First Cross Collie Greyhound ???

Call me what you want to mate but they are not good dogs, if you want a dog that's gunna take well to rabbits on the lamp and the odd fare enough get a collie cross but expect it to be knocked up for most of the winter months, do not have high hopes of it taking anything that bites back, if that's the kind of dog you think would suit your needs then by all mean give David a ring I'm sure he has pups available 24 hours of the day every day of the year haha

Sounds like you've just seen shit ones.

I've seen a collie cross do teeth for fun. Hard as nails. Built like a tank and take a knock as good as any dog. Pretty sure the dog never even saw rabbits. He was used on bigger stuff before the ban.

Gaz, I know more than a few people that had/have collie/greys that weren't/aren't even remotely interested in catching rabbits, myself included. And this 'lack of fire' etc mullarkey?! Yeah righto lol.

Like's been said, the people that slate em for whatever reason have either seen shit bred dogs, or dogs owned by shit owners that couldn't make a success with any lurcher, or both.

There are some very good, fast, powerfully built collie/greys that will deal with foxes in a matter of seconds, and thrive on being worked regularly.

I think the fact that you don't see as many collie/greys marked up as you do bull/greys, makes the dog less easy to brag about it 'doing teeth' so they aint as egotistically fashionable lol.

Maybe I'm wrong, never mind lol :thumbs:

I think you're spot on chief

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A very good dog, I've a bitch out of him here.  

It really amuses me, people who spout about collie crosses without ever owning one. Most crosses will, if entered correctly, do most jobs. I honestly think that some do not like the collie cross becau

Here he is max. Farther to totes pup

Posted Images

I'd say if it isn't marked up it either is my getting used as often on stuff that would cause scars ,or waits and it picks a hold ,and that's regardless of the cross.

A dog that's used regular on anything that bites WILL leave it's Mark.

Now if that suits some, fine .

But if you do more than the occasional one that you might bump into,whilst walking looking for other stuff ,it will start to show .

Fashion has little to do with commitment,

One has a point and winter reds can be very different than scrawny half grown Cubs,one bite they done . In fairness I seen a collie xs that killed em with ease winter time but havin four a night twice a week canbe taxing very the most determined animal tenacious terrier like mental attitude come in to the equation band will take that animal through a good seasons hunting.heavier stuff with teeth well there's probably one in fifty that go on to be top singlehanded animal that can take em regular week in week out sore or not,these animals are invariably bred for this job over generations. To put collie type curs in this category his sheer madness and damn right rank novice talk .atb bunnys.

• Like 2

One has a point and winter reds can be very different than scrawny half grown Cubs,one bite they done . In fairness I seen a collie xs that killed em with ease winter time but havin four a night twice a week canbe taxing very the most determined animal tenacious terrier like mental attitude come in to the equation band will take that animal through a good seasons hunting.heavier stuff with teeth well there's probably one in fifty that go on to be top singlehanded animal that can take em regular week in week out sore or not,these animals are invariably bred for this job over generations. To put collie type curs in this category his sheer madness and damn right rank novice talk .atb bunnys.

probably even less than 1 in 50. And that's not on about green ones. Ones that have seen it all before are the ones that the big dogs need to be put on.

Il bet more than 95% are giving there dos a hand. Been out with them, my dogs this n that but always carry a blade. Right o lol

It's the heart that counts. seen big dogs of various breeds that don't like being hurt and are more than physically capable , yet know a 10 year old bitch that wasn't fit,overweight ,do it alone with no-one there to help ,until the job was done.

Shame you can't bottle it.

• Like 2

I'd say if it isn't marked up it either is my getting used as often on stuff that would cause scars ,or waits and it picks a hold ,and that's regardless of the cross.

But if you do more than the occasional one that you might bump into,whilst walking looking for other stuff ,it will start to show .

I didn't say 'not marked up' I said 'marked up as much'. And it's a fact, you don't see collie/greys as marked up as bull/greys. And I definitely know of a few collie/greys that take foxes very regularly throughout the season that aren't as marked up as many other types of lurcher, bull/grey or otherwise.

And I agree, fashion has little to do with commitment.

Anyway, wasn't Ritchie87 just asking if collie/greys are any good? Lol :thumbs:

yes he did, and you gave your opinion, which ,I gave my opinion to.

In that if a dog is regularly used on things that have been discussed ,eventually if will get marked up ,I'd expect bull crosses get marked up due to there commitment. Rather than self preservation .

My opinion is a 1/2 cross of any breeding is a risk,I'd rather pick a dog out of 2 worked parents that have a few generations behind them ,doing what you want.

As to is a 1/2 collie grey any good .....

Let me see the dog work and I'll say.

In that if a dog is regularly used on things that have been discussed ,eventually if will get marked up ,I'd expect bull crosses get marked up due to there commitment. Rather than self preservation .

My opinion is a 1/2 cross of any breeding is a risk,I'd rather pick a dog out of 2 worked parents that have a few generations behind them ,doing what you want.

Fair enough lol. Though I do think that with any type, bull/grey, colli/grey, deer/grey or whatever, if you actually like a particular cross, you'll get more from it, even if worked on things that isn't supposed to excel at, not always, granted, but generally.

Hope that makes sense lol :thumbs:

probably even less than 1 in 50. And that's not on about green ones. Ones that have seen it all before are the ones that the big dogs need to be put on.

Il bet more than 95% are giving there dos a hand. Been out with them, my dogs this n that but always carry a blade. Right o lol

if foxing is there game and they need to use a blade says it all realy. never seen a blade being used on a fox.
  • Like 2

Somewhere grey ,good point pest control his just that and those handlers that. Need a blade for seasoned animal on reds piss poor the other heavy quarry also commands the right betypes for old they're out there perhaps yas ain't seen em lol for the pest controller doing it for control ain't no hanging about to watch a spectacle of bygone days, getting the job done and quickly and cleanly has possible using a blade his just gory .how one goes about the job with the right tool ta stop and do a job cleanly has poss his a must mediocre animals best kept for occasional outings leave the real pest control for those with the right tool animal for the job.atb bunnys.

Fair enough lol. Though I do think that with any type, bull/grey, colli/grey, deer/grey or whatever, if you actually like a particular cross, you'll get more from it, even if worked on things that isn't supposed to excel at, not always, granted, but generally.

Hope that makes sense lol :thumbs:

That makes sense, everyone has their preferred types ,for what ever reason.

But I'm a firm believer that not to tar every cross (whatever cross) with the same brush, I certainly don't buy into every beddy yaps or every collie picks it's runs ,same as every bull cross is too slow . Conversely I don't believe you can answer the question, "is soo and so cross any good"

These days is sooner have a lurcher to lurcher than limit myself to a certain cross.

• Like 1

Somewhere grey ,good point pest control his just that and those handlers that. Need a blade for seasoned animal on reds piss poor the other heavy quarry also commands the right betypes for old they're out there perhaps yas ain't seen em lol for the pest controller doing it for control ain't no hanging about to watch a spectacle of bygone days, getting the job done and quickly and cleanly has possible using a blade his just gory .how one goes about the job with the right tool ta stop and do a job cleanly has poss his a must mediocre animals best kept for occasional outings leave the real pest control for those with the right tool animal for the job.atb bunnys.

What serious pest controller would use a lurcher for foxes when snares and traps require minimal work and maximum returns?

• Like 2

What serious pest controller would use a lurcher for foxes when snares and traps require minimal work and maximum returns?

or dare I say a rifle
  • Like 1

Like most pesters the animal his just a tool in his box of methods controlling predators ain't about a jolly running the red foot packs use lurchers all over the hills and fells for the need of control guns terriers the whole shabang, traps snares etc ain't are not always viable on some places terrier men use them some 2ta 3maybe four days or nights a week .a real good animal can account for hell of a lot of reds in a season, there be lots of professional men that keep the right sort .atb bunnys.

The only issue with a rifle is you have to be there to fire it, snares and traps are always waiting 24/7, plus not everyone, myself included don't have access to a firearm, yet anyone can buy or even make snares if money is short, and with a bit of savvy and know how catch problem foxes

• Like 1