Not The Same As When I Was Young.....

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was talking to a lad yesterday, 23, has a boy aged 3. The lad has lived his whole life within half a mile of the sea. He's never seen a rock pool, doesn't know what a hermet crab was, never fished,

i grew up in inner london, and although dad worked long shifts, sometimes nights, grafting really hard down the docks, he always made time for us , and being a big family he used nearly all his spare

Lived on the edge of the town just near the countryside, the beach was about a mile away and the hills and forest about 2 with plenty of fields in between. My dad wasn't one for the outdoors or spen

Posted Images

Sitting here reading this in envy of some of you lads what yous were doing as kids ive only just started doing as an adult :D .....When we went out to play as kids if we survived the day without getting nicked or getting the shit kicked out of us we thought we,d had a good day...id love to of discovered the countryside as a youngster but still better late than never !

would you of swapped it now tho gnash?? Inner city life has always intrigued me tbh!!
Probably not if im honest.....i was too money obssessed growing up messing about in the country never even crossed my mind but then i suppose if your not shown that side of life you dont miss it..........city life was so exciting for young hot headed kids i doubt id of lasted 5 minutes walking round the countryside that just wasnt a bit of me back then........its all part of growing up i suppose, i wouldnt swap country life for anything now....its just hearing folks experiences on a thread like this make me realise what i missed out on :cray: am i too old to join the boy scouts :laugh:
fair play gnash :laugh: i was in scouts :D got every badge going and ended up an SPL :D used to love the camps and games we did in them days!!! you have found what we had back then now tho mate and as long as you enjoy it now thats all that matters ;) it aint like a boxing career!! the countryside is always there for you to enjoy no matter what you do in life or how old you are :yes: it aint going nowhere so just enjoy it while you can :thumbs: my dogs have kept me sane when i think otherwise id of gone mad lol its crazy that when no matter what life throws at me and no matter what problem i have at the time i can just grab the mutts leads and f**k off with them on a mooch and forget theres even another human being out there at times!!! anyway been out for an early birthday drink with a few lads (fecking 32 on monday :cray: ) so gonna stop blabbing on and go bed lol :thumbs:

There you go see.....what an interesting and charming young man you can be when when you want to be :laugh:

• Like 1

Sitting here reading this in envy of some of you lads what yous were doing as kids ive only just started doing as an adult :D .....When we went out to play as kids if we survived the day without getting nicked or getting the shit kicked out of us we thought we,d had a good day...id love to of discovered the countryside as a youngster but still better late than never !

gnash--have you had a days ferreting or a night on the lamp ? you might get some invites off the back of this and your never to old to learn ;)

I get out and do a bit now and then Stig im nowhere near as hardcore as some on here....im not in a position to have my own animals as such so rely on local folk in my little village to tag along with......im not a ponce so wouldnt ask anyone i just think the locals around me thought it was quite comical to start out with then as time went on my good looks and charismatic charm just kept getting me invites :laugh: .....

Never too old to learn never a truer word spoken :thumbs:

gnash--have you had a days ferreting or a night on the lamp ? you might get some invites off the back of this and your never to old to learn ;)

I get out and do a bit now and then Stig im nowhere near as hardcore as some on here....im not in a position to have my own animals as such so rely on local folk in my little village to tag along with......im not a ponce so wouldnt ask anyone i just think the locals around me thought it was quite comical to start out with then as time went on my good looks and charismatic charm just kept getting me invites :laugh: .....

Can't remember where you said you lived now gnash but I do pest control on a big country house every week near ascot race course if you want to tag along for some squirrel shooting and a bit of snaring and trapping etc .........
  • Like 4

Can't remember where you said you lived now gnash but I do pest control on a big country house every week near ascot race course if you want to tag along for some squirrel shooting and a bit of snaring and trapping etc .........

Ascots about 65 miles from me :D .......Very much appreciate the offer though mate snaring/trapping is something ive never done or have much clue about so would certainly be of interest not sure about shooting though im risking my neck being in possession of a catapult let alone a proper weapon im not good around guns !

I,ll certainly keep it in mind though mate thankyou for the offer :thumbs: .....

Thanks for your comments Gnasher,

Better late is definitely better than never as a lot of kids who grew up in the country and did these things either no longer live there or don't appreciate it.

Finding an affinity for it now with the benefit of maturity and life's experiences isn't a bad thing and if you can pass that onto someone else young or old even better.

I moved to London at 16 so all the country stuff went out the window for a good few years. That was until friends of mine moved their horses out to Totteridge past Mill Hill. Beautiful part of the world it was.

Every Saturday and Sunday I would cycle the 11 miles out to it rain or shine, it was my bit of escapism that was free, bonus.

A couple of times I stayed in their 2 berth caravan with their g shepherds when they were away to let the horses in and out.

No lecky but candles and watching the sun go down with a couple of beers. Bliss.

The countryside isn't to far nowadays but if parents can't be arsed and there's no one else to show them the way then kids lose out. That's unfortunate as most kids will have drive and will lap it up even if it only lasts until their hormone years.

Totteridge is indeed a fine place,lot of wealthy stars/celebs living over that way Mike Ashley has a beautiful home there,Arsene Wenger,Lennox Lewis to name a few.....i suppose its like anything if you are not pointed in the right direction at an early age you just dont develop the interest we never really left the concrete jungle and i didnt know anyone who hunted or lived in the country when kids spoke about going to the country or the seaside it was like they was talking about another country for all i knew yet in reality your talking what 30 - 40 miles........i guess some of us just live our lives back to front but im enjoying discovering the countryside and acting like a big kid so who cares :D

• Like 2

My old man always got itchy feet and would come home and say to my mother "pack up, we are moving!" After having bought some small holding or something somewhere out in the depths of the country.

I suppose it was a hangover from when he was a kid and hopping is what everyone did plus he used to have to take a horse and cart from Deptford to Chelmsford every week when he was 9 !! Which meant a couple of nights out at the side of the road.

One of my overriding memories of childhood is laying in the sun with the smell of hops all around.

I always remember that I couldn't sleep for about 6 weeks when we went to the country because their was no traffic noise and I couldn't sleep when we went back to outr house in London because I had got used to the quiet.

School was something other kids did.

Different day and age now and stability and education counts but showing kids simple things that are close to nature is right up there in the list of importance to me

Edited by WILF
  • Like 4

Sounds like you mixed with the wrong bunch of east end boys .I was amazed after meeting some of them in the late 70s from bethnalgreen and white chapel how clued up they were on hunting.dogs and suchlike.

Playing kerby, fishing the canal for big pike (anything longer than a foot lol) playing golf with one club, catching myxi rabbits in their droves, gat guns that fired darts aswell, tattie guns, home made peg guns (lethal at short range) shitealights at front doors, tying two doors in a stair together, moving the pakis Toyota 2 streets away popping the old mini bonnets and moving ht leads, hunt the c**t, 5 and a kick, playing football rain, sun, snow, hail, report cards from school, detention, lines, jumping of the bridges/rocks into rivers/sea, reebok pumps, Jordan's, getting a take on at footy from another street in the area, homemade go carts, sledges from anything that slid, all of the top of my head.

• Like 2

Playing kerby, fishing the canal for big pike (anything longer than a foot lol) playing golf with one club, catching myxi rabbits in their droves, gat guns that fired darts aswell, tattie guns, home made peg guns (lethal at short range) shitealights at front doors, tying two doors in a stair together, moving the pakis Toyota 2 streets away popping the old mini bonnets and moving ht leads, hunt the c**t, 5 and a kick, playing football rain, sun, snow, hail, report cards from school, detention, lines, jumping of the bridges/rocks into rivers/sea, reebok pumps, Jordan's, getting a take on at footy from another street in the area, homemade go carts, sledges from anything that slid, all of the top of my head.

Did you ever make throwing arrows them things were bloody lethal.

• Like 2

No mate, can't say I did?

Just came to me though, mouldmaster footballs!! How f***ing loud when they got run over? :laugh:

Scotch arrows we called them.

Made some real beauties from garden cane and Cornflake boxes LOL

Cheers, D.