Not The Same As When I Was Young.....

I think stuff has changed within society. Kids are far more technological now. When I was at school you'd get gripe for not having the cool trainers or clothes, but now if you don't have an ipad ipod and iphone you get gripe. Thats a lot of money on the parents! So families have altered slightly too, both/parent/guardians are often at work longer, with the kids in either nursery or a club. As costs of living are higher now. This has lead to the dynamics of family changing, and with a higher population comes more risk, I must admit as I kid I'd run round and abandoned fort with my friends jumping in the stream that went through it and messing about in tunnels that could have collapsed at any second. I think I'd have heart failure if a kid I had was doing the same now. I never saw another soul there apart from other kids, but now, I'd imagine it as a druggies den or worse characters hanging around it.

So times have changed, but I don't think its an excuse not to involve kids in nature. Plenty of you lot on here have your kids out camping/hunting/exploring and thats great. I do feel its a shame children have lost some of their freedoms to do this stuff alone, but with the increased risks today you can't avoid that. If I had been caught up to mischief in the farmers fields as a child I may have had a bit of a bollocking but now they call the police on 10 year olds!

I have just got back from visiting my niece who though she is glued to her bloody ipad will drop it immediately if I say get ya wellies on lets go in the woods! Lucky she's the spitting of me as a kid, and will be up trees, splash in streams and not give a crap if she falls face first into three foot of mud. I hope it lasts out the teens!

• Like 2

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was talking to a lad yesterday, 23, has a boy aged 3. The lad has lived his whole life within half a mile of the sea. He's never seen a rock pool, doesn't know what a hermet crab was, never fished,

i grew up in inner london, and although dad worked long shifts, sometimes nights, grafting really hard down the docks, he always made time for us , and being a big family he used nearly all his spare

Lived on the edge of the town just near the countryside, the beach was about a mile away and the hills and forest about 2 with plenty of fields in between. My dad wasn't one for the outdoors or spen

Posted Images

reminds me of an old mate john him and his mrs had twins john liked a beer to get the kids out the way of his mrs he used to take them down the pub in the summer most nights they`d be sat in the beer garden in the winter he`d take them and sit drinking in the golf club by the time they were 12 they`d be in the pub on the pool table never went on holiday johns idea of a 2 week holiday was a trip to the bookies and 4 hours in the pub --- i spoke to him at christmas he said he was embarressed by them he cant see maybe it was the error of his ways the lads are 27 now one`s an alkie the other a out n out piss head and dealer

but are they good at pool :hmm::D

one`s all right at beating his mum up the others handy at selling drugs to 13 year olds

Aye haymin, same here mate but I think your parents influenced us, did me. My auld man would make me boggies, bows, etc.

ma da probably got fed up after his 3rd son lol I'm the 4th he was workin away alot o the time I mind walk'n. Doon to the amusements wi my mum and ma da drove past wi a wifey in the passengers seat ????

Are there more risks involved today than there was years ago?

Or is it just because the media ram it down our throats parents become paranoid?

:hmm:

I'm sure there were just as many nonces etc back then as there is now.

I read a book or article about that and they said we were being made more paranoid by the media but that child murder etc was no more common then, than it is now.

One thing is for sure there were hardly any kids with type 2 diabetes or overweight 30 years ago.

• Like 3

Ive realised over the years sometimes when you go looking at things outside your comfort zone you are often pleasantly surprised at what you find........its alright for you lads brought up in country places some of us never saw fields and trees growing up so what you dont know you dont miss......but then there comes a time in your life when you look at new things and it grips you.....which country life did for me.....as our ol fella did you can only bring your kids up with what you know i suppose.....i wouldnt have any more kids now but if i did id bring them up with country knowledge rather than city knowledge all day long so what they would get for free i had to go and find in later life.....,just different upbringings thats all.

Edited by gnasher16

The thing is gnash, that's fair enough for someone growing up in the city. The lad I was talking too is from Beauly. It's in the country mate and he still knew nothing about it, had no interest and no interest in teaching his kid. It's the way he was brought up I suppose.

you can bring you kids up in the countryside and teach them about country-ways but there comes a point where they ultimately choose their own path and this may not be the one you have chosen or would have chosen for them, its all part of growing up

To be honest I just think society is rotten and kids lack a basic respect for anything or anyone else. They are just not interested unless they can get something they want from it. And they hate making effort in anyway.

• Like 3

To be honest I just think society is rotten and kids lack a basic respect for anything or anyone else. They are just not interested unless they can get something they want from it. And they hate making effort in anyway.

Do you realise those are the same words said about us when we was kids........every generation detests the upcoming generation thats just the way it is todays kids are probably no worse than we were naturally we will say they are worse today but thats the way it works ive realised instead of getting all pissed off at youngsters tell them and show them we had good times without sticking needles in our arms or glued to a playstation.....are we as adults in this generation doing anything different than adults were doing when we were kids or does the whole circle of hatred for the next generation just be left to continue to turn ?

• Like 2

Grew up down the woods, on the beach and in the fields as did most kids my age. My dad had me and my brothers scaling down 200ft cliffs on paths that were more suitable for fecking goats than humans to get to the better fishing spots, if you didn't know they were there you wouldn't see them! :laugh: Ferreting was a laugh and all, it was a constant effort of watching the holes and watching over our shoulders at the same time in case somebody saw us! :ninja::laugh: