Good deer dogs (pure)

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Running fast hounds after Deer, in dense woodland,.. well, its pretty obvious that sooner or later, your dogs will get seriously hurt... ? Of course, back in the day, we were different men,....it

Never no when your life going to change for the worse 

I have to admit if I was looking after getting a dog for deer saluki would have to be in it's breeding. 

Posted Images

I have killed a few white tail with a bow :) . They are similar size to a fallow. 

In Maryland and Virgina where I have hunted it seems ideal country for working a lurcher or 2. Small blocks of wood surrounded by big corn fields. I've seen and owned a few types. Best to take deer I have seen was a collie hound. Can't see why a big 1/4 bred collie hound wouldn't take deer regularly. Those blocks of wood seem perfect for a lurcher to find and course deer from. A lot of the wood land in that part of the country that I have seen is mature and open, would def see a lurcher killing deer in it, but would also see one kill itself. 

Game wardens and rangers are a lot more plentiful over there and laws are a lot stricter from what I have experienced. You can get a fine for purposely lighting up a field with your car head lights, not to mind a lamp. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

The lurchers I had never took a whitetail.Small fields in my area.There is different areas across USA you can run deer with dogs.

The Irishman who gave me my lurchers took deer doubled up.

You need a field big enough and 2 lurchers who can push the deer hard enough to make a mistake.White tails have been running from stray dogs and coyotes since birth.They don't make many mistakes running.

These are my opinions of what I seen in Dixie.I can't speak for other areas of America. 

just need a faster lurcher mate lol

2 hours ago, mC HULL said:

and fallow arent very quick are they shark a fast dog make them look slow

I don't know how you reference fast or slow, Magoo, but no, I wouldn't say fallow in general are particularly fast, but, sometimes you'll get one that certainly is fast.

19 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I don't know how you reference fast or slow, Magoo, but no, I wouldn't say fallow in general are particularly fast, but, sometimes you'll get one that certainly is fast.

It's not there speed them makes them challenging its there size imo. Not many will take a strong fallow without something to bounce it off

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

The lurchers I had never took a whitetail.Small fields in my area.There is different areas across USA you can run deer with dogs.

The Irishman who gave me my lurchers took deer doubled up.

You need a field big enough and 2 lurchers who can push the deer hard enough to make a mistake.White tails have been running from stray dogs and coyotes since birth.They don't make many mistakes running.

These are my opinions of what I seen in Dixie.I can't speak for other areas of America. 

What do you call a small field. And are you walking or in jeep.

36 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

you get them out in open mate a fast dog closes the gap compared to a hare there a lot slower i think ?

I’d say it’s some and some. Pre ban, seen dogs straight like deer, take them out of the seat, and yards from cover etc. Also seen dogs made to look silly by pretty much every type of deer, and a good strong fallow or roe buck out in the open and motoring isn’t slow, and a good size fallow when running flat out (especially with any gradient) is a rough thing to stop dead in the open. Takes the right dog. 

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I’d say it’s some and some. Pre ban, seen dogs straight like deer, take them out of the seat, and yards from cover etc. Also seen dogs made to look silly by pretty much every type of deer, and a good strong fallow or roe buck out in the open and motoring isn’t slow, and a good size fallow when running flat out (especially with any gradient) is a rough thing to stop dead in the open. Takes the right dog. 

out in the open mate a fast dog make roe or fallow look slow mate i think i’d say roe have more speed than a fallow but most just rip that back leg tendon they slow right up 

4 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

out in the open mate a fast dog make roe or fallow look slow mate i think i’d say roe have more speed than a fallow but most just rip that back leg tendon they slow right up 

A fast  anything will make a slow anything look slow. But you get some very good roe bucks. Mind you I might just be watching slow dogs ?