Good deer dogs (pure)

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Running fast hounds after Deer, in dense woodland,.. well, its pretty obvious that sooner or later, your dogs will get seriously hurt... ? Of course, back in the day, we were different men,....it

Never no when your life going to change for the worse 

I have to admit if I was looking after getting a dog for deer saluki would have to be in it's breeding. 

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

out in the open mate a fast dog make roe or fallow look slow mate i think i’d say roe have more speed than a fallow but most just rip that back leg tendon they slow right up 

With bigger deer it’s more having the balls to take the, than speed , I’ve seen coursing dogs that murder roe but will pull up on fallow , 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

A fast  anything will make a slow anything look slow. But you get some very good roe bucks. Mind you I might just be watching slow dogs ? 

i think roes do shift abit  mate but the dog closes the gap easily i think

1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

i think roes do shift abit  mate but the dog closes the gap easily i think

Any deer like any animal is a lot wiser ‘ smarter if it’s been dug / run before , certain parts of country will have better quarry than other parts 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Big Ron said:

With bigger deer it’s more having the balls to take the, than speed , I’ve seen coursing dogs that murder roe but will pull up on fallow , 

50 60 kg would be about the biggest fallow i’d end up with preban there bigger other parts a country me little bitch like a carrier bag in the wind on a rod buck ? 

try and try she does ? 

Just now, Big Ron said:

Any deer like any animal is a lot wiser ‘ smarter if it’s been dug / run before , certain parts of country will have better quarry than other parts 

round me is hammered a fair bit mate lamping most nights you’d bump into lads see lads lamping side a the road 

a quick dog is a lot faster than any bambi 

3 hours ago, mush said:

What do you call a small field. And are you walking or in jeep.

I was daytime walking with my lurchers.

We do have large fields in my area but rich men pay big money to stalk hunt all winter.If you get caught poaching deer or lamping deer you go directly to jail.They take your truck.Poaching deer in my area has always been considered the worst wildlife crime imaginable.

The fields bordering the swamps where I took my lurchers are chopped up in about 5 acre blocks surrounded by briars,vines and river cane.(bamboo)

14 minutes ago, Big Ron said:

It’s also a bit like most other quarry, and dogs and indeed people ......lots are average, some are shit and some are good.

17 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

It’s also a bit like most other quarry, and dogs and indeed people ......lots are average, some are shit and some are good.

Oh yes don’t I know it ??  But in all 3 it’s easy to work out if you’ve been about a bit ?

Edited by Big Ron
2 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

I’d say it’s some and some. Pre ban, seen dogs straight like deer, take them out of the seat, and yards from cover etc. Also seen dogs made to look silly by pretty much every type of deer, and a good strong fallow or roe buck out in the open and motoring isn’t slow, and a good size fallow when running flat out (especially with any gradient) is a rough thing to stop dead in the open. Takes the right dog. 

Speed don't mean f**k all if there's nothing to bounce them off for most fallow, doesn't take balls either. Big deer are a skill, seen dogs that won't take fox take fallow

1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

out in the open mate a fast dog make roe or fallow look slow mate i think i’d say roe have more speed than a fallow but most just rip that back leg tendon they slow right up 

Will make it look slow, don't mean it'll grass it. Big fallow are like halfway between a horse and a cow. They take stopping 

• Haha 1