Using lurchers for other jobs?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Levigsp,.. yes, I like to use a lurcher for as many different tasks, as I can,...possibly I am just a bit mean, and want my money's worth?    

Yes but only on command. She'll sit under a high seat and watch deer for hours but if we are tracking a wounded one and it gets up in front of us I can ask her to pull it. The indicating is the best b

?Never thought I would say it,. or even think in such a way,...but nowadays, I don't really care, if a dog is good at the job or not. Financially, my status has changed a bit,...not drastically,

Posted Images

3 hours ago, bird said:

You  got a male lurcher as well Paul, or just that lurcher bitch. I've never had lurcher inside. I suppose looking back, old Bryn would have made good house dog, he was laid back, and been no prob. Buck would be a pain in the arse in the house,  could never trust him with any food about,  and I wouldn't leave in the house on his own, if you went out to shops etc, he a fookin chewer = wood, had to wire mesh inside his kennel, know he better of outside out of the way, lol. 

No Ray, just the bitch now... My family has seen to her and my other dog, spending long times in the house, and though I never wanted it, like with Daniel's dogs, we all share the upkeep. For me, i've enjoyed it all, so far and the Lurcher has had me smiling much more than frowning, which is why I wrote the original post.

Mine still live out, I'm still allergic and it's easier but when we're home they are in, they are clean too and as I said I'm enjoying the comedic antics of this lurcher no end. ?

4 hours ago, OldPhil said:

?Never thought I would say it,. or even think in such a way,...but nowadays, I don't really care, if a dog is good at the job or not.

Financially, my status has changed a bit,...not drastically,...(we are still living in our wee terraced house), but, I don't have to worry about keeping dogs solely for work...so,.. its all about the enjoyment, the craic and the good times now..?

I have foolishly allowed, my obsessional Life with Lurchers, to rule my entire being, for far too long...

Time to chill out,.. and smell the coffee...?

Phil File0305 copy.jpg

4 hours ago, OldPhil said:

?Never thought I would say it,. or even think in such a way,...but nowadays, I don't really care, if a dog is good at the job or not.

Financially, my status has changed a bit,...not drastically,...(we are still living in our wee terraced house), but, I don't have to worry about keeping dogs solely for work...so,.. its all about the enjoyment, the craic and the good times now..?

I have foolishly allowed, my obsessional Life with Lurchers, to rule my entire being, for far too long...

Time to chill out,.. and smell the coffee...?

Phil File0305 copy.jpg

That is because we are, who we are, I get less game than I did when I was much younger but that isn't my style these days .If a dog misses its target I just deliver a pat & say ,"Nice try now come on fella we will get it next time" .The Talley's no longer hold any value for me ,these days its all about enjoyment ,spending my time very carefully. Strange as it might seem, at this much slower level /pace I'm rewarded more  and gain simple pleasure doing less .I know the dogs I own very well ,I spend most days walking /working the dogs and find I don't judge them as hard as I once did, they all carry some faults just as I do. We as sportspersons choose this life ,its in our DNA ,may it long continue ......  

• Like 8
10 hours ago, OldPhil said:

? IF, you like a dog,..it will invariably be, a good dog....?

In saying that,..my best ever 'catch dog' was a bitch named Mercedes,...I disliked her attitude, and we never really jelled until she was well into her dotage....

It was never her fault, mine entirely....I was a fool...?

I reckon you will be a lot wiser, and will have some grand old times...?

True, I don't believe a dog, however much of an asshole it seems, ever does things purposely to displease it's owner. Some may be wild or difficult in one man's hands and perfectly behaved in another's. Personality clashes happen. I had to part with a good dog once for this reason but he and the new owner work well without a problem.

• Like 5

I remember reading in one of John Holmes' books that, if you're not sure whether or not to persevere with a particular dog, it sometimes helps to move it into the house as you'll soon find out, one way or the other, if you like each other or not. 

I always thought of my dogs as outside dogs who spent most of their time indoors. I know that doesn't make sense, but they slept outside and were outside when I was at work, but indoors (or out with me of course) the rest of the time. Now, thanks to a neighbour who let me know every single time a dog barked, and a wife who doesn't like upsetting the neighbours, mine have been house dogs for several years. As somebody said above, you get a much better bond with them and they're a much stronger part of the family...apart from Ned.?

• Like 3

Things change with time and we mellow and allow certain things to slide with our dogs. The pup I bred last year is coming up to a year old now but back in my twenties he wouldn’t have made 6 months. With age comes wisdom and patience ……

• Like 13
1 hour ago, socks said:

Things change with time and we mellow and allow certain things to slide with our dogs. The pup I bred last year is coming up to a year old now but back in my twenties he wouldn’t have made 6 months. With age comes wisdom and patience ……

Very true mate, this dog I've got is now 18 months and he's still like a pup in many ways.  He is a proper dick sometimes but I do like him, 30/40 years back he may well have been in the ground by now.

Cheers, D.

• Like 2

I had a very good dog couple years ago i had him put down around the age of 6 alot of people couldnt understand why but I genuinely disliked the dog most the time he was like a person unbelievabley clever on a good day he was the best thing id ever laid eyes on but a bad day you just had to forget about him. My bitch i have prob wont run half in her lifetime what he caught but im happier with her definitley 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, C.green said:

I had a very good dog couple years ago i had him put down around the age of 6 alot of people couldnt understand why but I genuinely disliked the dog most the time he was like a person unbelievabley clever on a good day he was the best thing id ever laid eyes on but a bad day you just had to forget about him. My bitch i have prob wont run half in her lifetime what he caught but im happier with her definitley 

Was that the brindle Charlie ? I remember you all ways had pics of a dog that was catching lots but you never seemed over enthusiastic about it 

Thats the one terry. I once killed 7 hares with him daytime on good land took 60 something deer in his first season second season loads more. Alot of people including some on here said it was the best deer dog theyd seen id agree with regards to roe. But 90% of the time all hed do is piss me off with his funny ways.

The red dog i had at same time was slower didnt kill as much but was a nicer animal kept him until he was 12 year old. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, C.green said:

Thats the one terry. I once killed 7 hares with him daytime on good land took 60 something deer in his first season second season loads more. Alot of people including some on here said it was the best deer dog theyd seen id agree with regards to roe. But 90% of the time all hed do is piss me off with his funny ways.

The red dog i had at same time was slower didnt kill as much but was a nicer animal kept him until he was 12 year old. 

Sounds like a very capable dog! Still got any pics? 

5 hours ago, socks said:

Will he last 13 months??? ??

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, C.green said:

Seems the bond we have with our dogs overide how efficient a hunter they are unless maybe you are doing pest control for a living. I've only had 2 males that I bonded with where I've bonded with most of the bitches. I can't stand the whining when at home mostly that the males I've had seem to excel at, lol.

• Thanks 1