Yes Or No?

While out lamping one night might mates bull x which was 28/29 inch to the shoulder went over the hill after a fox only to be discovered 5 mins later hangin to the throats of a English long horn bull that was huge we ran down the valley to where he'd got it and by the time he got there he had got it to its knee,s already I was the keeper there and told him we had to get it off quick or it would cost me a 1000 we both tried getting him of but his eyes had gone he'd lost it big time my pal is a big lad And I'm not small and we were struggling to get him off the bellowing went to a quite,r moan and both beast and dog were getting tired with one final tug as they were both in the floor we got him off this bull was as big as a red stag and this dog was on his own he was no huge bull cross either he was a minshaw lurcher cross bull that looked like a big old coursing greyhound but this dog had the heart of a lion and put to bed anything he was slipped on he never done it again which was good and he went down wales as a draw dog in the end

• Like 2

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seen plenty in The New Forest,..big old things.... My old dogs never made any impression on them ,..and in a way I was glad.... Also walked into large Reds on Scottish Isles,...plus had a few runs,

In the past, I've caught plenty of Fallow Does and Pricketts with my roustabout curs,..but only a couple of fairish Bucks,...a wire fence, (and a deep ditch) helped out Big floppy old things,

Posted Images

Quick question, would you rather slip your dog on a Red Stag or a male Wild Boar?????? ?

I have caught plenty of boars with dogs and a few that were big, angry and went off like a bomb when the dogs engaged and it most definitely is a buzz. Some people get addicted and chase boars like a junkie chases a hit. As much as I enjoy it I personally would rather watch a fast dog run a hare, but I know pig hunters barely interested in hare coursing. I guess it is each to their own but I suspect I would much rather slip a good dog on a big red than a boar. I hope one day I can tell you from experience what I prefer.

We all know they are the size of a f***ing cow, but with a free hand and if legal as Andy said in his OP, I know personally common sense wouldn't come with into it........that devil on my shoulder would be saying "I wonder?"

• Like 5

Cheers for all the posts folks,enjoyed reading them all,i think we are all pretty much unanimous in thinking they would be no easy task & a pretty formidable opponent for nigh on all types of lurchers regardless of breeding ✌ ..Ta lads

PSX_20160730_215007_zps6d2zp5gt.jpg

one of these in there prime aint no push over fuji

IMG_2937_zpsbamjn6hd.jpg

• Like 3

Quick question, would you rather slip your dog on a Red Stag or a male Wild Boar??????

200lb big nasty old boar , will sort any dog out, the dog would have to go for nose or ear , or other wise , it fooked if tried to grab any where else , they got short legs and tough bloody hide , they wreak a dog . even a 100 lb boar as very strong animal , so as real test of guts etc , a wild boar deff , but you have bring dogs up on them , in the 1st place . :yes:

Anyone seen the "Hogs, dogs and quads" DVDs?........they are grafting those dogs ;)

seen few others Wilf, on the Oz sites , and got a pal who in Hawaii , and he uses bull dog x hound type , dog had abd that were good at this quarry.But even him who does it all the time, the amount of dogs that dont get head/ear that get hurt going in any where else but the head, alot dont fancy it again and just used a baling dog . he said wild big boar is prob one of the hardest test of quarry for any dog .

here is type of dogs he uses

b2_zpsj2nzzjkp.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers for all the posts folks,enjoyed reading them all,i think we are all pretty much unanimous in thinking they would be no easy task & a pretty formidable opponent for nigh on all types of lurchers regardless of breeding ✌ ..Ta lads

IMG_2937_zpsbamjn6hd.jpg

have to say trigger ive only taken 3 mature fallow bucks in the last 15 yrs.2 of them even stopped in full flight to turn and take on my hound in a full on charge and the buck still stood his ground and would give it to my hound for at least 2 mins.my heart was bursting out of my chest.

• Like 1

In the past, I've caught plenty of Fallow Does and Pricketts with my roustabout curs,..but only a couple of fairish Bucks,...a wire fence, (and a deep ditch) helped out :laugh:

Big floppy old things,....awkward to handle.... :yes:

DSC_0061.jpg

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 12

In the past, I've caught plenty of Fallow Does and Pricketts with my roustabout curs,..but only a couple of fairish Bucks,...a wire fence, (and a deep ditch) helped out :laugh:

DSC_0061.jpg

what a cracking sight.their a beautiful animal all the same.

IMG_2937_zpsbamjn6hd.jpg

have to say trigger ive only taken 3 mature fallow bucks in the last 15 yrs.2 of them even stopped in full flight to turn and take on my hound in a full on charge and the buck still stood his ground and would give it to my hound for at least 2 mins.my heart was bursting out of my chest.

its a great buzz when the old buck stands to challange the dog. one of the most exciting times of dog and deer work.

DSC_0061.jpg

nice pick. they make your ass twitch a little when they are heading straight towards you and running for there life.

Big floppy old things,....awkward to handle.... :yes:[/color

DSC_0061.jpg

Did the dog bring you back the left antler of that front one. Does that count as a catch??? I can imagine the disappointment on his face coming back with it. (Will this do master,I did try)

Some one told me of a pup not 12 months old that took a stag hard to bileve single handed I now the man with the dog was on his Owen and only four foot tall and spoke with funny accent sed he had a small crane to get it in the truck.some tales get told on here lol

wanker! Lol

That's no good should be doing them stags at half that age by 12 month I'd be expecting mine to drag it off the hill hang it up and get a selfie of it with the beast lol.

:D