First Cross Collie Greyhound ???

You as an individual need to be of the right temperament to get the best out of one.

If you fit that bill and you get a good one, then they take some beating.

couldn't agree more shep. They take time and patience, most pups do but I'd say collie types take abit more tact.

I don't think I'm particularly well suited to them. Not much patience to say the least, but I like a dog doing as it's told and collie xs easy to train and miles more responsive so they don't get on my nerves lol atb boys.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A very good dog, I've a bitch out of him here.  

It really amuses me, people who spout about collie crosses without ever owning one. Most crosses will, if entered correctly, do most jobs. I honestly think that some do not like the collie cross becau

Here he is max. Farther to totes pup

Posted Images

The collie Xs Iv had just need time ! My Hancock bitch drove me mad I tried to much to soon she was mature physically not mentally then one day it clicked and a week later she died !

My blue bitch is very collie temp if I shout at one the dog or in a bad mood going out she knows and will be a dick of a dog but if she's fine she's some bitch you either work with them and it's great but work against them didn't matter all together

The last 4 hancocks I seen run were poor...

Personally if you want a collie cross,,your doing the right thing asking on here,,there's plenty good home bred dogs that knock spots of Hancock ...some line bred for generations,,,others that might have a touch of lurcher or whippet in the breeding,,,,,by far the better choose than a streight half cross

only can go on my own dog Bryn , he 9 now and a 1x collie x grey bred from a lad on here , so local bred (not a hancock ) . he been a very good rabbit dog great at ferreting, mooching , and not bad in the lamp , had quite few 30s in a night , good feet,good coat, not bad wind, for a 1x, and never been really hurt in 9 years,. t he down side to me is the temp of this x , is he would only do what he wanted regards quarry/runs , maybe its him i dont just know. But my other dog Buck 1 x gsd x grey , very different mind set , he will bust a gut to catch game he gives 100% on every run , bit mad headed at times , but for me the better dog :yes: . maybe a 1x kelpie x grey a better choice , similar to a border collie but different temp bit more full on, but as tomo says there plenty of lurcher x lurcher doing the same job from proven lines , maybe better to look there :yes:
would you have another ?

You as an individual need to be of the right temperament to get the best out of one.

If you fit that bill and you get a good one, then they take some beating.

Not just the temperament, but having patience, like you should with all pups. Each dog of whatever type, even from the same litter, is different, and will grow quicker/slower, mentally and physically than it's litter mates. Some will be ready a bit sooner than others.

Far too many people on here are rushing their dogs into work before they are ready, just because it's starting to get a bit of speed about it and is looking keen.

Look how many young lurchers are for sale under a year old, and then have a chat with the owner, and that'll tell you why the dog is really for sale. There really are some thick as f**k twats owning lurchers these days.

And to people that want to reply with 'well I started my dog relatively young, and it did him/her no harm', I can practically gurantee it'll be carrying some sort of slight niggly injury.

What's wrong with a bit of patience, your dog will be the better for it.

@ shepp, this wasn't aimed at you personally, but in general lol :thumbs:

• Like 4

Call me what you want to mate but they are not good dogs, if you want a dog that's gunna take well to rabbits on the lamp and the odd fare enough get a collie cross but expect it to be knocked up for most of the winter months, do not have high hopes of it taking anything that bites back, if that's the kind of dog you think would suit your needs then by all mean give David a ring I'm sure he has pups available 24 hours of the day every day of the year haha

• Like 1

Call me what you want to mate but they are not good dogs, if you want a dog that's gunna take well to rabbits on the lamp and the odd fare enough get a collie cross but expect it to be knocked up for most of the winter months, do not have high hopes of it taking anything that bites back, if that's the kind of dog you think would suit your needs then by all mean give David a ring I'm sure he has pups available 24 hours of the day every day of the year haha

I'm not a big fan of half crosses ,,,but I'm suprised you think they get knocked up,,,from what I've seen there quite a hardy type,,,

I've always been a bitsa type man to be honest,,,just a dash of collie is enough

• Like 2

Well that tells me everything I need to know.

You think a half x collie hound will be knocked up most the time.

That tells me you know next to nothing....

Abit hypocritical when they supposed to run half hearted, don't hit hedges, pick their own runs and don't like the tough end of the stick...you would think they would be brand new.

Haha brilliant reply shady. Cheers for the chuckle at dinner time :D

• Like 1

collie x is the original and best all round lurcher proven for many more years than anything else, period.

proof?

Let me guess you think it was a buddy cross? Your like a vegan to with beddys, every topic you need to tell people you have Bedlington crosses

• Like 1

Why anyone would have want a Hancock bred dog Is beyond me bred out of non working stock if you done that with a bull cross you'd get shot to bits by people or any other cross for that matter

he ain't looking for a Hancock.

I offered a Hancock dog as a stud, that is worked nd is a good dog. Also produced. Litter of young up and coming that have already caught rabbit hares n fox, don't think their 13 months yet.

Upto the fell what he uses mate.

anybody use this cross, is there any good stud dogs out there, any pics information on the bred would be much appreciated cheers

:hmm: How long for this potentially interesting thread to go, 'off topic'....not fecking long I'll wager... :laugh:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 8