First Cross Collie Greyhound ???

A mate of mine a do a lot with runs a collie bull grey first 4 seasons the dog wasn't worth the kennel space imo however 5 years on he's doing everything you could of asked for him personally too little too late for me, I know there's some good ones around but it's each tobthete own I'd never touch anything with collie in it but it's just a self preference

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A very good dog, I've a bitch out of him here.  

It really amuses me, people who spout about collie crosses without ever owning one. Most crosses will, if entered correctly, do most jobs. I honestly think that some do not like the collie cross becau

Here he is max. Farther to totes pup

Posted Images

A mate of mine a do a lot with runs a collie bull grey first 4 seasons the dog wasn't worth the kennel space imo however 5 years on he's doing everything you could of asked for him personally too little too late for me, I know there's some good ones around but it's each tobthete own I'd never touch anything with collie in it but it's just a self preference

Shaddy loves a collie cross ?
  • Like 1

Shaddy loves a collie cross

Haha you know mate! David Han'cock' is my idol

Depends what you call handy, Iv seen a collie cross pull muntjac, fallow, fox, you get the idea, i also seen that same dog run along side muntjac and watch it run into a wood, and i seen it bowl charlies several time and spew it, I'm not saying they can't do the job I just don't think they as consistent as a good bull cross, and any collie x I have seen do the job has always had bull in it too, iv seen 9 or 10 different collie greys run several being hancocks dogs iv never seen one that I'd keep in my kennels, seen them pull up on rabbits, iv seen them refuse to pick up hares, and iv seen them come face to face with a fox cub and do nothing but bark, seen the odd one pull a fox but they soon regret it when they get a whack, all of the above was pre-ban iv not seen any run for a while other than on rabbit and likenibsaidbtheyvpick and chose there runs

Edited by Shaddy93
  • Like 1

Depends what you call handy, Iv seen a collie cross pull muntjac, fallow, fox, you get the idea, i also seen that same dog run along side muntjac and watch it run into a wood, and i seen it bowl charlies several time and spew it, I'm not saying they can't do the job I just don't think they as consistent as a good bull cross, and any collie x I have seen do the job has always had bull in it too, iv seen 9 or 10 different collie greys run several being hancocks dogs iv never seen one that I'd keep in my kennels, seen them pull up on rabbits, iv seen them refuse to pick up hares, and iv seen them come face to face with a fox cub and do nothing but bark, seen the odd one pull a fox but they soon regret it when they get a whack, all of the above was pre-ban iv not seen any run for a while other than on rabbit and likenibsaidbtheyvpick and chose there runs

i had very interesting chat today on my dog walk, got my 2 dogs and met this bloke and little lad with 2 collie xs , not lurchers just farm type working dogs , he liked my dogs, i told him they were of similar temp at home quite and sensitive , but the big dog Buck 1x gsd x grey , had very different mind set when hunting he was more full on than Bryn the 1 x collie x grey . he said that didn't surprise him , he said collies will do most things for there owners, there are very clever and appear to do as there told, but in truth there calling the shots, they only do what they want . he said it like them working cattle , the cattle get to know the dogs and the dogs look brave and tough going in to them, but he said the cattle are just going along with it really, there only tough because cattle let them . he said there thinkers not doers , meaning they use that good brain , and do good job , but not over stretch them selves, not get hurt , they have good self preservation in them And i thought after as went on the rest of my walk , that the bloke really summed up what alot of collies are like , as he working 24/7 on a farm , ok you stick a running dog to them , but that collie gene still strong in there even at 2/8's . :yes: so suppose really the way alot of colliex lurchers turn out, it not really a surprise , they are what thet are and thats it, i ve had old Bryn 10 years now been good rabbit dog deff day/night :yes: he still jumping 5 bar gates and mooching in cover after few rabbits today the old bugger lol, would i have another one , nope they not for me , some people get on with them, we all different . i t was just few lines about somebody who knows the breed inside/out :yes: he thought Buck was bit mad , must be the greyhound coming out in him :D

• Like 2

i had very interesting chat today on my dog walk, got my 2 dogs and met this bloke and little lad with 2 collie xs , not lurchers just farm type working dogs , he liked my dogs, i told him they were of similar temp at home quite and sensitive , but the big dog Buck 1x gsd x grey , had very different mind set when hunting he was more full on than Bryn the 1 x collie x grey . he said that didn't surprise him , he said collies will do most things for there owners, there are very clever and appear to do as there told, but in truth there calling the shots, they only do what they want . he said it like them working cattle , the cattle get to know the dogs and the dogs look brave and tough going in to them, but he said the cattle are just going along with it really, there only tough because cattle let them . he said there thinkers not doers , meaning they use that good brain , and do good job , but not over stretch them selves, not get hurt , they have good self preservation in them And i thought after as went on the rest of my walk , that the bloke really summed up what alot of collies are like , as he working 24/7 on a farm , ok you stick a running dog to them , but that collie gene still strong in there even at 2/8's . :yes: so suppose really the way alot of colliex lurchers turn out, it not really a surprise , they are what thet are and thats it, i ve had old Bryn 10 years now been good rabbit dog deff day/night :yes: he still jumping 5 bar gates and mooching in cover after few rabbits today the old bugger lol, would i have another one , nope they not for me , some people get on with them, we all different . i t was just few lines about somebody who knows the breed inside/out :yes: he thought Buck was bit mad , must be the greyhound coming out in him :D

Couldn't of put it better myself

alot of that makes sense...but next time ask him what dogs do they use to break cattle?
  • Like 1

My first Lurcher was a Hancock bitch, beardie/border x greyhound. To be honest she was a great little dog, very immature and hyper till about 2 1/2 years old then she settled down.

Was very quick and took alot of rabbits with her aswell as the odd longear in the right conditions but not keen on anything else. She was a good dog but i wouldn't have another​ unless it was primarily rabbits on the menu.

Neobliviscaris

• Like 1

Not all collies are equal. The problem is that too many of tbe 'better' bred dogs come from lines that made their reputation from animals that excelled at nudging small packets of light sheep around a trials field, when the main issue is not to upset the sheep too much. And many of these dogs have barely enough power to turn a determined ewe or shift a flock of a couple of dozen. They also don't like to run the hill when tired either.

That said, there are some game collies out there. I had one that as a pup of 4 months old got clattered in the ribs and rolled into the ditch by an angry ewe with lambs that he didn't see coming. Just when I was just thinking, 'well that's him finished for working!' he picked himself out of the ditch, looked round for what had put him there, and next thing he was hanging off this big greyface ewe's nose like a damned terrier. And all his life there wasn't an animal he would give way to. I'll swear you could have penned rhino with him. Yet he was a top notch trials dog that could baby light sheep with the best of them if required. His only fault was that he flat out refused to work young lambs at all - he'd just look at the sky and pretend he hadn't seen them. With their mothers no bother, but a single escaped lamb...no chance. I've a notion that he considered the job beneath him. So there's the arbitrary collie coming out I suppose.

But if I'd have been looking for a suoer intelligent running dog with guts and determination, I'd of been more than happy to cross him with a speed merchant dam. He had the heart of a lion.

• Like 1

Smashing wee clip there fellah,.many thanks for putting it up :clapper:

It really shows, the primitive hunting instinct that man has selectively bred into his herding dogs....same as the Greyhound and Bull Blood creators,..selectively bred their own required attributes into their choice of a working canine...All these amazing breeds and types have their place in the world.....

Only a fool would ever compare one fabulous critter,.. against t'other.... :thumbs:

Lurcher men. We don't often give each other a lot of credit! We all stand by our lines and often wear our hearts on our sleeves. If I'm honest I couldn't entertain a heavily saluki/bull saturated dog; It's just not me! But by god lads at least were the one's breeding on physical merit or behavior, instead of the aesthetics. I often look at the lurcher game and feel it wont last forever - that may be true but at least were doing it, we have adapted to law, and were still going strong.