow, and pulls the first and only one it runs, without making a fool of itself or me !

I admire the dogs and men that take huge bags, a while back on here there was big arguments about a single dog doing "the ton"; of course it's been done, I knew a dog back in the 70's that did it at Stirling, I still have a pic somewhere, but let's not forget, the place was lifting with rabbits back then.

Cheers.

Can’t catch what’s not there , 

Was out with a lad one night, field’s were full of rabbits. He was running a 5/8 bull greyhound bitch , we stopped on 21 rabbits so we could have a bash the following weekend, the bitch could have done 50 + that night. The following weekend we saw next to nothing.. I phoned farmer next day and he said he’d let his nephew on with rimfire … morel of the story.. if the rabbits are there and the dogs fit enough… carry on and fill your freezer.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

I'd agree with all that Charts ?

Used to love getting good rabbit numbers back in the day but there were more memorable nights on different quarry for me too.

Though that week with the 3 x 30 was decent. On the dunes, my fave speck back then. It'd always held serious numbers and 20+ was an average couple of hours on there, with a run on a fox or two and sometimes over Altcar for a gallop on one or two if its inhabitants....

I'd gone the first night, hit 25 and decided to head for home, nabbed another 5 on the way back and left with 30. Two days later it was blowing a hooley and i went the same place, it was lifting, better than before. The dog was mad keen and we went at em again. Well within a couple of hours we'd hit 30 and home i went, wondering what to do with this lot.

Next day it's still blowing, the dogs still bouncing and i went again. Turned off the main road and the dogs whining like a banshee to get started. We did, and had an almost identical night as the last. With a dog that could of ran double that number..!!

The biggest issue was trying to find homes for all them rabbits, my freezer was full and i just couldn't find many takers, even for fully dressed rabbits and i sadly confess, i dumped loads... ?

Between that and that stink of rabbit dressing that was stuck up my nose for days after, i never pushed for a number after and though i still loved a night on the bunnys, it was more about an enjoyable night, than how many i cought.

Sadly, if you went there now, or in the past 15 years and cought 5, you'd of had a bloody good night...

26 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

I'd agree with all that Charts ?

Used to love getting good rabbit numbers back in the day but there were more memorable nights on different quarry for me too.

Though that week with the 3 x 30 was decent. On the dunes, my fave speck back then. It'd always held serious numbers and 20+ was an average couple of hours on there, with a run on a fox or two and sometimes over Altcar for a gallop on one or two if its inhabitants....

I'd gone the first night, hit 25 and decided to head for home, nabbed another 5 on the way back and left with 30. Two days later it was blowing a hooley and i went the same place, it was lifting, better than before. The dog was mad keen and we went at em again. Well within a couple of hours we'd hit 30 and home i went, wondering what to do with this lot.

Next day it's still blowing, the dogs still bouncing and i went again. Turned off the main road and the dogs whining like a banshee to get started. We did, and had an almost identical night as the last. With a dog that could of ran double that number..!!

The biggest issue was trying to find homes for all them rabbits, my freezer was full and i just couldn't find many takers, even for fully dressed rabbits and i sadly confess, i dumped loads... ?

Between that and that stink of rabbit dressing that was stuck up my nose for days after, i never pushed for a number after and though i still loved a night on the bunnys, it was more about an enjoyable night, than how many i cought.

Sadly, if you went there now, or in the past 15 years and cought 5, you'd of had a bloody good night...

It's not allways about numbers.

Not to long ago, I was lucky enough to be invited to the Cairngorms for a weekend, by Northernlite and Taysider.

We had a fantastic time, but one naysayer mocked the fact we "only" caught 73 rabbits and ten white hares.

But it wasn't about numbers, it was about the whole experience; catching quarry I had never even seen before, running on grounds I'd never done before, seeing golden eagles floating in the sky above our heads, sitting in front of a roaring fire in the shooting lodge enjoying the craic and a drink, seeing other types of dogs run.

An experience I'll never forget.

IMG_0560.JPG.99b13de119721e3120fa1d773ad172d9.JPG

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 18

Rabbits are great for keeping a dog ticking over whilst you look for something more interesting and they get you permission. Mind i had a call couple of days ago, can i go out to a piece of ground, just been cut and running with 3/4 grown rabbits, it was the shortest night of the year and ground like concrete... gave em a non comital answer but will have to get out after first decent bit of rain has softened the ground and the grass has got a bit of growth. I'll tape up the stoppers etc.

?Never really been a candidate, for trying to get, an end of day/night type shot....

Back in my freelancing days, that was the very last thing on my mind? Here in the South, we have always had to endure a heavily keepered scenario,...and their powers were always backed up, with a fairly stringent police presence, combined with a Magistrates Court more than willing to impose the harshest fines possible, to offenders.

It has always been the same...

In fact, I have appeared in front of a Magistrate who was a paying member of the very Pheasant shoot that I had been visiting, after dark...Needless to say,..he was not a fair-minded man, and he tried his best to take all my money...?

So,..it has never been easy to kill game locally, and to keep on , keeping on, all night long...

Too many nosy farm folk and inhabitants to spot your beam, and most of them, all too willing, to turn out for their Boss..

Anyway,..being at it, every night of the week,..we won some and predictably, we lost some.?

However, when I went legal and started to take on rabbiting contracts,..things changed dramatically...

Very often I would fix a price to rid an agreed area of conies , over a set amount of time...

This entailed using every method known to man (and a few other devious twists, turns and dirty tricks).. 

Nowadays, I do not get worked up by the sight of a few dead conies, laid out on display,...the main reason being that when employed by a paying customer, be it a Government body or Ministry of Defence site, or even a wealthy landowner, sick of the sight of shushis all over his estate,.. there will often be, one hell of a lot of conies, accounted for...?

We have all seen that special place where the rabbits have lived in peace, protected by high wire fences and uniformed guards, patrolling the area on a regular basis..In short,..beautiful hunting grounds, but sadly,...out of bounds..

Its strange when you get the call to come along and give a price for a week's work, to knock the numbers down on such a veritable Shangri-La...

It took me fecking years to get used to it, and I spent my first few months still looking over my shoulder❗

Sometimes we would ferret a place, then lay rabbit wires, before leaving the site, plus we might activate the infamous, (but amazingly successful) Drop Boxes, all along the wire fence perimeter boundaries. 

Next morning we would reap the harvest from wires and boxes, and continue with the dogs and ferrets routine.

If you combined this type of full on onslaught with silenced rifles and a whole lot of other methods,...then, by feck,.. you are sure going to be killing, a truckload of rabbits....

Sometimes a job will produce several hundred bodies and it pays to find your buyer well before you commence work, or it will end up in a mad rush to 'get rid'.

Anyway,..the cheque is the main thing at the end of the day,...and I must admit, the taking of rabbits on a regular basis can often sour a man to the numbers game,...not all men of course, because we are all different, and some guys can never slate their thirst for killing,...but personally,...I now choose quality sport, spent in good company, with naturally skillful human and canine hunting pals,..to the regular mass slaughter of my quarry.....

I've killed quite enough over my lifetime, and as I always say to folk,.."If there IS a Heaven,.then I am most definitely, in shit street..."?

Stay safe Brothers,...all the best, Old Phil.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 16
On 23/06/2021 at 08:12, Bosun11 said:

64 with one dog, back in about 1991.

Though took 30 rabbits three times in the same week, from the same speck, with the same dog.

Funnily enough, that dog was one of those no wind half cross bull bloods... ?

is that why I got banned bosun you didn’t like what I said about half bulls  ???

12 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

?Never really been a candidate, for trying to get, an end of day/night type shot....

Back in my freelancing days, that was the very last thing on my mind? Here in the South, we have always had to endure a heavily keepered scenario,...and their powers were always backed up, with a fairly stringent police presence, combined with a Magistrates Court more than willing to impose the harshest fines possible, to offenders.

It has always been the same...

In fact, I have appeared in front of a Magistrate who was a paying member of the very Pheasant shoot that I had been visiting, after dark...Needless to say,..he was not a fair-minded man, and he tried his best to take all my money...?

So,..it has never been easy to kill game locally, and to keep on , keeping on, all night long...

Too many nosy farm folk and inhabitants to spot your beam, and most of them, all too willing, to turn out for their Boss..

Anyway,..being at it, every night of the week,..we won some and predictably, we lost some.?

However, when I went legal and started to take on rabbiting contracts,..things changed dramatically...

Very often I would fix a price to rid an agreed area of conies , over a set amount of time...

This entailed using every method known to man (and a few other devious twists, turns and dirty tricks).. 

Nowadays, I do not get worked up by the sight of a few dead conies, laid out on display,...the main reason being that when employed by a paying customer, be it a Government body or Ministry of Defence site, or even a wealthy landowner, sick of the sight of shushis all over his estate,.. there will often be, one hell of a lot of conies, accounted for...?

We have all seen that special place where the rabbits have lived in peace, protected by high wire fences and uniformed guards, patrolling the area on a regular basis..In short,..beautiful hunting grounds, but sadly,...out of bounds..

Its strange when you get the call to come along and give a price for a week's work, to knock the numbers down on such a veritable Shangri-La...

It took me fecking years to get used to it, and I spent my first few months still looking over my shoulder❗

Sometimes we would ferret a place, then lay rabbit wires, before leaving the site, plus we might activate the infamous, (but amazingly successful) Drop Boxes, all along the wire fence perimeter boundaries. 

Next morning we would reap the harvest from wires and boxes, and continue with the dogs and ferrets routine.

If you combined this type of full on onslaught with silenced rifles and a whole lot of other methods,...then, by feck,.. you are sure going to be killing, a truckload of rabbits....

Sometimes a job will produce several hundred bodies and it pays to find your buyer well before you commence work, or it will end up in a mad rush to 'get rid'.

Anyway,..the cheque is the main thing at the end of the day,...and I must admit, the taking of rabbits on a regular basis can often sour a man to the numbers game,...not all men of course, because we are all different, and some guys can never slate their thirst for killing,...but personally,...I now choose quality sport, spent in good company, with naturally skillful human and canine hunting pals,..to the regular mass slaughter of my quarry.....

I've killed quite enough over my lifetime, and as I always say to folk,.."If there IS a Heaven,.then I am most definitely, in shit street..."?

Stay safe Brothers,...all the best, Old Phil.?

img Scans167.jpg

img Scans181.jpg

img Scans182.jpg

img Scans162.jpg

First time I was up for Trespass in Pusuit of Game or Coney, one of the three Magistrates was actually the Landowner of the land I'd been caught on !!

First thing he did was lean over to the Clerk of the Court and ask what was the harshest penalty he could impose !

£60 , more than two weeks wages back then.

Cheers.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, mC HULL said:

is that why I got banned bosun you didn’t like what I said about half bulls  ???

Of course not mC, you can say what you want about em, i've got a coursing dog now... ?

21 hours ago, trigger2 said:

53 and a goose, I stopped at that because I had another hard night's lamping planned the next night and the same dog had already done 33 and a goose the night before. 

Had a good night with tomo we had 85 I think with 2 dogs a hare and a partridge between us. Wish we has carried on to do the ton that night.

Best bag local 51 with one dog and 71 with 2 dogs, birds Bryn ran himself hard that night.

Same dog used in all the above nights

just for trigger....

trigger is correct we could have easy carried on this night...Venus had loads more running in her..as did buster...the last hour was just walking down a Lane shining over a gate and trigger running buster at the bunny's...I was just watching..I could have gone out over a few fields and bagged more...but it was nice watching young buster catching a good few

2010-01-26193223.jpg

• Like 8