• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would be working till I drop but have decided to knock it all on the head and start enjoying myself, going to get my motor home this winter and spend a few months travelling round England un

What’s money mate ?  You have the respect and love of your child , who will grow up with a father who has sacrificed everything for them .    fair play to you DS , proper man 

“Defined by my work”….that’s a brilliant and very overlooked observation there mate. I didn’t realise how much a part of my personality my way of earning a living was…….I feel like almost a compl

Posted Images

I envy you mate and I don't blame you one bit If I was in the same position i would do the same i find it baffling those who when they get there pension or ina good position financially carry on the same job they have been doing most of their lives. Good luck and all the best. 

Great stuff Paul, I know you won't be putting your feet up too much of an active mind!

Hope its a very long and happy one mate...

• Like 1

Good luck iv been thinking the same just need to do the maths I’ve got 5 years before retirement age I don’t think I can do this shite for much longer 

• Like 4

I’m hoping to retire in the next few months 60 in May I’ve had enough you can sit there doing the maths worrying if you have enough money but the amount of blokes I’ve seen die in service you gotta bite the bullet and go for it, all the best @Greyman you are making the right decision. 

• Like 7

I tried to retire a couple of years ago but ended up working again having been brought up with a strong work ethic I  found myself riddled with some sort of working class guilt for not working. I didn't realise how much I was defined by my work. Roll forward 2 years and I now feel more ready/buggered . Good luck enjoy it. We've only got one shot.

• Like 9

I said to the Mr's this morning on the way out the door to work , I've had enough of this chit, all the best G'man I'm slightly envious lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Thought I would be working till I drop but have decided to knock it all on the head and start enjoying myself, going to get my motor home this winter and spend a few months travelling round England until the old dogs are gone then winters in the sun have a few months left to tidy up some loose ends and then I,m out, happy days life’s to busy for working have so much I still want to do and realise that time is running down 

get it done mate i find it mental how people are conditioned to slave away until there old and f****d to then have some freedom lol instead of enjoying there best years 

• Like 6

70 on March 3rd. Had some cabins for the family up in Ashbourne. What a weekend we had. Wifey just booked a nice little holiday end of April on Cape Verdi. She’s just done a deal with the bosses for 2 day week for the next 2 years in an administration capacity. All in all happy days. When you’ve run the race it’s time to give up. Jok.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, kanny said:

I said to the Mr's this morning on the way out the door to work , I've had enough of this chit, all the best G'man I'm slightly envious lol

Yep iv said same for years to many years 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, steve t said:

I tried to retire a couple of years ago but ended up working again having been brought up with a strong work ethic I  found myself riddled with some sort of working class guilt for not working. I didn't realise how much I was defined by my work. Roll forward 2 years and I now feel more ready/buggered . Good luck enjoy it. We've only got one shot.

I know exactly what you mean mate, "working class guilt" is a great way to describe it... I'm not ready for retirement, but even booking holidays, having a day off etc and I get that weird guilt feeling.. self employed all my life, no boss, no one to answer to but still feel like it! lol 

• Like 5

When retirement comes I’ll probably drop my hours down to 2 or 3 days , that’ll suit me to stay active 

Good luck GM I’m sure you’ll enjoy your time 

Well done mate, pencilled in 62 for me so just over 5 years of slog left if I'm still capable.

Saving like mad now as all the years I've put into pensions haven't seen the return you would expect even though they've been consolidated and screw going until 67. 

• Like 1