Not The Same As When I Was Young.....

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was talking to a lad yesterday, 23, has a boy aged 3. The lad has lived his whole life within half a mile of the sea. He's never seen a rock pool, doesn't know what a hermet crab was, never fished,

i grew up in inner london, and although dad worked long shifts, sometimes nights, grafting really hard down the docks, he always made time for us , and being a big family he used nearly all his spare

Lived on the edge of the town just near the countryside, the beach was about a mile away and the hills and forest about 2 with plenty of fields in between. My dad wasn't one for the outdoors or spen

Posted Images

If we are amongst the last few who share this type of childhood we have been a lucky bunch.

True mate, technology has changed everything. It's amazing how fast it's progressed in a short space of time, say 20, 30 years. Not all for the better either. No one can deny the mobile phone and quad bike, really f****d up poaching :laugh:

• Like 2

Newkid, you have me on a roll here all these stories are bringing back memories.

On my field trips during the better weather I'd have my survival hammock with me, a radio and some sausages,small tins of beans and some bread.

After cooking my fayre(fancy spelling) I'd lie in the hammock listen to the radio rocking myself using string tied to another tree, absolute bliss.

I remember building a raft from a pallet that we filled with as much floating stuff as possible there was always one plank who fell in and it wasn't me lol.

Then there was the turning over of orchards which I planned with military precision 12 y.o. style, it included getting bones from the butcher's so a couple teased the german shepherd one end while the others got the apples.

Funny as Fcuk when finished and heading to the wall then calling the dog, well this fecker was psychotic and we were laughing running and shitting ourselves all at the same time.

Folks, how come we had no fear, I look back with shock amazement and some very fond memories now I've had my memory jogged.

Hope this hasn't been to tedious to read, I'll have a further instalment later.

• Like 6

Your right brewman,, we had less fear in them days,,, maybe all kids are like that,,, I remember playing in the railway cuttings,,these places were a sheer drop of about 15 to 20 feet in some places,,, and we would see who had the balls to jump down,,,the good thing here was the stones that the rail is mounted on,,were soaped down,,, so when you jumped on to them from high up,,, they gave way a bit,,, so cushioning your jump,,,

We also would climb these little trees,,, some kind of pine/ fur trees,,, not dead high,, again 15 20 foot,,, and jump out the top,,and catch the branches as we went down,,,

Mad really when you think about it,,,,

• Like 2

we used to rat loads of places when we where kids i remember the sewage plant always came up trumps during the school holidays i think we`d of been around 12, 6 of us heading out with our packed lunch and bottles of water at the time i had 4 smooth coated tan n white russells my mate cookie had a little tri coloured bitch penny and one of the other lads had a whippet called balu .... we covered the fields the ditcthes woods and the last call of the day was the sewage farm we`d all been warned off by our parents but who could resist guaranteed rats despite the fact you`d be in for a bollocking if you got caught we managed to get a few when trev sommerson turned round with a massive toothy grin that had us all rolling about in stitches he only found a pair of false teeth floating about rinsed em and popped em in :D on the way home we called in the shop and he popped em back in when he ask for his mars bar next day he attached them to the farmers landrover window wiper arm .. :D

Edited by the_stig
  • Like 4

Ratting, playing in dirty ditches, recon if tested we would all show immunity to the more common strains of Weils disease, how many had a bit of a cold/flue which was in fact Leptospirosis, what don't kill you just makes you stronger/immune lol.

any of you lot used to put pennies on the train tracks then pick them up after the train had gone by, all rolled out and wafer thin?

fook that the things you could buy for a penny :laugh:

Pennies,two pence pieces and the odd five pence piece. With the 2p because it was bigger it would get battered several times, sellotape helped lol.

That's the stories I won't be sharing with the kids.

• Like 1

Sitting here reading this in envy of some of you lads what yous were doing as kids ive only just started doing as an adult :D .....When we went out to play as kids if we survived the day without getting nicked or getting the shit kicked out of us we thought we,d had a good day...id love to of discovered the countryside as a youngster but still better late than never !

• Like 6

I might not have much, but what i was given when i was a child was 100% love, strict but fair,,but i wouldnt be the person iam today without my MUM and DAD, for the time they gave me to roam the fields and see real life. Iam the luckiest man alive..

• Like 1

Sitting here reading this in envy of some of you lads what yous were doing as kids ive only just started doing as an adult :D .....When we went out to play as kids if we survived the day without getting nicked or getting the shit kicked out of us we thought we,d had a good day...id love to of discovered the countryside as a youngster but still better late than never !

would you of swapped it now tho gnash?? Inner city life has always intrigued me tbh!!

Evenings folks, last installment I promise.

Every summer I used to head up to my aunt and uncles in Tyrone for 2 or sometimes 4 weeks. They lived just off the main road but in a big farming area. It was here I got out hunting with a dog, my uncle's pointer bitch who had an extremely high prey drive and excellent at catching bunnies. My cousins weren't interested in going out so me and Sheba would go ourselves.

Well we came across a field teeming with them, now Sheba was trained to the gun so she was the experienced one out of the both of us.

We'll we stayed in cover above the holes so they couldn't go straight in. Well there was a couple getting close so I let Sheba go and go she did like a greyhound on the track. Smart dog as she stuck to one.

I broke cover as she was catching up and managed to grasp her victim in her jaws.

Top lady she brought her prey over to me, I was over the moon that she was willing to give it to me. I felt like I had reached a mile stone in my short life, my first carcass with only help from Sheba walking across the fields with my bounty then into the house to show my trophy and then have it prepped for the pot. Oh yes glory was upon me in the blink of an eye.

But alas...... it was not to be, as Sheba laid her catch at my feet and I reached out to grasp it just within a hairs breath, the rabbit the rabbit came to its senses as it must only have been in shock and ran for its very lucky life past us into one of the holes.

Sheba with no haste took after it, we got to the hole and both of us started digging me using my heels then my hands.

We both stood back at the same time as we heard squealing coming from a hole couldn't tell which one of two as they were quite close together.

Then a flash of fur came out without touching the ground for a few feet unexpectedly right past me napper and as a result nearly filled the bags. Again Sheba took an admirable pursuit but the rabbit had a headstart and I wanted to try some more but to no avail.

The next time I was up Sheba had taken an unwanted liking to the woollies so she had to go, we brought her to a friend of my uncle's who had a large farm with no sheep for miles. I was sad and was forever grateful for my initial foray into hunting even though I felt I let her down she was more forgiving than any person.

Another creature I had an interest in was the frog for some reason and can't even say now, I was fascinated with them.

There was always plenty of frogspawn and tadpoles at home but the adults were always elusive.

I had a small pond out the back and always wanted an amphibian for it.

Well I got my acquisition from a ditch on my uncle's land where there were quite a few.

It was time to head back down south so I decided my newfound wet friend should partake the 3 hour journey with me. So I prepped the jam jar with an aerated lid some water and some moss.

Well the trip is going to plan until I(plank) decide to see if Kermit is ok. I took the lid off and looked in while Kermit thought this would be a good time to make a jump for it and he did, little bustard.

I near fill me bags(regular occurrence) and start crawling under the seats until some old dear kindly asks what's wrong

...er I lost my frog. Your what?. Me frog I reply and show her the jamjar. I'll help you she says and proceeds to tell everyone on the bus to look for my frog.

Thankfully he was located 3 seats back and caught by some fella and gently handed back to me.

What didn't occur to me at the time was that nobody freaked, was just like it was a regular thing and people helped the ginger feckwit find his frog. He lasted till the next year and ended up hating water always huddled on the damp leaves under the same bush beside the pond.

The End

• Like 6

would you of swapped it now tho gnash?? Inner city life has always intrigued me tbh!!

Probably not if im honest.....i was too money obssessed growing up messing about in the country never even crossed my mind but then i suppose if your not shown that side of life you dont miss it..........city life was so exciting for young hot headed kids i doubt id of lasted 5 minutes walking round the countryside that just wasnt a bit of me back then........its all part of growing up i suppose, i wouldnt swap country life for anything now....its just hearing folks experiences on a thread like this make me realise what i missed out on :cray: am i too old to join the boy scouts :laugh:

• Like 1

Evenings folks, last installment I promise.

Every summer I used to head up to my aunt and uncles in Tyrone for 2 or sometimes 4 weeks. They lived just off the main road but in a big farming area. It was here I got out hunting with a dog, my uncle's pointer bitch who had an extremely high prey drive and excellent at catching bunnies. My cousins weren't interested in going out so me and Sheba would go ourselves.

Well we came across a field teeming with them, now Sheba was trained to the gun so she was the experienced one out of the both of us.

We'll we stayed in cover above the holes so they couldn't go straight in. Well there was a couple getting close so I let Sheba go and go she did like a greyhound on the track. Smart dog as she stuck to one.

I broke cover as she was catching up and managed to grasp her victim in her jaws.

Top lady she brought her prey over to me, I was over the moon that she was willing to give it to me. I felt like I had reached a mile stone in my short life, my first carcass with only help from Sheba walking across the fields with my bounty then into the house to show my trophy and then have it prepped for the pot. Oh yes glory was upon me in the blink of an eye.

But alas...... it was not to be, as Sheba laid her catch at my feet and I reached out to grasp it just within a hairs breath, the rabbit the rabbit came to its senses as it must only have been in shock and ran for its very lucky life past us into one of the holes.

Sheba with no haste took after it, we got to the hole and both of us started digging me using my heels then my hands.

We both stood back at the same time as we heard squealing coming from a hole couldn't tell which one of two as they were quite close together.

Then a flash of fur came out without touching the ground for a few feet unexpectedly right past me napper and as a result nearly filled the bags. Again Sheba took an admirable pursuit but the rabbit had a headstart and I wanted to try some more but to no avail.

The next time I was up Sheba had taken an unwanted liking to the woollies so she had to go, we brought her to a friend of my uncle's who had a large farm with no sheep for miles. I was sad and was forever grateful for my initial foray into hunting even though I felt I let her down she was more forgiving than any person.

Another creature I had an interest in was the frog for some reason and can't even say now, I was fascinated with them.

There was always plenty of frogspawn and tadpoles at home but the adults were always elusive.

I had a small pond out the back and always wanted an amphibian for it.

Well I got my acquisition from a ditch on my uncle's land where there were quite a few.

It was time to head back down south so I decided my newfound wet friend should partake the 3 hour journey with me. So I prepped the jam jar with an aerated lid some water and some moss.

Well the trip is going to plan until I(plank) decide to see if Kermit is ok. I took the lid off and looked in while Kermit thought this would be a good time to make a jump for it and he did, little bustard.

I near fill me bags(regular occurrence) and start crawling under the seats until some old dear kindly asks what's wrong

...er I lost my frog. Your what?. Me frog I reply and show her the jamjar. I'll help you she says and proceeds to tell everyone on the bus to look for my frog.

Thankfully he was located 3 seats back and caught by some fella and gently handed back to me.

What didn't occur to me at the time was that nobody freaked, was just like it was a regular thing and people helped the ginger feckwit find his frog. He lasted till the next year and ended up hating water always huddled on the damp leaves under the same bush beside the pond.

The End

Beautiful i love reading stuff like this.....nicely written chief i was there with you for a split second !

• Like 1