Good deer dogs (pure)

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Running fast hounds after Deer, in dense woodland,.. well, its pretty obvious that sooner or later, your dogs will get seriously hurt... ? Of course, back in the day, we were different men,....it

Never no when your life going to change for the worse 

I have to admit if I was looking after getting a dog for deer saluki would have to be in it's breeding. 

Posted Images

22 hours ago, gamerooster said:

If I had access to the firearms they have in the states, I wouldn't be running deer with dogs. Just not worth the risk.

Its like the posts you see on here of "whats the best old fashioned pot filling lurcher"...... none, a roll of brass wire can catch everything a dog can and more, plus it doesn't need fed.

Me grandad never had a dog for anything else but coursing hares and everything else he took with wires and catty ,also see Abe Stanley take a hare out its seat by hand ,he's  the only person I've seen do it and not just the once .

26 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Speed don't mean f**k all if there's nothing to bounce them off for most fallow, doesn't take balls either. Big deer are a skill, seen dogs that won't take fox take fallow

Will make it look slow, don't mean it'll grass it. Big fallow are like halfway between a horse and a cow. They take stopping 

? half way between a horse and cow ? your great south ? a facking shetland be 4 x the weight of a fallow ? bounce them off ? big open land there’s nothing to bounce em off 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Me grandad never had a dog for anything else but coursing hares and everything else he took with wires and catty ,also see Abe Stanley take a hare out its seat by hand ,he's  the only person I've seen do it and not just the once .

were abouts was abe from moocher ?

Edited by mC HULL
43 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Speed don't mean f**k all if there's nothing to bounce them off for most fallow, doesn't take balls either. Big deer are a skill, seen dogs that won't take fox take fallow

Will make it look slow, don't mean it'll grass it. Big fallow are like halfway between a horse and a cow. They take stopping 

Sorry I don't quite get you? Plenty of dogs catch fallow on the run in the open mate. And yes I agree with you that taking big deer requires level of skill from a dog, but I think it also does take bottle, to hit into something much bigger than you and ruck with it once its down. I would argue that fora lot of dogs, a fox is a lot easier to do, but that also just about mindset. Edited to add big bucks a different animal to the rest of the fallow population. 

Edited by SheepChaser
16 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

? half way between a horse and cow ? your great south ? a facking shetland be 4 x the weight of a fallow ? bounce them off ? big open land there’s nothing to bounce em off 

Yer to be fair mchull right on this one - big fallow would be 80-100 kilo and a miniature Shetland pony would be about 120kg. We kill out fat cattle over about 700kg. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Sorry I don't quite get you? Plenty of dogs catch fallow on the run in the open mate. And yes I agree with you that taking big deer requires level of skill from a dog, but I think it also does take bottle, to hit into something much bigger than you and ruck with it once its down. I would argue that fora lot of dogs, a fox is a lot easier to do, but that also just about mindset.

Catching them doesn't mean it'll hit the ground mate, not with fallow and/or red imo. Seen plenty grabbed and kicked off or shook off. 

I'd never thought about it like that, the size thing. Just as I said, seen dogs that won't grab a fox for fear of being bit pull fallow 

2 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Yer to be fair mchull right on this one - big fallow would be 80-100 kilo and a miniature Shetland pony would be about 120kg. We kill out fat cattle over about 700kg. 

As I said to shaark, I meant shape/ running style. I know they're not the same size ? f**k me seen em almost daily all my life 

Just now, South hams hunter said:

Catching them doesn't mean it'll hit the ground mate, not with fallow and/or red imo. Seen plenty grabbed and kicked off or shook off. 

I'd never thought about it like that, the size thing. Just as I said, seen dogs that won't grab a fox for fear of being bit pull fallow 

When I say catch I meant on the deck. And aye I’ve seen dogs kicked off, stamped on, thrown into trees, spiked and end up dead. 

Seen plenty dogs running them waiting for a mistake not wanting to commit when at full run.