Hi All, 

My Whippet x Greyhound is about 18months old now. She is a great family pet and a natural at catching rabbits and even one muntjac (along with my border terrier). If I had more knowledge id love to use her for rabbits & lamping. 

The only downside to her is that she is very fussy about what she eats... I've tried meat, rice veg and meat/fish, biscuits, chicken skins and she still won't put any weight on. She rarely finishes a meal, and doesn't often eat in the mornings. I don't leave food down all day either.

I'm a not concerned that she is unhealthy and it doesn't bother me too much, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar or has any tips on fattening up a running dog?

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG

I wouldn't be bothered if shes not eating too much,if she was starving she would clean her dish,she looks good to me,have you ever tried her on tripe,

• Like 1

In the top pic she doesn't good try a few small meals a day instead of one big one as her stomach will be small try the border in the next run or close by she may get the feeling of  it being taken of her and eat more when was the last time you wormed her  and what are you feeding her blackneck have a day off 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 1

As long as there is not an underlying health issue I wouldn't worry.It wouldn't hurt to get a blood test to check her organs are functioning ok.She looks ok in the pics,the first pic she looks like she's tucked up because she's cold.

39 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

In the top pic she doesn't good try a few small meals a day instead of one big one as her stomach will be small try the border in the next run or close by she may get the feeling of  it being taken of her and eat more when was the last time you wormed her  and what are you feeding her blackneck have a day off if that looks sound then your a bigger prick than I first thought 

just about to say that ( worm her again ) if ok try  chicken stock over here meal , norm that will get them interested in  there dinner, any kind of gravy really. my 2 loves gravy on there food .

5 hours ago, Blackmag said:

In the top pic she doesn't good try a few small meals a day instead of one big one as her stomach will be small try the border in the next run or close by she may get the feeling of  it being taken of her and eat more when was the last time you wormed her  and what are you feeding her blackneck have a day off if that looks sound then your a bigger prick than I first thought 

Right you are then dont really see the need for personal insults but if that's the way you carry on wi yesen  then I'll leave it with ya 

Dog looks ok to me

The first pic she looks a fair bit under weight.a day standing about ferreting in the freezen weather she will feel it.

Or 1/2 nights lamping she will be burned out exhausted.

Some people think a dog looks good or fit.if the dogs is all ribs.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Blackmag said:

People have different opinions and we won’t all agree as for the personal insults it’s easy over the internet you’ve just joined the ranks of being a Keyboard warrior 💪🏻🤼‍♂️🥊😂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bunnyboiler said:

People have different opinions and we won’t all agree as for the personal insults it’s easy over the internet you’ve just joined the ranks of being a Keyboard warrior 💪🏻🤼‍♂️🥊😂

Far from it bunny and maybe your right I owe the lad a  apology but I don't come on a hunting site to be constantly told about bake beans and dresses either for a few pages 

• Like 1

Fussy eaters are hard work and a pain in the arse. The only thing i can think to suggest is get the dog the best quality of food you can so at least you know what little is being ate is decent grub.

1 hour ago, Blackmag said:

Far from it bunny and maybe your right I owe the lad a  apology but I don't come on a hunting site to be constantly told about bake beans and dresses either for a few pages 

You need some chill mate to be fair there’s not much going on out of season so dresses and beans it is until the action starts atb Bunny 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

give it some tidy wormers,it looks painfully thin..melt some goose fat or lard over its food,fatty lamb breasts and tripe ,chicken skins etc👍

• Like 5

Got a very good coat on her for a grew so just give her more fatty foid as suggested above. Atb