greyhound whippet

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those types are lethal when working the hedgerow warrens, in conjunction with the nets and ferrets... Many of the local rabbiting lads use them... I prefer to hybridize these quicksilver cri

I'd say don't listen to your mate. Owned a couple, and seen a few more, and all were very good dogs. Some people slate them for having poor feet, but to be honest, I've not seen one with bad feet. The

The Whippet/Grey Ace.  

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

???

What you said to find a genuine one surely there's plenty about i put a 25tts grew over my we 19 beddy whippet got a decent result had the choice of several is the no any whippet racing near you  

2 hours ago, nothernlite said:

What you said to find a genuine one surely there's plenty about i put a 25tts grew over my we 19 beddy whippet got a decent result had the choice of several is the no any whippet racing near you  

Lots have fine built lurchers they say are grews but there not the real f1 mate, no not lucky enough to av raceing in our neck of the woods think the nearest would be south wales i suppose ?

11 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

Lots have fine built lurchers they say are grews but there not the real f1 mate, no not lucky enough to av raceing in our neck of the woods think the nearest would be south wales i suppose ?

Does it matter if the not real grews if there right fast and doing the job like

• Like 1

There are plenty top class, extremely fast non-ped "whippets", bred from top non-ped whippets x greyhound.

Im not sure if they could be called "f 1" as the sires will most likely have some greyhound in their make up, so possibly will be slightly more greyhound than whippet.

Perhaps this is the type of stud dog you're after ?

Cheers.

9 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

There are plenty top class, extremely fast non-ped "whippets", bred from top non-ped whippets x greyhound.

Im not sure if they could be called "f 1" as the sires will most likely have some greyhound in their make up, so possibly will be slightly more greyhound than whippet.

Cheers.

I Always thort f1 ment a first x pure to pure ? I.e grey x whippet.  Saluki. Grey , beddyx grey etc

5 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

I Always thort f1 ment a first x pure to pure ? I.e grey x whippet.  Saluki. Grey , beddyx grey etc

Yes, so did I, but the "non-ped" whippets aren't " pure " as most have some greyhound in them. 

So a non-ped whippet x greyhound shouldn't be called an "F1", but they would certainly be "grews".

But that's just my opinion.

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, chartpolski said:

Yes, so did I, but the "non-ped" whippets aren't " pure " as most have some greyhound in them. 

So a non-ped whippet x greyhound shouldn't be called an "F1", but they would certainly be "grews".

But that's jus my opinion.

Cheers.

Oh i see , to be honest not really sure what to use yet looking at different options its for a pup for myself and maybe be my last one so i gotta make sure i get it right ? 

1 minute ago, Loton Moocher said:

Oh i see , to be honest not really sure what to use yet looking at different options its for a pup for myself and maybe be my last one so i gotta make sure i get it right ? 

I'm in the same situation, mate. Recently had an old Beddy type put down, and my deer x is over 11 and retired, so I need at least one new dog.

Im 68 now, so the next dog I get may well be my last one.

Theres plenty of choice of well bred pups, bred from genuine workers out there, so making the decision isn't easy and shouldn't be rushed.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

Cheers.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I'm in the same situation, mate. Recently had an old Beddy type put down, and my deer x is over 11 and retired, so I need at least one new dog.

Im 68 now, so the next dog I get may well be my last one.

Theres plenty of choice of well bred pups, bred from genuine workers out there, so making the decision isn't easy and shouldn't be rushed.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

Cheers.

Thanks i know what i want to produce its getting the mix right ? I got till next spring to search anyway yet so in sure the right dog will spring up ? Already av a couple in mind ? Atb

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

The racing "whippet" which was the dam of my collie x whippet was 3/4 whippet 1/4 greyhound but, in addition to this, there was a collie x greyhound about four generations back on the "pure" whippet side. Fortunately, the breeder was open about it and it was all written down on the pedigree she supplied me with...not that I'd have been that worried seeing as there was also a pure collie on the other side anyway. Although, once again, I say pure but she was sired by Hancock's Tory who was Richard Jones x Katie so 1/4 beardie, 1/4 border, 1/2 Dartmoor collie (or 1/4 beardie 3/4 border for those who don't believe in Dartmoor collies.?)

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Neal said:

The racing "whippet" which was the dam of my collie x whippet was 3/4 whippet 1/4 greyhound but, in addition to this, there was a collie x greyhound about four generations back on the "pure" whippet side. Fortunately, the breeder was open about it and it was all written down on the pedigree she supplied me with...not that I'd have been that worried seeing as there was also a pure collie on the other side anyway. Although, once again, I say pure but she was sired by Hancock's Tory who was Richard Jones x Katie so 1/4 beardie, 1/4 border, 1/2 Dartmoor collie (or 1/4 beardie 3/4 border for those who don't believe in Dartmoor collies.?)

Here's the "pedigree" of one of the best non-ped, racing whippets I had back in the early 70's.

You can see it had collie/greyhound three generations back;

IMG_1229.PNG.a54395cba059076ce16b3d74a45af629.PNG

Pot Black;

IMG_0108.JPG.7b2ced1a82429fe12e24851d9320236b.JPG

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of those names ring a bell, particularly Blue Peter and Bilko so maybe the lines were similar. Thanks for the information Chartpolski. If memory serves me well, Skye's dam was called Sui and her racing name was Mermaid.