for the alaunt guys

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jai, these days the 'experts' knock folks pictures and run you down... Most of the threads go to shit??

Go and look through threads from ten years ago and it’s like a different world on here. Folk who actually have done a bunch of hunting, having interesting discussions, and arguments about dogs and hun

I think a lot use to hunt but don't now and come on here for the crack which is what the general section is for. End of the day it's an,internet forum not worth losing sleep over ladies ??

Posted Images

this stag must be some machine of a dog tell me how your stag manages to get a coyote by the throat without geting bit and without shakeing it becouse surely when the coyote trys to bite the dog he shakes or does he just get bit and you said some grayhounds can do the job aswell come off it if a grayhound can do the job then surely most lurchers of any breed will do the job aswell :thumbs:

there is a big difference between fighting and killing, I have seen this dog work alot of coyotes and come up unscathed. Dan was being modest about his dog, that dog will outrun a greyhound to get to a yote and throw it in the air and catch the throat on the way down. Shaking a yote just gets your dogs tore up. The good stags will not have a mark on them. Every one that sees that dog work wants one just like him. As far as bull crosses or any other cross doing the job as good or better I just do not think it is possible or the hard core yote hunters would have them. that dog was worked on yotes ranging from 30 to 55 lbs with the odd onne being 60lbs that is a far cry from a wolf. I have had wolfs take my collies and they were dead before they could yelp.

Dan most greys are 90-120 just like most guys in the USA are 5'8"-6'. wolves from 120-150 are like guys 6'2-6'6 everyone has seen or knows them but they still get a little more attention because they are a little bigger than average. wolves 150+ are like guys 7' tall they are freaking rare and everyone has to stare. just some perspective.

Very good thread, i really enjoy reading about hunting in different parts of the world. Keep these posts coming :clapper:

:yes:

One of the best threads I've seen on here for a while. :notworthy:

this stag must be some machine of a dog tell me how your stag manages to get a coyote by the throat without geting bit and without shakeing it becouse surely when the coyote trys to bite the dog he shakes or does he just get bit and you said some grayhounds can do the job aswell come off it if a grayhound can do the job then surely most lurchers of any breed will do the job aswell :thumbs:

there is a big difference between fighting and killing, I have seen this dog work alot of coyotes and come up unscathed. Dan was being modest about his dog, that dog will outrun a greyhound to get to a yote and throw it in the air and catch the throat on the way down. Shaking a yote just gets your dogs tore up. The good stags will not have a mark on them. Every one that sees that dog work wants one just like him. As far as bull crosses or any other cross doing the job as good or better I just do not think it is possible or the hard core yote hunters would have them. that dog was worked on yotes ranging from 30 to 55 lbs with the odd onne being 60lbs that is a far cry from a wolf. I have had wolfs take my collies and they were dead before they could yelp.

how do you mean out run a grayhound it surely cant be faster or do you mean stamina to out run a grayhound

Bugger them things Dan Ill face a cranky old hog any day but those mothers would just want to eat you. Read a bit in dutch Salmons book I think about staghounds taking wolves but I think they might have been the red wolf. i have also read acounts of stags. and kangaroo dogs taking asiatic wolves in celon both these are smaller sub-speices.

As far as adding bull blood to a sight hound it is regarded as un-nessessary to do so in aus. as sight hounds have more than enough bottle for any game out here, doesnt stop some including myself giving it a try though.

stevemac

do you think a 3/4 grayhound 1/4 alaunt would be a good dog for them coyotes a think it would be worth giveing them a shot :thumbs:

Might not be able to catch one would be the problem.

By the way, Pop meant the grey wolves were that big not the greyhound. LOL! You are right them would be some big ass greyhounds. HAHA!

Pops, I am gettin my info from a few guys that see them alot not off the computer. You are right most are that small though but not the adults according to these fellas. It is really not rare to see 150 pound males but yes bigger than that is rare. What does it really matter though cause 120 pounds of wolf is about like 300 pounds of bullcross. :D