Liverpool

9 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

How does that work then Wilf ?.....for what sort of things is it,and do refs actually apply it ?

Thats interesting i didnt know that.

Well, I got told it by a ref in one of the last games I coached in England mate and he explained it like this:

If the parents or coaches or both are shouting and screaming and it’s too much you can just walk up to the ref and say “that’s enough, I’m talking my team away”

Fantastic rule in my opinion mate.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Easy starting a topic about your club when they’re sitting top. Takes a real man to keep a thread going to over eighty pages for the 52nd best club in the country. Ahhh, now that’s Bisto ?

Klopp out ..     Been saying it for weeks now  Henderson and Milne .let's gone   Salah over the hill   Firmino teeth too white    Mane what the fuks going

I think plenty of chaps of my/our generation will be quite pleased that the big team when we was all young are back on top......i always said id love to of been a Liverpool fan but you cant just choos

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, WILF said:

Coaching youngsters teaches you a lot about yourself and it also forces you to use your canister.

Accepting that your boy isn’t the same as you mentality wise in some areas makes you a better person imho.....it has me I think.

I suppose it’s logic really, if you were the focused no quarter given headcase sporting wise and you know everyone used to look at you like “f***ing hell what’s with this bloke” then the odds of your kids being the same are minimal because only very few people are like that in reality.

And you have to realise that there’s loads of different ways to be “good” .......it’s not just your way.

Being a parent or a coach or anyone that works with young people should teach you that and it will if you have an open, thinking type of personality.

So true that is......it didnt even enter my mind that my lad wouldnt have the same appetite for competition that i had....i just didnt get it......another life lesson.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Lovely to hear good for you.

I remember one game when my lad was about 10 or 11 for whatever reason the referee hadnt turned up  so i volunteered to do it.......that was probably the last time i ever gave referees abuse even on the telly ?....bollocks to that !

The standard of under age refs in England is generally very good mate, they explain to the kids why they have stopped the game, give them pointers and at very young age will let them try again on things like foul throws etc......there no reason to be hollering and hooting when refs are like that.

Over here, the standard of refereeing is appalling from top to bottom.

Its just makes it bad all round.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, tandors said:

What sort of age group are you coaching wilf? I've taken on my lads u9s team, loving it so far.

I have coached at every age group from U6  through to U12 mate.

There’s some great resources out there that can really help you.

If you are a Facebook user then there is a page called “The coaches Voice”, they also have a web site.....it’s really worth looking at and studying.

Almost everything will translate across the age groups.

Also, look at good coaches from other sports and see how they operate......one of my big inspirations was a mate of mine who has a big Ju Jitsu club of around 600 members, he is one of the best I have ever seen working with kids and adults alike.

Grassroots football is also another good one 

I dont know if you have coached before but if I could give you some advice it would be to put results out of your mind, teach kids to play football properly and the results will come on their own.

Never forget, pass, pass, pass.....the more touches everyone gets the better the whole group becomes.

A little trick I did in practice games is that I got a couple of those click counters and made the game not just about goals.

The teams with the most passes & goals won.

So every time say the blue team completed a pass, that was one click on the blue team counter and a goal was one click and the same for the opposing team.......it really makes them think about passing and moving the ball.

The scores end up like 120 - 135 or something but after a couple of games they get it.

Good luck mate, and good for you......you will have moments of doubt but don’t forget you are the bloke that stepped up to do it.

Let us know how you are going as you go along 

I've watched my mrs nephew start at spurs ,done well under 18s ,then loaned out ,done a season in Scotland at rangers ,when they won the league and Scottish cup ,then back to rotherham, a not bad season at Aberdeen, is now at QPR ,hes 24 so guess hes not going to make it big time ,but has made a living out of doing what he loves,a proper nice bloke as well ,gives me a 2nd club to follow as well just to see how hes getting on .

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, waltjnr said:

I've watched my mrs nephew start at spurs ,done well under 18s ,then loaned out ,done a season in Scotland at rangers ,when they won the league and Scottish cup ,then back to rotherham, a not bad season at Aberdeen, is now at QPR ,hes 24 so guess hes not going to make it big time ,but has made a living out of doing what he loves,a proper nice bloke as well ,gives me a 2nd club to follow as well just to see how hes getting on .

I’d say all of those clubs are the big time from a players point of view mate......he is one of a very small number that ever gets to that level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, WILF said:

I have coached at every age group from U6  through to U12 mate.

There’s some great resources out there that can really help you.

If you are a Facebook user then there is a page called “The coaches Voice”, they also have a web site.....it’s really worth looking at and studying.

Almost everything will translate across the age groups.

Also, look at good coaches from other sports and see how they operate......one of my big inspirations was a mate of mine who has a big Ju Jitsu club of around 600 members, he is one of the best I have ever seen working with kids and adults alike.

Grassroots football is also another good one 

I dont know if you have coached before but if I could give you some advice it would be to put results out of your mind, teach kids to play football properly and the results will come on their own.

Never forget, pass, pass, pass.....the more touches everyone gets the better the whole group becomes.

A little trick I did in practice games is that I got a couple of those click counters and made the game not just about goals.

The teams with the most passes & goals won.

So every time say the blue team completed a pass, that was one click on the blue team counter and a goal was one click and the same for the opposing team.......it really makes them think about passing and moving the ball.

The scores end up like 120 - 135 or something but after a couple of games they get it.

Good luck mate, and good for you......you will have moments of doubt but don’t forget you are the bloke that stepped up to do it.

Let us know how you are going as you go along 

Cheers wilf, from what I've read of your posts I think we are on the same sort of page coaching wise. I've not really done much coaching practically but have got a degree in sports coaching and performance and played to a decent standard as a youth up to open age. My sessions are aimed at ball mastery and possession games/rondos, and letting them play and have fun which seems to be working, all the lads enjoy it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, waltjnr said:

If he is paying a good whack into his pension and plays until he is mid thirties or therabouts he should have a huge pension pot. Mate of mine had a son played for Rangers and then English championship. His pension pot was massive. When he went to Rangers as a boy  Duncan Ferguson called him over in the canteen and told him to bring him a drink from the counter. He refused, Ferguson was not happy. His dad was well,pleased with him

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, tandors said:

Cheers wilf, from what I've read of your posts I think we are on the same sort of page coaching wise. I've not really done much coaching practically but have got a degree in sports coaching and performance and played to a decent standard as a youth up to open age. My sessions are aimed at ball mastery and possession games/rondos, and letting them play and have fun which seems to be working, all the lads enjoy it.

Well blimey, you are home and dry mate.....you will know what you are doing better than most.

I think that a lot of English teams like Liverpool ad to some extent England have difficulty playing teams that excel in professional fouls and other snide tactics. Fair play to Liverpool for rising above it without losing a player or their composure.   ?

1 hour ago, Nicepix said:

I think that a lot of English teams like Liverpool ad to some extent England have difficulty playing teams that excel in professional fouls and other snide tactics. Fair play to Liverpool for rising above it without losing a player or their composure.   ?

You really think that gamesmanship isn’t part of the average top flight premier team ? 

I would say ironically, Liverpool are masters of buying fouls. That’s not meant to be a dig mate , Just interested on your thoughts on it pal ! ?

• Like 1