greyhound whippet

1 minute ago, Neal said:

Some of those names ring a bell, particularly Blue Peter and Bilko so maybe the lines were similar. Thanks for the information Chartpolski. If memory serves me well, Skye's dam was called Sui and her racing name was Mermaid.

Bilko and Blue Peter will be found in the lines of just about every non-ped whippet, and could probably be classed as the main stud dogs in the founding of modern non-ped racing.

Judicious breeding of the best to the best, with the addition of greyhound now and again has produced the incredibly fast little dogs we se today.

Cheers.

• Like 3

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those types are lethal when working the hedgerow warrens, in conjunction with the nets and ferrets... Many of the local rabbiting lads use them... I prefer to hybridize these quicksilver cri

I'd say don't listen to your mate. Owned a couple, and seen a few more, and all were very good dogs. Some people slate them for having poor feet, but to be honest, I've not seen one with bad feet. The

The Whippet/Grey Ace.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

Thanks i know what i want to produce its getting the mix right ? I got till next spring to search anyway yet so in sure the right dog will spring up ? Already av a couple in mind ? Atb

Just use a bull greyhound and be done wi this nonsense 

• Haha 3

Charts.... Always nice to look back on pedigrees like that from days gone by. 

Always liked the non peds but have never owned one myself, is that the way your leaning for your next one mate  ? has i know that you have always spoke fondly of them 

3 minutes ago, breeze said:

Charts.... Always nice to look back on pedigrees like that from days gone by. 

Always liked the non peds but have never owned one myself, is that the way your leaning for your next one mate  ? has i know that you have always spoke fondly of them 

I go to the races now and again, and really enjoy it, it rekindles my passion for them from years ago.

To be honest, I've thought about getting a non-ped, as I could race it and if it didn't make the grade, I could work it. I know a decent size non-ped would do what I want these days; a hare or two, the odd roe, a few bolted rabbits.

I do like them, but I'm not breed blind, that's the problem ! LOL !

I also like Salukis, Beddys, Deerhounds, I've had all sorts of pures and crosses. 

Something will take my eye, and I'll have it, whatever cross it is !

Cheers.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

I go to the races now and again, and really enjoy it, it rekindles my passion for them from years ago.

To be honest, I've thought about getting a non-ped, as I could race it and if it didn't make the grade, I could work it. I know a decent size non-ped would do what I want these days; a hare or two, the odd roe, a few bolted rabbits.

I do like them, but I'm not breed blind, that's the problem ! LOL !

I also like Salukis, Beddys, Deerhounds, I've had all sorts of pures and crosses. 

Something will take my eye, and I'll have it, whatever cross it is !

Cheers.

Im the same just because i prefer a small snap dog these days dosent mean i dont like other types  ? I like all running dogs 

• Like 2

Geoff Fletcher, ( Sowhat), bred some of the the fastest non-ped whippets around. He then crossed them with Beddys and had some success in the lurcher racing.

WhippetxGrey's dog, Paddy, out of Geoffs grew breeding has thrown some great pups when mated to lurchers.

But in the non-ped racers of today, you have to go way, way back to find anything other than whippet and greyhound.

Cheers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Most of the decent grews/nonpeds I saw had a drop of summat else way back in em, then bred out with grew again, can remember a well known member off here years back who was big into the racing breeding a litter of 1/8 collies, the rest being grey an whippet, be a liar to say I remember how the pups fared at there chosen jobs but I can revert there was a lot of expectation on them. Seems to do them the world a good having a lil bit base blood back in them when you want w racing dog for the shows an stuff ?

FFS that's years ago , nice fella he was to I met him at a show once 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Aye i met him few times at shows, real nice guy, think he organised a few didn’t he? His mutts were runners okay, deffo done what he wanted them to

?

9 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

I recall a geoff fletcher from way back but the one im thinking of was a well known show pony ? Not sure if its the same fella ? Had a dog doing the high jump ?

Think me and katchum are talking bout the same fella and his username was Den 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

I recall a geoff fletcher from way back but the one im thinking of was a well known show pony ? Not sure if its the same fella ? Had a dog doing the high jump ?

Geoff was into the coursing and then moved on to the racing whippets. Sadly died last year.

Cheers.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, fred90 said:

what are the non peds like hunting up wise? Will they use nose and work rather than just a sight hound? 

I have only owned 1 but he was as keen and as capable as a terrier regarding using his nose and working cover if needed. He was also clever enough when out with terriers, which was most of the time, to let the little dogs do the hard work and more often than not be in a good position when whatever was being hunted was flushed. A dog that was bred and reared to race took very little work to become a hunting dog.

• Like 4