Yes Or No?

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seen plenty in The New Forest,..big old things.... My old dogs never made any impression on them ,..and in a way I was glad.... Also walked into large Reds on Scottish Isles,...plus had a few runs,

In the past, I've caught plenty of Fallow Does and Pricketts with my roustabout curs,..but only a couple of fairish Bucks,...a wire fence, (and a deep ditch) helped out Big floppy old things,

Posted Images

Some one told me of a pup not 12 months old that took a stag hard to bileve single handed I now the man with the dog was on his Owen and only four foot tall and spoke with funny accent sed he had a small crane to get it in the truck.some tales get told on here lol

wanker! Lol

That's no good should be doing them stags at half that age by 12 month I'd be expecting mine to drag it off the hill hang it up and get a selfie of it with the beast lol.

• Like 1

It's funny this site you see lads stating things like " I'm out 5 night a week every week during the season" "my dogs are probably worked harder/better than 90% of lurcher... FACT" " my dog is 100% day or night" and talk of fallow as if the dog looks at em and they die yet when these things come up a lot of lads seem to think it's an impossibility and right of anyone ever doing it single.dont get me wrong bet it's no walk in the park but stranger things have happened where hunting and dogs are concerned Bet there's a few lads reading this thread having a good old chuckle to themselves.

• Like 3

would a single dog pull one of them.

Perhaps some would have but regularly that's another question lol

I'd have thought about it like this......there's one way to find out.

Why wouldn't you have a run at those, just for shit and giggles ;)

I always think because of the locale, the environs and the magnitude of the animal a typical red stag is in this day and age off the menu for a roustabout lurcher owner

I'm uneducated in the new forest paths and tread ways , however twice in my life I have have extracted injured men from the hills , once in the lakes and once in the Cairngorms ,

To Harry down hill and scree with a person reliant upon your strength and nous to get to the nearest car access is not a pleasant experience

Now to assume that a succcessful hunt on these creatures with a running dog requires strength physically, resourcefulness to pick the best route, equipment to haul, watchful over your dogs all in the need to avoid keepers walkers other hill people is stretching on the nigh on impossible

All for years later to stare at its stuffed cervid head above the mantle place remembering old gyp and Ben who took it that day ??

How many are that keen ?

Whereas the other rather less dignified option is to kill , snap and ditch?

Much easier but for me a pointless exercise where no one comes out smelling of roses

So In answer Andy, im afraid regardless of canine weaponry, id give best and try back

Would you f**k, if we were stood there you'd be saying "f***ing hell brother, what do you reckon ?........f**k it, come on then!"

You have got your sensible indoor head in today !

It's funny this site you see lads stating things like " I'm out 5 night a week every week during the season" "my dogs are probably worked harder/better than 90% of lurcher... FACT" " my dog is 100% day or night" and talk of fallow as if the dog looks at em and they die yet when these things come up a lot of lads seem to think it's an impossibility and right of anyone ever doing it single.dont get me wrong bet it's no walk in the park but stranger things have happened where hunting and dogs are concerned Bet there's a few lads reading this thread having a good old chuckle to themselves.

nothings ever impossible in my eyes and one thing I've learned in the hunting game and in life full stop is always expect the unexpected

Back in the halcyon days of our sport would you of slipped or passed them by?

PSX_20170405_164509_zpsivo4rvee.jpg

if deer was your game then without any doubt the dog would be slipped on those. i would have thought that a large part of the drive to hunt them would be to see your dog catch the prize animal after all the time you have spent getting them into there best possible condition its nice to see them succseed.

• Like 1

On the irish video why run something if you are not geared up to despatch it immeadiately if its caught? No wonder screams of cruelty when folk wrestling with a stag .

I'm in agreement with you about that but that was the hunting of carted deer as it used to happen in Ireland and the UK too. They hunted for the hunt and the deer weren't killed. Illegal in both countries now anyway, so it's immaterial. Most of the coursing in Ireland is of captive hares by muzzled hounds, to my mind equally pointless but each to their own.

• Like 2

Forget about Red Deer, what about Elk? ???

I bet there's loads on here that could take them single handed.....

Puppy fodder. bull moose the only real test single handed got few round by me lol

Pffttt, nothing compared to that Cape Buffalo I took a few years back....