National Service ... Yes Or No ???

Scot, what about something in line with the Germans (dunno if it still exists but used to), where you get a choice between military service of health/social care? For me national service would simply be two years spent in service of your country in any sector you were needed/wanted to work in, ie defence, education, health/social or even diplomatic.

The last two conflicts have been surrounded in controversy lies, theft, and technically an illegal invasion.

It's not the best advert for a scheme like this.

Personally I think the vast majority would say

" go f**k yourself"

• Like 4

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few reasons socks Well this is just my opinion,   First point some lads are just not cut out for that. I'm sure we all know the type I mean. It would prob drive them to suicide   Second I d

NO!

Bring it back teach them some respect

Yeah,they should have to learn the basics to a basic standard imo

but it wouldn't work now,what would happen if it got round social media and every conscript who doesn't like it there refuses to soldier at the same time?

In fact it wouldn't even need that,there'd be that many refusing anyway and no way to force them to do anything they don't want to.

NO!

fair play :thumbs:

I also think no , in the old day's kids didn't know shit from beans and going to war was looked at as going on a jolly . Nowadays kids are street wise even if some are lazy barstools I don't think it would be a good idea . If I was younger and had to do it and I had some cnut on my case shouting and bawling in my ear ,the first day I had with a live round in the spout he wouldn't be shouting and bawling anymore. Maybe this day and age there would be a lot more thinking the same way . If you sign up you kind of know what's coming so isn't so much of a shock :thumbs: good luck to any lad signing up they have my respect :thumbs:

• Like 1

NO!

I also think no , in the old day's kids didn't know shit from beans and going to war was looked at as going on a jolly . Nowadays kids are street wise even if some are lazy barstools I don't think it would be a good idea . If I was younger and had to do it and I had some cnut on my case shouting and bawling in my ear ,the first day I had with a live round in the spout he wouldn't be shouting and bawling anymore. Maybe this day and age there would be a lot more thinking the same way . If you sign up you kind of know what's coming so isn't so much of a shock :thumbs: good luck to any lad signing up they have my respect :thumbs:

I doubt very much you would murder somebody because they had shouted at you mate ........

Would say some could do with it as they are abit useless in the real world. Know plenty of people who can't cook or even make a bed lol. On the other hand who would want to go and fight for lying politicians only interested in lining their own pockets and forwarding their career. Didnt see tony blairs kids go to war and they've earnt more than anyone I know who's been in the army. Without sounding like some sort of David icke, there is probably a whole lot more going on than we know. If they said its the army or time inside even without the playstations I'd take the bird. Least you know your getting out with all your limbs.

• Like 1

Yep , it would be completely unworkable , kids are far to streetwise nowadays , would be mayhem . I think the money would be better spent on some sort of schemes that would give kids more oppurtunitys ,life experience , team work skills , adventure training etc , a lot of youth only know drugs and violence , they don't know anything else .

not sure of the answer,served 6 year in the infantry myself,theres a selection process for a reason weed out the ones that realise they made a big f**k up joining and end up with lads there because they want to be and are capable of carrying out expected tasks,like anything if you dont enjoy what your doing you will never do it to a good standard so national service could prove to be a down fall in the quality of the army we currently have,like i say who knows,never going to happen anyway

I think it would be great for people in this country to actually give something instead of take take take like they do now. As far as whether the kids would WANT to do it, there's far too much namby-pambying to people's personal needs instead of the needs of the country.

It would sort the people who are using their country for a free meal from the people who love it.

I think it would be great for people in this country to actually give something instead of take take take like they do now. As far as whether the kids would WANT to do it, there's far too much namby-pambying to people's personal needs instead of the needs of the country.

It would sort the people who are using their country for a free meal from the people who love it.

Took the words from my mouth :thumbs:

If your not in full time education or have an apprenticeship/medical exemption etc it should be compulsory ,MALE & Female,there is almost no trade you cant learn in the armed forces these days.IMO they would learn respect a trade and be a useful resource to the country instead of a drain. Its not all about war they can help out in emergency's ie the floods we had this year etc etc. Get some bloody pride back into the youth.Some of the creatures i see lounging around these days want double tapping :yes:

• Like 3

No!! I wouldn't want my kids put in harms way to fight some c**t in a suits battle !!

But what I would agree to is 3 or even 6 months training then if they decided to carry on that would be their choice

• Like 1

NO!

I doubt very much you would murder somebody because they had shouted at you mate ........

(deepcut barracks) I think I would ..

NO!

(deepcut barracks) I think I would ..

they committed suicide

I think there is also the problem that many of todays kids will be seeing it like a computer game, like the mass shootings in the US, because the kids play too much Call of Duty.

The mental health issues would be too many to consider. Testing would be paramount. Even then the probability of it working out, in a practical sense...zero.

Our economy is in too deep a recession/depression to be able to support such an action. We have too much of a nanny-state to allow the kids to be shouted at. We have too weak a legal system to uphold any kind of child abuse allegations because junior got told off.

Practically speaking, it's not possible.

Would it be good?

Again, considering the many factors at play, it would make some kids, it would ruin others, and it would severely damage others still. The potential for bullying whether in amongst the kids, is huge, as is it for adults to bully the kids. Would that be good? With our system the way it is, would the adults doing the national service be able to stand up for themselves if the kids back-chatted them? We like to think "Of course!" But the reality is the legal functions could well screw that and the adults could well be disadvantaged. Think about how few Scout Leaders there are. Parents are just giving up on discipline for fear of prosecution. Imagine the dangers if it's not even your kids!

There is no way it'd be possible in our current climate.

Did some human rights b**tard just mention "Forced Child Labour"? Even though it very clearly isn't that, it would be portrayed as being so.