for the alaunt guys

The make up of most stags is Greyhound, Deerhound, and Wolfhound, IMO. Most are no where near a first cross, and many cant trace their roots back far enough to find a "purebred" of any kind. Some have had a dash of outside blood ie...bull, airedale, hound, pointer etc...but most have then had that bred way down. These dogs are bred for performance, not looks. A litter can give you 65-95lbs, smooth haired-shaggy, black-white, pups with very little in commen but the inbred desire to hate coyotes.

I have some 3/4 stag 1/4 bull pups at the moment that I have high hopes for, but know there is a good chance they will not have enough speed to be real coyote dogs. My terrain is very rocky, hilly, and mixed with sage, so it allows for a bit slower dog than the fellas that hunt the crop fields/praires would feed. Time will tell if mine will need another dose of stag or not.

Take care.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jai, these days the 'experts' knock folks pictures and run you down... Most of the threads go to shit??

Go and look through threads from ten years ago and it’s like a different world on here. Folk who actually have done a bunch of hunting, having interesting discussions, and arguments about dogs and hun

I think a lot use to hunt but don't now and come on here for the crack which is what the general section is for. End of the day it's an,internet forum not worth losing sleep over ladies ??

Posted Images

do you think a 3/4 grayhound 1/4 alaunt would be a good dog for them coyotes a think it would be worth giveing them a shot :thumbs:

Might not be able to catch one would be the problem.

By the way, Pop meant the grey wolves were that big not the greyhound. LOL! You are right them would be some big ass greyhounds. HAHA!

Pops, I am gettin my info from a few guys that see them alot not off the computer. You are right most are that small though but not the adults according to these fellas. It is really not rare to see 150 pound males but yes bigger than that is rare. What does it really matter though cause 120 pounds of wolf is about like 300 pounds of bullcross. :D

what kind of speed do these coyotes run at

Just wanted to mentin that i have a pup from Doc, and it will be used on everything, and as a 'Lurcher' more than just a 'aim and fire' type of dog...it will be out at night, used with terriers, bushing, coursing etc...it will see a bunch of different game as well...at the moment she is around eight weeks old i think, and already 20lbs...should be a good size for what i want her for!...i already have enough speed to spare with my staghounds, so a little more power, and strength, and a little summat different...

Kye,..

Great post Doc!

Coyote speed varys just like fox and hares vary. A good coyote can outrun a good fox by about 3 to 5 mph in my opinion but thats not as important as a few other qualities. First off, you will not usually be able to get as close to a coyote as one would a fox and definately not as close as one could get to a hare so the requirement for exceptional early speed is very important. The second thing is that a coyote has about twice the endurance as a good fox does. The good thing though is that they are easier to catch one caught up to than a fox is cause they just dont have that ability to duck and dodge like a good fox or hare does. And........if they do have the ability they usually dont show it cause when you catch up to a coyote they are usually gonna start tryin to fight your dog off and will fight off all but the best stags. They are alot of fun to run down though and seriously some of you fellas should come try it someday. Its really a long dog game though and not much of a lurcher game cause alot of lurchers just cant catch a good coyote.

I wanted to add something here that I hope Uphill and some others will somewhat agree with. Some really good coyote type stags will never catch a hare. Some of them dont care to actually and some of them just aint capable. They are fast enough for sure but they cant reach like some hare dogs and they cant cut and turn are re-accelerate fast enough out of the corners. Some of them dont even do that well on fox actually but most make a fox look fairly easy. Some of the real big ones though will not be able to do fox but them kind really aint the ones most of us are lookin for. My yella dog caught a rabbit the other day though and did a damn good job at it but I dont think he has ever caught a hare to my knowledge but he really just dont care about that stuff. He puts his heart into it on a yote but he considers other game kind of inferior I think.

do you think a 3/4 grayhound 1/4 alaunt would be a good dog for them coyotes a think it would be worth giveing them a shot :thumbs:

Might not be able to catch one would be the problem.

By the way, Pop meant the grey wolves were that big not the greyhound. LOL! You are right them would be some big ass greyhounds. HAHA!

Pops, I am gettin my info from a few guys that see them alot not off the computer. You are right most are that small though but not the adults according to these fellas. It is really not rare to see 150 pound males but yes bigger than that is rare. What does it really matter though cause 120 pounds of wolf is about like 300 pounds of bullcross. :D

do you think this dog could catch a coyote he is 1/4 alaunt

Picture135.jpg

and if he could not kill it heres his granmother she would defonetly kill it am prety sure of it she is a first generation alaunt Image032.jpg

He might be able to partner. You would have to try him out and see for yourself. 1/4 bull types will have a hard time catchin one but they might could if they are the right one I would think. You might would have to go one more step and then use all the 3 of them dogs to do the job. Thats what most guys do anyhow and thats what prevents there being more great coyote dogs though.

Take your toughest best deerhound/greyhound fox dogs and your best 3/4 bull crosses and go to blending them together and you will probably eventually get dogs that can consistently take a good coyote.

You will have to be able to test them though and cull like crazy to get to that point.

Edited by Dan Edwards
Take your toughest best deerhound/greyhound fox dogs and your best 3/4 bull crosses and go to blending them together and you will probably eventually get dogs that can consistently take a good coyote.

You will have to be able to test them though and cull like crazy to get to that point.

Great Post+info Dan ;) Deerhoundx's of the 70's, which had a little bit of collie, and some times irish in them. Would take all game in the UK. They were very popular x, they still have alot to offer to the lurcher game today.?

Dan, you make a VERY interesting point there mate...people seem happy to 'make-do' with some things...like some guys will use pure greyhounds to run a yote down, get him to turn and fight, then use bigger dogs to kill him etc...imo, if there are dogs out there that CAN do the job, either single handed, or, at the most, doubled-up, then why not just concentrate on using them in the gene pool!?...my dogs havent been on that many yotes, but the ones that they have been on, they done well...i think they will be good dogs once i have a rig, and if Hoss1 is able to tolerate me, i will run out to his and realy test them on yotes more...i sure wouldnt be keen on keeping dogs where it needed more than two dogs to deal with a yote though, but thats just me!...i agree with what you lads say,..i dont mind being out run, but i dont wanna get out fought!...lol...if a yote is faster/smarter than my dogs, then i tip my hat to him, but im not gonna feed 70-85lbs dogs that wont do coyotes doubled up...it dont make sense to me!...great thread guys, keep it coming!

Kye..

Dan-I do agree that many of the best "coyote dogs" will not make great "hare/jackrabbit" dogs. Truth is many dont show much interest after a season of coyotes. From the little I have seen/heard from the hare hunters, the type dog they use is different than many coyote hunters prefer. Smaller, lighter framed, lots of distance. A blend of Saluki type blood seems popular, where the hare hunting is more an endurance test than a speed/agility test. The terrain here makes hare hunting more a quickness game, IMO, but I have never been serious about them, and just let my pups grow up chasing them and figuring out how to run on them. My smaller dogs have done OK catching them, but they would be an embaressment to a real hare hunter I imagine.

bud9-That 3/4 dog looks more like the dogs I prefer, and may do OK in rough ground like I hunt, but I would be surprised if it could even stay in the race with the dogs the "flatlanders" run.

Take care.

Dan-I do agree that many of the best "coyote dogs" will not make great "hare/jackrabbit" dogs. Truth is many dont show much interest after a season of coyotes. From the little I have seen/heard from the hare hunters, the type dog they use is different than many coyote hunters prefer. Smaller, lighter framed, lots of distance. A blend of Saluki type blood seems popular, where the hare hunting is more an endurance test than a speed/agility test. The terrain here makes hare hunting more a quickness game, IMO, but I have never been serious about them, and just let my pups grow up chasing them and figuring out how to run on them. My smaller dogs have done OK catching them, but they would be an embaressment to a real hare hunter I imagine.

bud9-That 3/4 dog looks more like the dogs I prefer, and may do OK in rough ground like I hunt, but I would be surprised if it could even stay in the race with the dogs the "flatlanders" run.

Take care.

he is quick at a take off but over here we are limited to what we can hunt with all the laws

Dan, you make a VERY interesting point there mate...people seem happy to 'make-do' with some things...like some guys will use pure greyhounds to run a yote down, get him to turn and fight, then use bigger dogs to kill him etc...imo, if there are dogs out there that CAN do the job, either single handed, or, at the most, doubled-up, then why not just concentrate on using them in the gene pool!?...my dogs havent been on that many yotes, but the ones that they have been on, they done well...i think they will be good dogs once i have a rig, and if Hoss1 is able to tolerate me, i will run out to his and realy test them on yotes more...i sure wouldnt be keen on keeping dogs where it needed more than two dogs to deal with a yote though, but thats just me!...i agree with what you lads say,..i dont mind being out run, but i dont wanna get out fought!...lol...if a yote is faster/smarter than my dogs, then i tip my hat to him, but im not gonna feed 70-85lbs dogs that wont do coyotes doubled up...it dont make sense to me!...great thread guys, keep it coming!

Kye..

When you are ready to put your dogs on coyotes, you just give me a shout. I will show you a few things I have learned and maybe you can teach me somethint too. I will tell you this for sure. You do not need to have a rig. I do not have one and I have caught quite a few coyotes this year. Not as much as the guys who truck them but I do not live in that kind of country but if I did, I know I would still not need a rig. There is nothing wrong at all with one but I promise you, you do not have to have one to get started.

Thanks Dan, that is a VERY kind offer mate,...i will have to wait until next season now though, if thats ok?...my dogs 'aint done much for a while, and are kinda fat and lazy at the moment!...they will probably show me up anyway, so i would atleast want them in the best shape possible, so i dont look so bad...better to have fit, shit dogs, than fat and lazy shit dogs right!?..lol.

I will definatly take you up on the offer though mate, as i have been REALY struggling to get on the yotes in my area!...we have a subura that i use, thats a cool vehical for what we do, and cheap to run!..lol.

The coyotes we take are very much buy chance, and a much welcome 'treat' for us, when out after other game...

I will look forward to seeing you next mate, and have a good summer!...

Kye..

PS...dont exspect to learn anything from me, other than a few new cuss words maybe!..lol.