Yes Or No?

I live next to a place that has reds in the park. I'm not a long dog man but read your posts out of interest. Often the deer are right up to my boundary fence and I often think about posts claiming to take them. The big lads are seriously big fecking animals, I know they are park deer but they are are a big lump on the hoof.

The hinds I can see would be doable but the big boys it would take some dog to take one down single handed....looking at close quarters the size of them I would say no....

NO...long dog is taking a red stag single handed.... they may JOCKEY them but not pulling 1 down unless sick or wounded.

• Like 1

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seen plenty in The New Forest,..big old things.... My old dogs never made any impression on them ,..and in a way I was glad.... Also walked into large Reds on Scottish Isles,...plus had a few runs,

In the past, I've caught plenty of Fallow Does and Pricketts with my roustabout curs,..but only a couple of fairish Bucks,...a wire fence, (and a deep ditch) helped out Big floppy old things,

Posted Images

Heard stories of single dog been dragged near enough a mile over ditches fences etc eventually coming to a halt in a boggy area , they tend to run to water if dog in pursuit . Can swim as good as they run lol

It can,and was done-so I've been told-("the beer was flowing at the time lol")-a long time ago mind-but I believe it takes a brave man as well as a very brave dog/dogs to accomplish the task,and a good dollop of luck.atb dc

• Like 2

they really are something are they not? being they not used to being chased I think a downhill approach would be best likely, the right dog will get one to the ground one way or another, Id wager a few go under there own weight, but killing it outright a different kettle of fish Id imagine, Id say yea the right dog could would and has, think the man plays a part too

• Like 4

It's something I'd like to have a go at one day within the law of course even if it does take 2 dogs a fence and a lamp still some achievement. I reckon last thing I'd do is kill it though.

Edited by C.green

Single!! I would be disappointed if my dog didn't take both of those stags on the one slip. He might not be able to retrieve both back alive to hand and maybe he'd have to kill one of them to accomplish the task but I'd expect both stags to be back at my feet in under 4 minutes.? If not the dog is a cull surely.pre ban of course

Edited by jiggy
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Funnily enough I was just spinning a tale of my own singular encounter with a red stag with a member on here just last week

We had the odds in our favour and up until the vet moment we slipped I believed we done it

4 good experienced dogs, the high ground, cornered it in a fenced up stone wall field ,

Slipped the dogs

And it had ideas of its own,

It literally ran over 4 dogs with an average of 27 ins and about 85 lbs weight as if they were ferrets

No contact , no fear, just trod on them like ants

I think some people seriously overestimate their charges and underestimate the quarry in this instance

They certainly aren't a big roe buck or even a fallow , they take some serious stopping

I know I felt disappointed for a while afterwards but then again, I quite enjoyed having the rug pulled out by nature now and again

• Like 8

:hmm:Seen plenty in The New Forest,..big old things....

My old dogs never made any impression on them ,..and in a way I was glad....

Also walked into large Reds on Scottish Isles,...plus had a few runs, down in the West Country,...ugly girt feckers....more akin to Donkeys than Deer...

Can they be taken with lurchers that are committed to the task ?,...I believe they can.... :yes:

However,... it would not be a pretty sight,...sure, a buzz and a definite turn on, for them as needs it no doubt,...but,..the job would hold no interest for me.... :thumbs:

I make you right there mush as I have seen lads suddenly turn a bit green around a big winter dog fox never mind the best part of twenty clem writhing and spinning big against a fence line

Dirty deeds arent always done dirt cheap

inshallah

• Like 2