Hi guy,s i,ve been offered a greyhound x whippet now its not a cross i have ever worked and in all fairness never considered i work two spaniels ferreting with purse and long nets on hedge rows talking to a mate and he say,s dont touch it with a barge pole so lad s,anyone worked this cross ferreting and what are the pro.s and  con,s 

2 minutes ago, bobhow said:

Hi guy,s i,ve been offered a greyhound x whippet now its not a cross i have ever worked and in all fairness never considered i work two spaniels ferreting with purse and long nets on hedge rows talking to a mate and he say,s dont touch it with a barge pole so lad s,anyone worked this cross ferreting and what are the pro.s and  con,s 

I'd say don't listen to your mate. Owned a couple, and seen a few more, and all were very good dogs. Some people slate them for having poor feet, but to be honest, I've not seen one with bad feet. They aint going to have a coat like a collie cross, but it doesn't stop em getting into cover when in persuit, and they're as keen, or keener than other types, to run anything.

Maybe a slightly smaller type might be better for just ferreting, but I did alot of lamping years ago with mine, and found them very versatile 👍

• Like 7

Sounds like the ideal thing to go alongside your springers, they go like shit off a stick and if it doesn't retrieve you can send one of the spaniels to get it.

• Like 3

Whippet/greys are very underrated imo .. 

I like them and I’d have another 

• Like 1

The only fault with them is they are to quick everything is 100mph with them,like said be ideal to work the nets with your other dogs.tell ya mate he needs to learn about dogs before saying that kind of crap.👍

• Like 1

If you get to pick, take the runt for that work, usually smaller burst faster, and turn quicker.  happy days

1 hour ago, bobhow said:

must admit quite surprised with the reply,s was expecting a more negative response 

U won't go far wrong wi a grew can get knocked about but can be tough as old boots 2 seen some crackers 1 in particular that was crackers 

Go for it brother 👍

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sirblessed said:

If you get to pick, take the runt for that work, usually smaller burst faster, and turn quicker.  happy days

+1 a mate had one with a touch of bedlington in there as well, she was only 17" and I'll never forget the way she could turn rabbits on the lamp up against stock netting with her agility where the bigger dogs would loose them. Strangely, despite being the runt she lived to a much greater age than the rest of the litter.

3 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

+1 a mate had one with a touch of bedlington in there as well, she was only 17" and I'll never forget the way she could turn rabbits on the lamp up against stock netting with her agility where the bigger dogs would loose them. Strangely, despite being the runt she lived to a much greater age than the rest of the litter.

Yep if you get a good un there sound as a pound this lad I'm on about were nearly 22 inch but he don't know that or care for that matter if he got lobbed in the air or chewed to bits and pieces he was happy as Larry bless him lol

1 hour ago, Sirblessed said:

And remember the smallest pup in the litter isn't necessarily the runt, sometimes it's a perfectly formed little un

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

And remember the smallest pup in the litter isn't necessarily the runt, sometimes it's a perfectly formed little un

Wise words 

I'v got one. She works fine with the ferrets and nets and on the lamp.

She's about 21". she carries every rabbit she gets back to hand.

• Like 1