Yes Or No?

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seen plenty in The New Forest,..big old things.... My old dogs never made any impression on them ,..and in a way I was glad.... Also walked into large Reds on Scottish Isles,...plus had a few runs,

In the past, I've caught plenty of Fallow Does and Pricketts with my roustabout curs,..but only a couple of fairish Bucks,...a wire fence, (and a deep ditch) helped out Big floppy old things,

Posted Images

Forget about Red Deer, what about Elk? ???

I bet there's loads on here that could take them single handed.....

i took two with a redtailed saluki bull bassette hound
I bet it dispatched on it's own didn't it? ?
it had to it abroad on its own ha ha ha

I always remember a few years ago hounds were in full cry in a forestry plantation but they were heading towards a road that if they crossed would have probably meant most of the day getting them back from another vast area of woodland! I shot off in my vehicle and thankfully reached the road before them! I was leaning on the side of the vehicle with the hounds screaming towards me when two red stags appeared in front of me! They were massive I had never been so close to one before then a third appeared who I imagine was the Daddy of all deer, like Bambi's old man lol. The deer and I just stared at one another I was too frightened to move, the big one turned his head listening as the hounds got closer and turned gently with the other two and were gone in the direction they had come! Hounds obviously shouldn't have been on them but was I a happy man. That image has stayed with me since a few seconds that has lasted forever. ATB

• Like 9

If I had with me every dog I've owned in it's prime,at the same time I wouldn't slip them.

I reckon it could be done doubled up with the right dogs,but it'd be messy and dangerous and the 'right dogs' would have to bred for that job imo

• Like 2

I have heard it is all about technique with any decent sized deer, especially stags I would imagine, if the dog doesn't know to go deep in the stifle it is not going to pull an animal double it's size down, let alone three or four times its size. I am not sure how true this is but videos I have seen this seems to be the case. Never seen even a video of a big red being taken down though.

I bet if you could still these pre ban and if you were keen enough and really wanted one or two or three or what ever you'd soon be looking for a dog or dogs that were more then capable of taking these fellas down,I mean people moan about dog lads taking them look at how many are shot legally and illegally I bet there's hell of a bigger percentage is soon see one run and have a slight chance of being caught then a lovely stag ending its like the end of rifle just so some rich boy can boast about it with rest of his blood drinking mates

slipped my lurcher who at the time was 7yr old.who had done a lot of fallow and nothing else.a red hind broke cover one time. i slipped my kerry cross 40 yards approx he got hold of its rear only to get a haymaker of a left hoof an the the dog was landed on its arse.i remember the ground was very heavy at the time and seeing the hind loaping across the land.it looked like it was in slow motion she didnt look like she was covering ground with her running style.before she broke out to me i remember hearing the cover been broken up and knew i hadent heard any thing like this before and out she popped.ive never met reds since.

Cheers for all the posts folks,enjoyed reading them all,i think we are all pretty much unanimous in thinking they would be no easy task & a pretty formidable opponent for nigh on all types of lurchers regardless of breeding ✌ ..Ta lads

PSX_20160730_215007_zps6d2zp5gt.jpg

I have heard it is all about technique with any decent sized deer, especially stags I would imagine, if the dog doesn't know to go deep in the stifle it is not going to pull an animal double it's size down, let alone three or four times its size. I am not sure how true this is but videos I have seen this seems to be the case. Never seen even a video of a big red being taken down though.

As I mentioned earlier mate, I saw a half bull cross well used to mastering all quarry on this isle singlehanded thrown off a stifle hold as if it was a tick

The dog was 26 ins and about 80 lb and it simply wasn't big enough

The other three mutts choked purely on the size of the thing , those big fallow bucks just don't hold a candle

• Like 3

As I mentioned earlier mate, I saw a half bull cross well used to mastering all quarry on this isle singlehanded thrown off a stifle hold as if it was a tick

The dog was 26 ins and about 80 lb and it simply wasn't big enough

The other three mutts choked purely on the size of the thing , those big fallow bucks just don't hold a candle

That must have been some sight and a daunting animal to see in the flesh. I bet you won't forget that day in a hurry.
  • Like 1