Good deer dogs (pure)

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Running fast hounds after Deer, in dense woodland,.. well, its pretty obvious that sooner or later, your dogs will get seriously hurt... ? Of course, back in the day, we were different men,....it

Never no when your life going to change for the worse 

I have to admit if I was looking after getting a dog for deer saluki would have to be in it's breeding. 

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Didn't a member on here import a  staghound from the states??? Then put it to his lurcher???  Or have I been smoking too much??? Any help would be appreciated ?

That one?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

I’m pretty sure that folk like Dan edwards an them guys had some awsome yote dogs but even they said they couldn’t get near to most healthy deer, could be wrong tho ?

I'd have thought a lurcher would stop a deer in ?? just like they can here.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SheepChaser said:

Most deer caught in woods are unlucky. They either get pushed into the dog by another dog, break too late and get pulled over in a few yards as they break from cover or happen to run across a track or ride at the wrong moment, or just run into something. Only a few are coursed flat out through the woods and pulled over as would be in an open field. 

Not many juks going to last long coursing deer flat out in Woodlands,like you say better chance out in open .

54 minutes ago, MH1 said:

That one?

I have the pup bottom of picture, on the right. She is 7 months old tomorrow, 28ins at the shoulder & 27 kilo. I collected her from Myersbg & couldn't ask for a better pup. American Stag/Collie Grey dam & DH/Collie Grey sire. I will try to pup up some photos when I can get her to stand still. 

• Like 7

Like everything , more a dog does better it gets at it .

Big Ron’s had a few 1/2s that excelled in the woods, these were on the bigger deer thou , all my dogs are out everyday / nite in woods , playing , exercising, working  etc sometimes I don’t even hit the fields just lamp woods as it holds everything I need .

• Like 4
On 19/09/2019 at 03:55, BillyBlue said:

what breeds excluding lurchers can work deer in a woodland/plane area, (it is legal where I live btw). I have a Black lab x bull x collie bitch who is rapid on squirrel and rabbit/hare in extremely woody areas, on the east coast there are no speedy lurchers around, the lurchers in the states for the most part are just slow greyhounds with funny coats, no real footing or speed, I would love to be wrong about that tho.

I was thinking of a track bitch or a borzoi but I really don't know so any info would be great.

No dout some juks get a nack for it but I Think a track bitch would end up smashed or dead running deer in forests .think best way is to push them out into the open then let the runner do its job .

13 minutes ago, Big Ron said:

Like everything , more a dog does better it gets at it .

Big Ron’s had a few 1/2s that excelled in the woods, these were on the bigger deer thou , all my dogs are out everyday / nite in woods , playing , exercising, working  etc sometimes I don’t even hit the fields just lamp woods as it holds everything I need .

Go on? 

Cheers, D.

1 minute ago, Moocher71 said:

I find it hard to walk through the woods without falling over dead /fallen trees and get ripped clothing on brambles and fall into ditches and that's a walk lol ? 

20211203_140847.jpg

20220110_130111.jpg

20220208_123631.jpg

20220205_104109.jpg

I can be like that but only after a skin full of Bullmers ?

• Haha 3
7 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Tsk tsk tsk, come on, big ron, BULMERS.

No wonder you're walking into trees and such like!!  ? ?

I change around every few weeks , bit old to be measuring dicks now and saying I drink 10 pints of Henry Weston’s , I go for taste now every time weather it’s 3 % 0r 9% ?

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Big Ron said:

I change around every few weeks , bit old to be measuring dicks now and saying I drink 10 pints of Henry Weston’s , I go for taste now every time weather it’s 3 % 0r 9% ?

Old Henry has had me in more than a few knots, over the years!!  ? ?

• Like 1