D Brian Plummer

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well,22 pages on a man that no-one seems to have a good word for other than enjoying his early books,I met Plummer on many occassions at a mates farm and he was always odd,to say the least,he suffered

His books were the only ones of their kind in the seventies and eighties, and I must have owned and read them all. They were entertaining and to an impressionable teenager the 'facts' were often dige

John h.....who the feck are you?? There's a good number of men on hear that hunt....take a long hard look through all the sections on the site....there's some great advice and tips all the way through

Posted Images

I look at the name Plummer with nosalgia now. His books were prized by us kids in the late 70's and early 80's. They were great reading, though we soon cottoned on to the fact that his hunting bore no resemblance to what we were up to..!

Even back then, mention of his name would stir up fury in some blokes I knew. Jimmy Keeling was one, who always said that Rogues was his book and he sent it to Plummer to proof read.

Another old boy I worked with, the most mild mannered bloke you could meet, who ran lurchers with John Nuttall of Clithero, would go into rage when Plummer's name was mentioned, calling him a liar, amongst other things...

Then when I met Bill Brightmoor and (foolishly) asking why he wasn't in Fell Terrier, he flew into a rage and grabbed a hand gun off the side board and said the man was a phoney and he chased Plummer down the road with that..!

I also seen Plummer at a book signing (possibly Chatsworth) in the 80's. Went up and said hello, only to be given a look that could kill and he turned away to talk to some bloke in tweed.

As for his dog Woolly Bear, it was put to a big hard lurcher bitch and sired a dog called Sonny, which resided in the north of Liverpool. Sonny was a great fox dog and was put to an import Saluki, from which I had a cracking dog called Jake.

2015-11-24 21.19.42.jpg

3 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Did you move it ? Me and the misses used to take in rescues and had 18 ft reticulated python come in full of burns so we treated her with manuka honey aloe Vera for burns and she was skinny so built her back up on rabbits and chickens  ,pheasants .she never struck at us  even though she was in pain and hungry unlike rat snakes and amazon boa,s I've kept that bite for fun ? anyway she made full recovery and then went down Kent to a reptile house at a animal park .

Snake in pic looks like it's getting ready to shed its skin 

What area of the states you in bud 

How did she get burnt mate? Heat lamp? I am in ontario, the snake in the pics was when I was in Mindanao in the Philippines. 

17 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

I look at the name Plummer with nosalgia now. His books were prized by us kids in the late 70's and early 80's. They were great reading, though we soon cottoned on to the fact that his hunting bore no resemblance to what we were up to..!

Even back then, mention of his name would stir up fury in some blokes I knew. Jimmy Keeling was one, who always said that Rogues was his book and he sent it to Plummer to proof read.

Another old boy I worked with, the most mild mannered bloke you could meet, who ran lurchers with John Nuttall of Clithero, would go into rage when Plummer's name was mentioned, calling him a liar, amongst other things...

Then when I met Bill Brightmoor and (foolishly) asking why he wasn't in Fell Terrier, he flew into a rage and grabbed a hand gun off the side board and said the man was a phoney and he chased Plummer down the road with that..!

I also seen Plummer at a book signing (possibly Chatsworth) in the 80's. Went up and said hello, only to be given a look that could kill and he turned away to talk to some bloke in tweed.

As for his dog Woolly Bear, it was put to a big hard lurcher bitch and sired a dog called Sonny, which resided in the north of Liverpool. Sonny was a great fox dog and was put to an import Saluki, from which I had a cracking dog called Jake.

2015-11-24 21.19.42.jpg

Probably not Chatsworth mate, welbeck??

4 hours ago, mackem said:

How did she get burnt mate? Heat lamp? I am in ontario, the snake in the pics was when I was in Mindanao in the Philippines. 

Yes she was in a terrible state and she'd been wrapping herself round a ceramic heat lamp with just bit of chicken wire round it for a guard ,took few months to heal but she came right in the end .

• Like 1

Like a lot of people on this thread, my introduction to lurchers came from reading his books in combination with Walsh and the old Lurcher: the journal of running dogs.

Everybody I spoke to criticised him but it wasn't until I regularly bought the Shooting News/Countryman's Weekly and read the obvious lies in there that I realized that people were right.

Two of my "favourites" were when he announced he was going to breed a strain of merle beardie collie, then announced about a year later that he'd discovered a strain of merle beardie collie in some remote backwater. Another was when I met a chap at a show in Kent with a merle deerhound cross. He said Plummer had told him it was a pure deerhound and that he'd (once again) magically discovered a hidden strain of merle deerhounds.? 

• Haha 6
1 hour ago, Neal said:

Like a lot of people on this thread, my introduction to lurchers came from reading his books in combination with Walsh and the old Lurcher: the journal of running dogs.

Everybody I spoke to criticised him but it wasn't until I regularly bought the Shooting News/Countryman's Weekly and read the obvious lies in there that I realized that people were right.

Two of my "favourites" were when he announced he was going to breed a strain of merle beardie collie, then announced about a year later that he'd discovered a strain of merle beardie collie in some remote backwater. Another was when I met a chap at a show in Kent with a merle deerhound cross. He said Plummer had told him it was a pure deerhound and that he'd (once again) magically discovered a hidden strain of merle deerhounds.? 

I've herd lots of stuff said about Plummer over the years but saying that I've also herd tales about lot of people but it don't mean it's all true just like what he wrote  

7 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

2015-11-24 21.19.42.jpg

Plummer used to upset a lot of people and he had his life threatened on more than one occasion.                                                                    He used to promise people the earth and give nothing.                          He was a liar beyond belief and truly new how to pull the wool over the eyes of the gullible and would lie about anything that came into his head.

But he had a gift in his writing.

Edited by levigsp
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, New moon said:

Probably not Chatsworth mate, welbeck??

I'd be surprised if any lurcher events were ever held on Welbeck estate...

Only met Plummer the once at Bramham hunt show. He stunk like a f@@king polecat... but bizarrely he was accompanied by a nice bit of flange i do remember.

Interesting stuff that Bosun and a nice animal you had there...?

19 minutes ago, Bush Rummager said:

Only met Plummer the once at Bramham hunt show. He stunk like a f@@king polecat... but bizarrely he was accompanied by a nice bit of flange i do remember.

can remember game fair being at welbeck. wouldn't have thought there would have been lurcher events though. talking around 1980 ish. 

42 minutes ago, Bush Rummager said:

The game fair was at welbeck, I remember cos I was there 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bush Rummager said:

Flange ffs ??????

• Like 1
  • Haha 2