• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would be working till I drop but have decided to knock it all on the head and start enjoying myself, going to get my motor home this winter and spend a few months travelling round England un

What’s money mate ?  You have the respect and love of your child , who will grow up with a father who has sacrificed everything for them .    fair play to you DS , proper man 

“Defined by my work”….that’s a brilliant and very overlooked observation there mate. I didn’t realise how much a part of my personality my way of earning a living was…….I feel like almost a compl

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Reg Vardy said:

Well in Big G, now can you find us a big cat FFS.

There should be some more good news out soon so not long to wait 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, steve t said:

I tried to retire a couple of years ago but ended up working again having been brought up with a strong work ethic I  found myself riddled with some sort of working class guilt for not working. I didn't realise how much I was defined by my work. Roll forward 2 years and I now feel more ready/buggered . Good luck enjoy it. We've only got one shot.

“Defined by my work”….that’s a brilliant and very overlooked observation there mate.

I didn’t realise how much a part of my personality my way of earning a living was…….I feel like almost a completely different person and in some ways I miss “that bloke” now and again.

However, things are always better in the memory than in reality and what I don’t miss is how the world of business is full of pricks now instead of proper chaps, I don’t miss traffic wardens and £2k a year in parking tickets and fixed penalty’s and VOSA, I don’t miss the government helping themselves to my hard work, I don’t miss trying to work in an industry where everyone is trying to compete on price rather than value and racing to the bottom.

I don’t miss congestion charge.

What I miss is proper chaps having a deal with each other, standing on when they open their mouth, dealing in readies and everyone wanting everyone else to get a living because that’s good for business and makes it worth getting up in the morning.

We live in an age of form filling by the book nerds and I don’t miss any of those c**ts. 

• Like 12
5 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I retired 20 years ago, aged 51.

I think the secret to retirement is to keep busy with something you enjoy.

Ive got the dogs, two allotments with hens, ducks, quail and a few game fowl, I like to grow veggies, it’s almost a full time job, but I enjoy it.

I just thought one day “ kids are gone, house is paid for, bit money in the bank, keep my travel benefits with the airline, why work until I’m too old to enjoy my retirement ?”

I wanted to retire at 50, but was asked to stay on for a year, which in retrospect was a good thing, it gave me time to be sure I was doing the right thing.

Enjoy your retirement, mate !

Cheers.

same charts ( 50) , but with me it was lower back injury , done 26 years at the local brewery  marstons  , but got good pay off from both union / company , was lucky back then  classed as staff after 25 years  so got good deal, plus my wife then, had very good paid job manager in adult education , feck knows why  she picked thick fecker like me for lol. but it took 18 months really for my lower back to settle down. not to bad now, but do have sciatica  now 24/7 in my left hip/ buttock , i just live with it day to day.

• Like 2

This thread gets me thinking about some one I work with who is 70 next who is for ever moaning about the tax he pays because he has decided to carry on working in the boring mundane job we do. His house is paid off and his wife gets the state pension aswell his only hobby is going to watch one of the Sheffield football clubs play when they are at home. He is the most boring individual I have ever come across in the workplace one of his excuses for carrying on working is he gets bored at home. I think to myself thank feck I have not got the same mindset as this individual as I am counting down the days till I get my state pension and feck work off just hope I am still in good health. 

• Like 4

Cant see it ever happening for me.Split up from my ex about 7years ago after nearly 20years together.Walked away and left her with everything.Pretty hardgetting started again from scratch when youre in your mid/late 40s

• Sad 3
6 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Cant see it ever happening for me.Split up from my ex about 7years ago after nearly 20years together.Walked away and left her with everything.Pretty hardgetting started again from scratch when youre in your mid/late 40s

If I never had a misses and kids I would have done it years ago just buy a horse box and live on the road, misses and kids are the only reason I carried on, but I have amassed enough to sort them all out if I died tomorrow so basically my job is now done so time for some me time hoping to shut up shop end of April early may 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, WILF said:

“Defined by my work”….that’s a brilliant and very overlooked observation there mate.

I didn’t realise how much a part of my personality my way of earning a living was…….I feel like almost a completely different person and in some ways I miss “that bloke” now and again.

However, things are always better in the memory than in reality and what I don’t miss is how the world of business is full of pricks now instead of proper chaps, I don’t miss traffic wardens and £2k a year in parking tickets and fixed penalty’s and VOSA, I don’t miss the government helping themselves to my hard work, I don’t miss trying to work in an industry where everyone is trying to compete on price rather than value and racing to the bottom.

I don’t miss congestion charge.

What I miss is proper chaps having a deal with each other, standing on when they open their mouth, dealing in readies and everyone wanting everyone else to get a living because that’s good for business and makes it worth getting up in the morning.

We live in an age of form filling by the book nerds and I don’t miss any of those c**ts. 

I always liken it to the Only Fools & Horses episode where they finally cop a fortune and the next day Dels on the blower trying to do a deal for some toasters or something 😂

When you've chased money a long time and you finally get it the anti climax can often take you by surprise.

Ive had a pretty unconventional life and never really had a " job " type job to actually retire from in the first place but when i did eventually find myself in a position where i had more than i needed i went through that same anti climax of " what do i chase now then ".......but i think you end up chasing different goals and life takes on a different kind of riches.

Good luck to you Greyman if money can allow you and those around you the freedom of time then relax and enjoy it the pressure is off.....i love to see folk do well so good for you mate and all the best.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, downsouth said:

thats impressive  that mate to walk away like that, and start again , your mid mid 40s you still be strong fit, if no kids bit more easy for you . maybe if you make enough dosh in your 60s pack up then, just thought mate . 

5 hours ago, Greyman said:

If I never had a misses and kids I would have done it years ago just buy a horse box and live on the road, misses and kids are the only reason I carried on, but I have amassed enough to sort them all out if I died tomorrow so basically my job is now done so time for some me time hoping to shut up shop end of April early may 

Do you think you'll be devoting  a bit more time to the big cat projects you're involved with, G?

41 minutes ago, bird said:

thats impressive  that mate to walk away like that, and start again , your mid mid 40s you still be strong fit, if no kids bit more easy for you . maybe if you make enough dosh in your 60s pack up then, just thought mate . 

Im 50 next year mate and far from fit after doing groundwork/civils/building since I was 15.And I have got a kid mate.Ive been bringing up my 12year old daughter on my own for 6 years as well as working full time on site.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2