Good deer dogs (pure)

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Running fast hounds after Deer, in dense woodland,.. well, its pretty obvious that sooner or later, your dogs will get seriously hurt... ? Of course, back in the day, we were different men,....it

Never no when your life going to change for the worse 

I have to admit if I was looking after getting a dog for deer saluki would have to be in it's breeding. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Different deer an diff land mate, tho m getting a decent slip might have been a problem to start with

Can’t think why you couldn’t kill deer in the states with running dogs. They have fallow and sika like we do, and white tails and mules aren’t that much bigger than fallow in general. 

• Like 2
Just now, SheepChaser said:

Can’t think why you couldn’t kill deer in the states with running dogs. They have fallow and sika like we do, and white tails and mules aren’t that much bigger than fallow in general. 

They struggle to get permits to shoot them , nevermind run with dogs lol...

27 minutes ago, Big Ron said:

I change around every few weeks , bit old to be measuring dicks now and saying I drink 10 pints of Henry Weston’s , I go for taste now every time weather it’s 3 % 0r 9% ?

not bad the old rosie 

beats the teenage years  supping white lightning white strike and the like 

5 minutes ago, Borr said:

They struggle to get permits to shoot them , nevermind run with dogs lol...

Yer that wasn’t the issue at hand, Folk were questioning the ability of dogs to run them, saying different deer etc. There are deffo folk killing deer with running dogs in the good old usa 

Just now, SheepChaser said:

Yer that wasn’t the issue at hand, Folk were questioning the ability of dogs to run them, saying different deer etc. There are deffo folk killing deer with running dogs in the good old usa 

I'm sure , just a far more permitted hunting scheme in the land of the free, and it becomes a ' well Jesse had a tag for a whitetailed buck or you're in bow/black powder/spear season lol , but yes I'm sure dogs have plenty out there....

1 minute ago, SheepChaser said:

If I had access to the firearms they have in the states, I wouldn't be running deer with dogs. Just not worth the risk.

Its like the posts you see on here of "whats the best old fashioned pot filling lurcher"...... none, a roll of brass wire can catch everything a dog can and more, plus it doesn't need fed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Different deer an diff land mate, tho m getting a decent slip might have been a problem to start with

Whitetail are about the same size as fallow, and it's not uncommon to see them feeding in fields and roadsides, I don't think it would be that difficult to get a run. 

9 minutes ago, mackem said:

Whitetail are about the same size as fallow, and it's not uncommon to see them feeding in fields and roadsides, I don't think it would be that difficult to get a run. 

Fallow is faster than whitetail.

33 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I’m just going off what the guys who actually run dogs over there said, no more, I never been over there, so il leave it to you experts ?

Without wanting to sound argumentative ......I remember that thread where Dan said his dogs got left for dead by the deer local to him. But I don’t think that means all deer all over the states are uncatchable to running dogs. 

People have bred dogs that will catch muntjac, roe, cwd, fallow, sika, red deer and boar in the uk, have taken sambar, barsinga, pigs and red kangaroos in oz, wolfs, jackals, hares and god knows what else everywhere else. 

And you’re telling me no one has a dog fast enough to catch fallow, sika and various other species of deer the similar size and speed to our fallow ...... on any of the range of different terrain found in the USA, including lots that’s just like ours....?

Logically why would that be ? 

Granted I have zero personal experience but I’m just not buying the idea no one is catching deer with dogs in the USA. There are plenty of lads with access to ground, quarry and dogs. It’s a big old place. 

19 minutes ago, shaaark said:

It's a shame that deerhounds aint as useful as they used to be.

It's all in their name/heritage.

Surely, if there is a breed worth resurecting, it must be these!!

I’ve still never seen a good one. Sure they are out there, they seem to be ok in nz and Oz, at least the xs anyway. 

The lurchers I had never took a whitetail.Small fields in my area.There is different areas across USA you can run deer with dogs.

The Irishman who gave me my lurchers took deer doubled up.

You need a field big enough and 2 lurchers who can push the deer hard enough to make a mistake.White tails have been running from stray dogs and coyotes since birth.They don't make many mistakes running.

These are my opinions of what I seen in Dixie.I can't speak for other areas of America. 

• Like 5