Not The Same As When I Was Young.....

I can understand if you were brought up in a city and never went tadpolling made a tree house learnt how to tickle trout spent weekends up on the mountain and the hundreds of other great things the countryside offers kids when they are growing up ... But if you live in the countryside and you don't explore the wonders it has to offer and worse still don't treat your kids to these delights then shame on you ........

• Like 1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was talking to a lad yesterday, 23, has a boy aged 3. The lad has lived his whole life within half a mile of the sea. He's never seen a rock pool, doesn't know what a hermet crab was, never fished,

i grew up in inner london, and although dad worked long shifts, sometimes nights, grafting really hard down the docks, he always made time for us , and being a big family he used nearly all his spare

Lived on the edge of the town just near the countryside, the beach was about a mile away and the hills and forest about 2 with plenty of fields in between. My dad wasn't one for the outdoors or spen

Posted Images

It would be shite to grow up in the countryside and not do all the out door stuff as you wouldnt even get the benefit of having a town up bringing either.

I love getting the kids out with the dogs or ferreting, fishing or building dens/tree houses etc and they love it as well. Its easy at the age they're at but ultimately at some point will likely chose to go their own way.

• Like 1

I was talking to a lad yesterday, 23, has a boy aged 3. The lad has lived his whole life within half a mile of the sea. He's never seen a rock pool, doesn't know what a hermet crab was, never fished, never looked under sea weed. Has never really walked in the countryside, never seen frog spawn, etc. now fair enough, I know his dad and he's a pub 7 days a week guy. This lad seems to be not much different.

It got me thinking..... What kind of start to life is the lads boy going to have? I couldn't imagine growing up without living most of my youth in the countryside. Jumping burns, collecting eggs, catching tad poles, minnows...... This young lad just laughed when I said you need to show your boy a bit of nature, is this the norm?

im not sure how old you are but everything you just mentioned i did when i was young, always in the woods and countryside, caught frogs/tadpoles frog spawn ect, mice lol, catching crabs, all good fun ! this guy your on about needs to get his son out a bit more otherwise he will defo miss out!

even when i was a kid computors and tv were taking over... whilst i was down catching allsorts of critters, tadpoles and flattening 2p coins on the railway track, climbing trees and exploring the land around my house and doing stunts on my bmx and hiding pet rodents and reptiles under my bed

even when i was a kid computors and tv were taking over... whilst i was down catching allsorts of critters, tadpoles and flattening 2p coins on the railway track, climbing trees and exploring the land around my house and doing stunts on my bmx and hiding pet rodents and reptiles under my bed

when i was a kid the choice was black and white multi-broadcast telly or out, we were out from 8 till 8 most days and if we didn't come back with something we were in the shit :laugh::laugh:

most lads in scotland are pretty lucky. you dont need to go far until your in the great outdoors.

aye its shame no many youngsters are into the hunting/fishing or even just enjoying the countryside.having said that im pretty sure the numbers who do will be quite high.

like a lot of things we used to do as kids though egg collecting.hunting rabbits etc is pretty much frowned upon and illegal. aye were beggining to sound like the old c**ts we all knew as kids. "when i was a laddie" blah blah blah lol

• Like 1

Lookin back putting air bomb repeaters and bangers through people's letter boxes was a bit out of order

crow scarer in the empty milk bottles or taped to the window, we were mad :laugh: use to embed them in mud and depth charge the canal :icon_eek:

HI there all. Liked all your comments about youth and the old days I often remenis about the good old days when walking with friends just to day had the grandchild out walking we took sling shot with us a pocket full of shot my russel bitch and spaniel x whippet scared a few bunneys got one he commented i thought I be bord but ive enjoyed my self granddad can I come tomorrow :whistling::hmm:

• Like 3

I was talking to a lad yesterday, 23, has a boy aged 3. The lad has lived his whole life within half a mile of the sea. He's never seen a rock pool, doesn't know what a hermet crab was, never fished, never looked under sea weed. Has never really walked in the countryside, never seen frog spawn, etc. now fair enough, I know his dad and he's a pub 7 days a week guy. This lad seems to be not much different.

It got me thinking..... What kind of start to life is the lads boy going to have? I couldn't imagine growing up without living most of my youth in the countryside. Jumping burns, collecting eggs, catching tad poles, minnows...... This young lad just laughed when I said you need to show your boy a bit of nature, is this the norm?

im not sure how old you are but everything you just mentioned i did when i was young, always in the woods and countryside, caught frogs/tadpoles frog spawn ect, mice lol, catching crabs, all good fun ! this guy your on about needs to get his son out a bit more otherwise he will defo miss out!

Ditto me, nesting, making bows, Scotch arrows, tree swings, air guns our parents didn't know we had, climbing trees etc etc etc.

My kids were brought up in the 80s and tbh didn't want to know in actuality :huh:

It's half term down here, and today I did a 2 hour walk acrross the dunes and back accross the beach, the only kids actually rock pooling and the like were the "posh, rich, middle/upper class" kids from "up country" The local kids off school would be at Macdonalds, BK, KFC and the like, along with their "inner city" parents, despite them living in a fantastically diverse mix of coastal and countryside, brilliant part of the country :icon_redface:

Feck 'em, more space for us :victory:

Cheers, D.

The biggest change I see with youngsters is in the way that society puts the idea into their head................................that its always someone else fault. Not taking responsibility for your actions is almost encouraged at school now, this is not just me getting old, I have a 15 year old boy and they are taught that they have the right to respect, that's fine with me, the problem is that they take no responsibility for their actions at all. Its mums, dads, nans, a friends, their pet budgie or the ghost in the cupboards fault. It drives me nuts. I cant trust my boy in the house on his own, 2 weeks ago he almost set a calender alight in the house with a lighter but to him its no big deal...............FFS. Its like raising a 4 year old. If he goes to school miserable because I've had a go at him, the teachers sit him down and ask if there are any problems at home or in the family that they should know about, FFS, his attitude is the bloody problem.

HI there all. Liked all your comments about youth and the old days I often remenis about the good old days when walking with friends just to day had the grandchild out walking we took sling shot with us a pocket full of shot my russel bitch and spaniel x whippet scared a few bunneys got one he commented i thought I be bord but ive enjoyed my self granddad can I come tomorrow :whistling::hmm:

the saddest thing is most dont get the chance to try it once

His dad sounds like a f***ing tube, full stop!!

Ok his old man might not be a good dad,, I don't know,,,,

However my old man did 12 hour shifts on nights regular whilst I was growing up,,,so to be honest my old man didn't do much with me,,,but I was lucky to grow up in a little village in the 70,s. When we only had 3 tv Chanel's ,,, no mobile phones,, x boxes or computers ,,,,,, so back then us kids did what all kids had done growing up,,, we played games,,, played sports,,, and explored ,, climbing trees,,, looking at nature,,,,,

I think we were the last generation doing all this,,,

• Like 1