Not The Same As When I Was Young.....

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was talking to a lad yesterday, 23, has a boy aged 3. The lad has lived his whole life within half a mile of the sea. He's never seen a rock pool, doesn't know what a hermet crab was, never fished,

i grew up in inner london, and although dad worked long shifts, sometimes nights, grafting really hard down the docks, he always made time for us , and being a big family he used nearly all his spare

Lived on the edge of the town just near the countryside, the beach was about a mile away and the hills and forest about 2 with plenty of fields in between. My dad wasn't one for the outdoors or spen

Posted Images

Sitting here reading this in envy of some of you lads what yous were doing as kids ive only just started doing as an adult :D .....When we went out to play as kids if we survived the day without getting nicked or getting the shit kicked out of us we thought we,d had a good day...id love to of discovered the countryside as a youngster but still better late than never !

would you of swapped it now tho gnash?? Inner city life has always intrigued me tbh!!

Probably not if im honest.....i was too money obssessed growing up messing about in the country never even crossed my mind but then i suppose if your not shown that side of life you dont miss it..........city life was so exciting for young hot headed kids i doubt id of lasted 5 minutes walking round the countryside that just wasnt a bit of me back then........its all part of growing up i suppose, i wouldnt swap country life for anything now....its just hearing folks experiences on a thread like this make me realise what i missed out on :cray: am i too old to join the boy scouts :laugh:
fair play gnash :laugh: i was in scouts :D got every badge going and ended up an SPL :D used to love the camps and games we did in them days!!! you have found what we had back then now tho mate and as long as you enjoy it now thats all that matters ;) it aint like a boxing career!! the countryside is always there for you to enjoy no matter what you do in life or how old you are :yes: it aint going nowhere so just enjoy it while you can :thumbs: my dogs have kept me sane when i think otherwise id of gone mad lol its crazy that when no matter what life throws at me and no matter what problem i have at the time i can just grab the mutts leads and f**k off with them on a mooch and forget theres even another human being out there at times!!! anyway been out for an early birthday drink with a few lads (fecking 32 on monday :cray: ) so gonna stop blabbing on and go bed lol :thumbs:

Reading these posts strikes a chord with me as a child in the early to mid sixties i did all this type of stuff, never had any sense of time always getting home late because there was so much to do, fishing poaching, exploring if you saw a keep out sign on any property it was an open invitation to go in and explore it, how many kids had an egg collection, its a wonder there are any songbirds left. Round my neck of the woods i remember roadside copses often had a resident tramp living in them something you dont see these days, often ex servicemen who couldnt re adjust to civvy life after the war. Out of my gang of mates there always seemed to be one of us sporting a pot arm which was worn with a strange sense of pride like it was a medal. When i watch that brilliant film KES it reminds me of the type of schoolteachers that taught me. One things for sure i wouldnt have changed a thing about my childhood. YIS kic. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Sitting here reading this in envy of some of you lads what yous were doing as kids ive only just started doing as an adult :D .....When we went out to play as kids if we survived the day without getting nicked or getting the shit kicked out of us we thought we,d had a good day...id love to of discovered the countryside as a youngster but still better late than never !

Thanks for your comments Gnasher,

Better late is definitely better than never as a lot of kids who grew up in the country and did these things either no longer live there or don't appreciate it.

Finding an affinity for it now with the benefit of maturity and life's experiences isn't a bad thing and if you can pass that onto someone else young or old even better.

I moved to London at 16 so all the country stuff went out the window for a good few years. That was until friends of mine moved their horses out to Totteridge past Mill Hill. Beautiful part of the world it was.

Every Saturday and Sunday I would cycle the 11 miles out to it rain or shine, it was my bit of escapism that was free, bonus.

A couple of times I stayed in their 2 berth caravan with their g shepherds when they were away to let the horses in and out.

No lecky but candles and watching the sun go down with a couple of beers. Bliss.

The countryside isn't to far nowadays but if parents can't be arsed and there's no one else to show them the way then kids lose out. That's unfortunate as most kids will have drive and will lap it up even if it only lasts until their hormone years.

• Like 2

Cracking photos stig :thumbs:

all just about gone the parks still there my grandads cobblers shop was the other side of the bridge --the corner shop was at the end of our street the church is where we used to get a spit n polish off our nan and dragged to every sunday and a weds night service....i lived there till i was about 11 bought up by my nan moved back with my parents when she passed away but spent all my holidays and weekends there with my grandad ------ my mum n dad rented the place on main street in the next pic while the council houses where being built -----i hated the place till i`d got my pigeons and dogs and found the open fields and woods a great big playground for a lost city kid ...

Edited by the_stig
  • Like 2

Well may not have been that long ago compared to you lot but :whistling:

I was born in Belfast which is far from rural :laugh: but my dad had always fished and hunted from he was young so it was obvious when myself and brother/sister was born that wasnt going to change anytime soon. Him and my mum would take us out fishing and hunting. Then when we got up abit they both decided it would be for the best to move to more of a country setting - so we landed in county down. Still they would take us out hunting and fishing only it was easier being in a country area.

Our holidays consisted of going to fermanagh and hunt and fish till we fell asleep :laugh: We always had quads then scramblers the older we got. Mucking about in fields and yes up bloody trees - jumping off harbours, crab fishing with them dinky bloody orange things.

Just running a muck and pissing off mum and dad really :laugh: but im thankful for our childhood. It could have went either way, we could have stayed and became city people or done what we done.

Most of my old friends are running about with 2/3 kids which they had far too young. But i choose to have dogs, and my make-shift farm instead :D

• Like 1

Cracking photos stig :thumbs:

i was at a funeral last year of a lad i was bought up with round st anns when i moved out he was one of the lads that would come and stay with us in our little village he hated the place ... the day after his funeral i went to have a look round the old place some of it still remand but the best part of it had gone made me wonder how my life would of been/turned out had i stayed another 5 year i`d of been at work --maybe would have followed one of my uncles into raleigh bike factory or players fag factory i may of never made the countryside and taken the path i did ... i think i had the best of both worlds ...

gnash--have you had a days ferreting or a night on the lamp ? you might get some invites off the back of this and your never to old to learn ;)

any of you lot used to put pennies on the train tracks then pick them up after the train had gone by, all rolled out and wafer thin?

There was a siding to the old cement works on the road between Dunstable and Houghton, where we used to put pennies on the line, lamped my fist fox in the field next to the line. All gone now, just factories.