Trainability

Most trainable lurcher/cross  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most trainable/biddable lurcher cross out of the options below

• lurcher to lurcher
    • whippet x greyhound
    • (collie, kelpie, cattle dog) x greyhound
    • bull x greyhound
    • saluki x greyhound
    • purebreeds

14 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Some time back I watched a lads lurcher bitch jump over a sheep fence chasing a rabbit, the rabbit came back through and the bitch jumped back over this went on over a distance up the fence she did nail it in the end but it was absolutely fekin brilliant to see... imo a dog that don’t jump is very limited in where you can run it and the amount of gear it takes.

Great to watch ?? 

• Like 1

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same as most veteran lurcher enthusiasts,..I've enjoyed walking out with many different running dog hybrids? Loved them all and had success,.. and of course,..failures with them all..? AS fo

Some time back I watched a lads lurcher bitch jump over a sheep fence chasing a rabbit, the rabbit came back through and the bitch jumped back over this went on over a distance up the fence she did na

Tried calling my whippet of one or two risky chases, heart in my mouth sometimes, and eyes closed but she survived , only to succumb to cushings , cracking worker lived for work and so i put work in f

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, poxon said:

I know a few dogs that are catching deer regularly that haven’t been taught to jump that have some good body counts ?my old collie x bitch wasn’t taught to jump an she did very well on roe deer she was self taught to jump but never really needed it 

?? I don’t think otherwise mate but look at it this way a bambi 200 300 yds further  now a dog gets slipped the bambi isn’t looking for ground to hide it’s going to motor on over any obstacle normally dog has no reason really unless a big wood not to get on terms ?? 
but lamping them you can still get good numbers without a jumper mate just think it’s in the dog why not use it mate ?? 

1 hour ago, fred90 said:

I all I have ever done is recall and stock breaking. everything else comes naturally. 

Go we’re there’s things to jump soon be doing it mate same with dykes etc younger the better I think ?? 

Edited by mC HULL

Like everything else it depends on loads of factors, your quarry, your terrain, kind of hunting you mostly do, how busy or warm the area is etc. I used to let them hunt whatever whenever as long as it wasn't stock but now I'm a lot more careful. I like to be able to call a dog off if I choose, roads public etc make it a handy skill. That might be lack of commitment to some but it suits me. A fully committed dog would, and did, get itself and me in the shit pretty fast locally. I also like a dog to jump if it has to, as much for negotiating fences as during a run. I have a bitch now who's steady enough to sit under a high if I'm deer stalking but will still catch and hold one if it were wounded and I asked her to. She is no cover smashing kamikaze and lots of folk wouldn't get on with her but she suits me. 

Horses for courses, hounds for grounds.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

Found certain crosses worse than others for that and bullxs especially. Known a few start grabbing sheep after stuff and never been able to be stopped after

Id put that down more to lack of decent training/stockbreaking by a lot of bull cross owners

• Like 2
21 hours ago, dogmad riley said:

Bull x nice and easy to train to a good level, never had a problem with recall, sit stay walk to heal etc. 

Always good with other dogs etc, 

Bull breeds are quite clever dogs but certain types such as ebt can be very stubborn when it suits them , I had a staff bull that was very biddable and a real joy to keep so id have thought a bull lurcher make a good dog in right hands and thats the thing most dogs can be trained to good level if time put into them and corners not cut ? 

1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

I know collie crosses you couldn’t call off an you deffo could call off my kelpie x if she thinks It’s fair game, too much generalisation goin on, fact is you’ll get switched on pups in most litters of pups from most types of dog?

Not generalisation mate a collie herder type chases sheep it’s bred into them to stop can turn prey drive off see them wanting to but don’t lol think that’s a trait bred into them only ones I’ve seen can call off have had herder in them ?? My dogs walk to heel stay retrieve but if see something may aswell be deaf lol

9 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

But what about the rest of the dogs breeding that ain’t bred to stop is it? An a terrier is bred to bark but they don’t, not all base bred traits come through on lurchers pal, out it this way k got a halfx here, half kelpie so should be stoppable by your thinking, come stop her from running a rabbit if you can ? I know a fair few collie crosses just as driven as any type, an deffo As much or more than your coursing types ?

If traits came through on all halfxs you'd getting barking from terriers, herding collies that lay and stalk, bullxs fighting other dogs, shepherd man biters and well saluki crosses would just plod behind stuff and don't come back.... Hang on, maybe he's got a point

• Haha 2
17 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

But what about the rest of the dogs breeding that ain’t bred to stop is it? An a terrier is bred to bark but they don’t, not all base bred traits come through on lurchers pal, out it this way k got a halfx here, half kelpie so should be stoppable by your thinking, come stop her from running a rabbit if you can ? I know a fair few collie crosses just as driven as any type, an deffo As much or more than your coursing types ?

I’m just saying what I seen think ?? any that stay on command while games there I seen been herding types 

you don’t know any herding types close to been as driven as my coursing types ? 

be anchors on lol 

7 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

If traits came through on all halfxs you'd getting barking from terriers, herding collies that lay and stalk, bullxs fighting other dogs, shepherd man biters and well saluki crosses would just plod behind stuff and don't come back.... Hang on, maybe he's got a point

A few terrier crosses I seen do yip and bark lol

collies do lay stalk never seen one on a squatter  lol bullx best for teeth aren’t they finishing lol 

And saluki crosses Well plod lol

It's got little to do with the dog imo and everything to do with the trainer/owner.

The bull bloods i once owned suited my (limited) training ability and they hardly put a foot wrong. I was proud of what mine could do, from a training point of view.

Even better was the Lurcher x Lurcher dog i had from Joe, he was so easy to train to a decent standard it was effortless. The same with others i've owned too.

Pastoral bloods i've owned, i done well with but i always knew 'i' was limited not them, in what i wanted them for and how far i could (be bothered) take them. I admire those who take these to outstanding levels.

And then the coursing bloods... The ones 35 years ago were ok'ish and we found mutual ground, which was mostley 'aim and slip' but this 'thing' i've got right now is a fecking enigma, i just can't find common ground. I know she has so much potential but i just can't tap into it and at 12 months old the flustration is really getting to me...! I know there are lads who just gel with this blood and can get them to do just about anything but for me, Jesus H Christ it's fecking tough...?

3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

A few terrier crosses I seen do yip and bark lol

collies do lay stalk never seen one on a squatter  lol bullx best for teeth aren’t they finishing lol 

And saluki crosses Well plod lol

A few yeah not all of em yip. Normally beddyxs which are a silent terrier... Go figure. 

Difference between teeth and fighting other dogs mC and I've never seen a collie stalk like a collie on its belly 

7 hours ago, poxon said:

In this game something I’ve found with hunting dogs/Lurchers you always get the people saying a Lurcher needs this training that training the other to be a good hunting catch dog I was blasted once for saying I didn’t stock break or teach my dog to jump 5 bar gates I don’t train stuff I don’t need it’s a waist of my time I train recall then retrieve after once recall is mastered I don’t go out my way purposely training much else. Training a dog skills for ferreting like Purdys progress got a man no were further than a dog that’s learned it’s skills on the job for the job it’s the same with lamping you can teach all these commands that mean nothing when working in silence an darkness a clever steady dog soon learns the lamp crack lamp off back to owner tbh I don’t think it takes a skill full dog owner to train a ferret dog or a lamp dog to work same with a mooching dog there’s not a lot of skill of training from the owner that can make a dog that’s naturally skilled as a hunting catch dog any better. If there was any training it don’t involve the dog it’s training your self to get a dog in position that it stands a chance of a catch. 

You don’t stock break ?

• Like 1