D Brian Plummer

1 hour ago, Bush Rummager said:

I'd be surprised if any lurcher events were ever held on Welbeck estate...

Only met Plummer the once at Bramham hunt show. He stunk like a f@@king polecat... but bizarrely he was accompanied by a nice bit of flange i do remember.

Interesting stuff that Bosun and a nice animal you had there...?

Maybe the wind was blowing from behind us, as I couldn't smell him And not too sure of the GF  it was big and the 80's so could of been a couple I attended but deffo not northern (Lowther GT Yorks or any of the Cheshire)

To be fare, that Jake Lurcher was a cracker, I killed some gear with it over the years, all over the country. My mates gave it the knickname 'Shotgun' for it's ability to catch and it ran the spectrum. Funnily enough, though fully jabbed, it died of lepto from a rat bite it took walking loose after a night's lamping... Damn shame, he was an honest dog.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well,22 pages on a man that no-one seems to have a good word for other than enjoying his early books,I met Plummer on many occassions at a mates farm and he was always odd,to say the least,he suffered

His books were the only ones of their kind in the seventies and eighties, and I must have owned and read them all. They were entertaining and to an impressionable teenager the 'facts' were often dige

John h.....who the feck are you?? There's a good number of men on hear that hunt....take a long hard look through all the sections on the site....there's some great advice and tips all the way through

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Bush Rummager said:

I'd be surprised if any lurcher events were ever held on Welbeck estate...

Only met Plummer the once at Bramham hunt show. He stunk like a f@@king polecat... but bizarrely he was accompanied by a nice bit of flange i do remember.

Interesting stuff that Bosun and a nice animal you had there...?

Was at the bramham also, that must be over 20yrs ago?

14 hours ago, Neal said:

Like a lot of people on this thread, my introduction to lurchers came from reading his books in combination with Walsh and the old Lurcher: the journal of running dogs.

Everybody I spoke to criticised him but it wasn't until I regularly bought the Shooting News/Countryman's Weekly and read the obvious lies in there that I realized that people were right.

Two of my "favourites" were when he announced he was going to breed a strain of merle beardie collie, then announced about a year later that he'd discovered a strain of merle beardie collie in some remote backwater. Another was when I met a chap at a show in Kent with a merle deerhound cross. He said Plummer had told him it was a pure deerhound and that he'd (once again) magically discovered a hidden strain of merle deerhounds.? 

Hes was a man of the world very chancey 

12 hours ago, levigsp said:

Plummer used to upset a lot of people and he had his life threatened on more than one occasion.                                                                    He used to promise people the earth and give nothing.                          He was a liar beyond belief and truly new how to pull the wool over the eyes of the gullible and would lie about anything that came into his head.

But he had a gift in his writing.

Well when I was a young lad he showed me how to milk a cow blind folded so hold your tongue young man he never lied to me 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
21 hours ago, New moon said:

Was at the bramham also, that must be over 20yrs ago?

Yes, pretty sure i was about 20 years old then.. not been driving all that long and had just got my second car. I'm good a remembering useless things like that!! lol.. 45 now, so I'd say 25 years ago would be about right!?

1 minute ago, Bush Rummager said:

Yes, pretty sure i was about 20 years old then.. not been driving all that long and had just got my second car. I'm good a remembering useless things like that!! lol.. 45 now, so I'd say 25 years ago would be about right!?

Time flys, enjoyed the show that day ?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Bush Rummager said:

I remember times of stuff by recalling what motor we were in ? 

Cheers, D.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, dytkos said:

I remember times of stuff by recalling what motor we were in ? 

Cheers, D.

Me too. I used to have Morris 1000 estate early 1970s.  Had a hole in the floor and a knackered battery I had to hand crank it to start. Were they happy days? Were they f**k. I wanted a half decent motor.?

• Haha 2