Not The Same As When I Was Young.....

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was talking to a lad yesterday, 23, has a boy aged 3. The lad has lived his whole life within half a mile of the sea. He's never seen a rock pool, doesn't know what a hermet crab was, never fished,

i grew up in inner london, and although dad worked long shifts, sometimes nights, grafting really hard down the docks, he always made time for us , and being a big family he used nearly all his spare

Lived on the edge of the town just near the countryside, the beach was about a mile away and the hills and forest about 2 with plenty of fields in between. My dad wasn't one for the outdoors or spen

Posted Images

I was talking to a lad yesterday, 23, has a boy aged 3. The lad has lived his whole life within half a mile of the sea. He's never seen a rock pool, doesn't know what a hermet crab was, never fished, never looked under sea weed. Has never really walked in the countryside, never seen frog spawn, etc. now fair enough, I know his dad and he's a pub 7 days a week guy. This lad seems to be not much different.

It got me thinking..... What kind of start to life is the lads boy going to have? I couldn't imagine growing up without living most of my youth in the countryside. Jumping burns, collecting eggs, catching tad poles, minnows...... This young lad just laughed when I said you need to show your boy a bit of nature, is this the norm?

Maybe we were lucky baw, learnt more in those years in the fields than i ever did at school.

My wee girl is six, she loves the dogs and gets annoyed that I haven't shown her a rabbit yet. It's too bloody flooded here. Loves thr dogs and cant wait to go hunting with me. Not lamping though she scared of the dark haha. Wants to take he dogs racing etc. Keeps asking me to build her a tree house, doesn't understand I aint got a tree tho. cant get her n when she's outdoors.

Like me that way, happy to play xbox n tv etc. U.til there's something better to do outside.

....i always try to play devils advocate....

over the course of this season iv seen plenty of kids doing stuff, beating , hunting and fishing.

Iv also over the course of my life seen plenty of lads who's dads were mad on fieldsports and the lads got all the latest stuff....shooting pheasants at 12 and more fishing tackle than john wilson, seems to me those kids took it for granted and were indifferent the the wonderful chances they had.

we suffered for our sport!!!!!! hand me down tackle and fecking gat guns!!!!! Dont make it to easy for em, make em wait a year or two before they get that next step on the ladder, get em reading about sporting adventures and dreaming about that first shot, rabbit or fish.

• Like 5

i grew up in inner london, and although dad worked long shifts, sometimes nights, grafting really hard down the docks, he always made time for us , and being a big family he used nearly all his spare time with us kids. building pigeon lofts or rabbit pens in the yard, making dens for us over the waste ground (old bomb sites, all built on now) making go-karts, cross bows etc for us. but the best thing he did, at least one or two sundays a month, we'd be up before first light and leave mum in bed for a rest, drive out into the north kent countryside for a walk around (well, whenever he could afford to run a car!), keston ponds, high elms, even down to the reservoir at bewl bridge.even the odd weekend camping; i remember one weekend it started pissing down and dad managed to pck the lock into a scout camp type place, we slept in the sitting room area , and dad made us clean it all up in the morning so they wouldnt know anyone had been there!! i think dad loved escaping from the city as much as we did, he enjoyed making dams , catching minnows which we would keep in the paddling pool in the garden for a while before letting them go in the local river, collecting feathers and bones and bits of stuff, and we would sometimes stop at the pick your own farm on the way home for a treat. i realise now how much i have to thank the old man for, apart from the love he showed us (not actaully that common for a man to be affectionate to his kids in those days around where we lived) the fact that he really was the start of my interest in the "great outdoors"

• Like 9

All is not lost for sure, kids are still kids and love the things we all loved...

Went to parents evening the other week, the teacher said Fin wasn't over interested in the project they'd been doing her comment was " if the project was on fishing or birds he'd of loved it"... My little girls the same, she likes ferreting and fishing, we collected mushrooms and chestnuts this year, she loved that...

Fins fishing party for his birthday last year proved that kids still love the outside, a big bunch of his mates came and they all caught, no one wanted to leave, the kids were 7/8 years old.. All asking can you take me again.. Maybe 1 or 2 at a time next time lol..

• Like 5

I live on the outskirts of a small town surrounded with countryside, and my kids (I have 6) are the only ones that go camping (out with a camp site) and they're also the only ones that see wild animals regularly. They're also the only ones that keep hens n ducks (and they look after them). They also spend a lot of time on Xbox live etc and have kindle fires n iPads because they enjoy them and let's face it if you don't have them your not cool! But I'm so chuffed that they still love coming a walk with the dogs or camping, don't know why they do, just pleased that they do :)

• Like 2

Lookin back putting air bomb repeaters and bangers through people's letter boxes was a bit out of order

crow scarer in the empty milk bottles or taped to the window, we were mad :laugh: use to embed them in mud and depth charge the canal :icon_eek:
great fun ?. You'l no beleive this een the stones you get on the rail way track used to put them on the line ????MAD ?
  • Like 1