National Service ... Yes Or No ???

My Dad did National Service, stayed on for another two years, Boxed for the Army too.

He always said to us as kids that he'd fight tooth and nail to stop it ever happening again....

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few reasons socks Well this is just my opinion,   First point some lads are just not cut out for that. I'm sure we all know the type I mean. It would prob drive them to suicide   Second I d

NO!

Bring it back teach them some respect

Nobody is suggesting that we should take the dregs of society and try and turn them into a fit fighting machine to protect the country that's not what national service is about ... As has been said we could follow Germany's example with them given the choice of military service or the health service ... It would get them off the streets teach them some manners some self worth and motivation and at the end of the term of service hopefully turn out some well presented self motivated young people ready to face life ... We all know that nurses are worked off their arses ... What a relief it would be for them to have a handful of youngsters on each ward to help with jobs that could free up nurses so they can actually nurse ... Do Germany have the youth problems we have ... No ... Is their crime rate lower ... Yes .... Is their economy booming ... Yes ..... National service doesn't seem to have done that country any problems ...........

I didn't see any manners when I last went on holiday abroad :no: the dirty krauts had put there towels over the best placed Sun bed at our hotel the night before :censored::laugh: :laugh: they were not best pleased when they went down and see them at the bottom of the pool :laugh:

That's not being rude that's being efficient and having forward thinking ... That's what national service gave them :D ...............

It also gave them wet towels and no fecking Sun bed :laugh: :laugh: :thumbs:
  • Like 1

Haven't read the thread at all but in answer to sock, yes, without any doubt in my mind, the majority of today's youth would benefit.

I had a couple of years in the army cadets as a teenager, voluntary yes, but the values and discipline instilled in me then have stuck with me, it was also fkin good fun at times.

Not too many country's do that any more.

As a point of order for Born Hunter. The US Military has strict fitness quidelines. If you fail them you don't get to soldier.

ATB

Well the guidelines must be pretty low fella as I have seen and unfortunately had to work alongside loads of yank squaddies that could just about tie up their boot laces without having a fukcing heart attack .......

Nah f**k all that.....some people just aint cut out for all that lark it dont make them any less of a man......i dont think you get the best of what a person has to offer through force.......i think in these type of conversations its very easy to forget what you yourself was like as a youngster......being true to ourself a lot of us probably dont have the right to dictate what younguns should be doing as they are likely no worse than we were in many ways.

• Like 3

Nah f**k all that.....some people just aint cut out for all that lark it dont make them any less of a man......i dont think you get the best of what a person has to offer through force.......i think in these type of conversations its very easy to forget what you yourself was like as a youngster......being true to ourself a lot of us probably dont have the right to dictate what younguns should be doing as they are likely no worse than we were in many ways.

This has got nothing to do with force or bullying or turning weak kids into super hard fighting machines ... Its more about giving kids that have fukc all a sense of self worth a belief in themselves that they can achieve something and some respect and manners for themselves and those they live with and the people they have to mix with daily ..........

• Like 1

Personally i believe theres plenty of ways to give kids a sense of pride,self worth and respect for themself /others........if national service was on the list as well and its voluntary then great................................................but mandatory....not for me.

NO!

fair play :thumbs:

I also think no , in the old day's kids didn't know shit from beans and going to war was looked at as going on a jolly . Nowadays kids are street wise even if some are lazy barstools I don't think it would be a good idea . If I was younger and had to do it and I had some cnut on my case shouting and bawling in my ear ,the first day I had with a live round in the spout he wouldn't be shouting and bawling anymore. Maybe this day and age there would be a lot more thinking the same way . If you sign up you kind of know what's coming so isn't so much of a shock :thumbs: good luck to any lad signing up they have my respect :thumbs:

I doubt very much you would murder somebody because they had shouted at you mate ........

(deepcut barracks) I think I would ..

Recruits didn't shoot nco's in deepcut it was alleged that nco's had shot recruits and that it wasn't suicide ... Anyway that's beside the point ... If you had the lack of mental stability that would mean you would kill somebody for shouting at you I dare say you would be in jail or a secure hospital by now ........

I didn't just mean the shouting but bullying in general :thumbs:

bullying(as you call it) weeds out those who will not be accepted or who those who are not 100% committed. old school yes, but proven in history.

Ahh I do like a good bit of drivel that you post but personally the above comment is bollox ... Bullying isint good in any Sence even more so in cases where the victim takes there own life !!

As a point of order for Born Hunter. The US Military has strict fitness quidelines. If you fail them you don't get to soldier.

ATB

That maybe so Mickey mate, but those stats I quoted were straight out of the Pentagon. That said I believe there is some speculation that they don't reflect the full truth being based on bmi.

This has got nothing to do with force or bullying or turning weak kids into super hard fighting machines ... Its more about giving kids that have fukc all a sense of self worth a belief in themselves that they can achieve something and some respect and manners for themselves and those they live with and the people they have to mix with daily ..........

Edited by Mickey Finn

ATB

That maybe so Mickey mate, but those stats I quoted were straight out of the Pentagon. That said I believe there is some speculation that they don't reflect the full truth being based on bmi.

Yeah, You can't trust the pentagon.

ATB

loads of yank squaddies

Would somebody be good enough to translate this into English for me? :laugh:

Edited by Mickey Finn

ATB

Well the guidelines must be pretty low fella as I have seen and unfortunately had to work alongside loads of yank squaddies that could just about tie up their boot laces without having a fukcing heart attack .......

There are plenty of fat useless fukcers in all branches of the UK military as well.

• Like 1