Trainability

Most trainable lurcher/cross  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most trainable/biddable lurcher cross out of the options below

• lurcher to lurcher
    • whippet x greyhound
    • (collie, kelpie, cattle dog) x greyhound
    • bull x greyhound
    • saluki x greyhound
    • purebreeds

I have a question for the experienced people on here.

How would you rate the trainability of the various lurcher crosses? Things like (rock solid) recall, sit, stay, lie down...
My theory would be that lurchers with some type of pastoral breed in them would be rate pretty high in this regard.

Besides your opinions lets also make a poll out of it.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same as most veteran lurcher enthusiasts,..I've enjoyed walking out with many different running dog hybrids? Loved them all and had success,.. and of course,..failures with them all..? AS fo

Some time back I watched a lads lurcher bitch jump over a sheep fence chasing a rabbit, the rabbit came back through and the bitch jumped back over this went on over a distance up the fence she did na

Tried calling my whippet of one or two risky chases, heart in my mouth sometimes, and eyes closed but she survived , only to succumb to cushings , cracking worker lived for work and so i put work in f

Posted Images

if you generalising then you are right ....herding dog crosses are generally easy to train....

but a good standard can be achieved with all the others....dependant on the individual dog ...and the owner 

• Like 5

i had a coursing bred bitch ...sal/grey ....retrieve as good as a field trial lab.....jump gates ect walk at heel ...lamp without a slip lead....whilst another dog was running and stay at heel 

• Like 3

I remember them days, when I had a dog/s that was/were biddable. I'd take the staffy and Trev out and the same, no lead.

I've seen my staff sit there grunting waiting for me to give the go, whilst trev was having a look. 

At least this nobhead will sit ?

32 minutes ago, TOMO said:

if you generalising then you are right ....herding dog crosses are generally easy to train....

but a good standard can be achieved with all the others....dependant on the individual dog ...and the owner 

true tomo , suppose as well it what comes to the brain box 1st , if you got few breeds in it. i told few times before when  we were out mooching with max, ive had pit x greys  quite biddable dogs  not bad to train. your right herding cxs very easy to train  but fookin  pain at times  with that collie brain, but i have found the gsd x simlar temp but stronger prey drive. a lurcher x lurcher from good proven parents will have plenty of brain to train and work

• Like 1

some can call a dog off when it's on its quarry. I can't and I would be disappointed if I could. there are far better people than me with mutts but it would always be in my mind if it was fully committed? 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bird said:

true tomo , suppose as well it what comes to the brain box 1st , if you got few breeds in it. i told few times before when  we were out mooching with max, ive had pit x greys  quite biddable dogs  not bad to train. your right herding cxs very easy to train  but fookin  pain at times  with that collie brain, but i have found the gsd x simlar temp but stronger prey drive. a lurcher x lurcher from good proven parents will have plenty of brain to train and work

That’s the discussion I was looking for!

9 minutes ago, fred90 said:

some can call a dog off when it's on its quarry. I can't and I would be disappointed if I could. there are far better people than me with mutts but it would always be in my mind if it was fully committed? 

That’s an interesting opinion. I strive for my dog to be able to called off of anything (not that I 100% succeed ?). Just for safety reasons. There is just not enough free space around here. Traffic everywhere and so on.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I've found pure whippets do what you want them to do and are looking to please but I don't really train dogs, I let them do their thing.

Yeah, that's my excuse too ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2