Using lurchers for other jobs?

Stiff you been in the army what 20 yrs?what's the craic having a dog?is it only possible if your in married quarters?bet there's a fair bit to go at around these barracks?I've had the the pleasure of hunting on various bits of mod land over the yrs?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Levigsp,.. yes, I like to use a lurcher for as many different tasks, as I can,...possibly I am just a bit mean, and want my money's worth?    

Yes but only on command. She'll sit under a high seat and watch deer for hours but if we are tracking a wounded one and it gets up in front of us I can ask her to pull it. The indicating is the best b

?Never thought I would say it,. or even think in such a way,...but nowadays, I don't really care, if a dog is good at the job or not. Financially, my status has changed a bit,...not drastically,

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mother_Mary said:

have to ask. What’s your bone to pick with the subject anyway? 

whenever it comes to this topic either yourself or wilf usually jump on it with outrageous comments. 

I just find it odd as neither of you work dogs and by all accounts haven’t for some time. 

if the pair of you were so staunchly adamant this was the way to conduct yourself and the best way forward, surely you would be bang at it yourself no? 

Normally enjoy both your posts, but whenever the subject of driving land, dumping game, terrorising farmers and general parasitic behaviour comes up I cringe because i know one of you will be along shortly. It’s not a devils advocate type things, there more than that. 

Thought this myself.... Neither have a hunting dog... Always on about how the numpties are leathering gear from a vehicle...lol... Fxck off ..

They were in a paragraph of one of Darcy's silly books I think...he's the man... Him and wilf shouting how huntings gone... Sergeant bilco... Who's obsessed with operation galelio... Makes me laugh..him talking about lurcher work when he hasn't slipped a lurcher at anything in probably 15 years in case he filled his pampers.

• Haha 1
47 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Stiff you been in the army what 20 yrs?what's the craic having a dog?is it only possible if your in married quarters?bet there's a fair bit to go at around these barracks?I've had the the pleasure of hunting on various bits of mod land over the yrs?

no different at all to your set up as I kept all my dogs  at home ….

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, stop.end said:

Thought this myself.... Neither have a hunting dog... Always on about how the numpties are leathering gear from a vehicle...lol... Fxck off ..

They were in a paragraph of one of Darcy's silly books I think...he's the man... Him and wilf shouting how huntings gone... Sergeant bilco... Who's obsessed with operation galelio... Makes me laugh..him talking about lurcher work when he hasn't slipped a lurcher at anything in probably 15 years in case he filled his pampers.

you haven’t a running dog either you clown ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, stop.end said:

2 hours ago, Mother_Mary said:

have to ask. What’s your bone to pick with the subject anyway? 

whenever it comes to this topic either yourself or wilf usually jump on it with outrageous comments. 

I just find it odd as neither of you work dogs and by all accounts haven’t for some time. 

if the pair of you were so staunchly adamant this was the way to conduct yourself and the best way forward, surely you would be bang at it yourself no? 

Normally enjoy both your posts, but whenever the subject of driving land, dumping game, terrorising farmers and general parasitic behaviour comes up I cringe because i know one of you will be along shortly. It’s not a devils advocate type things, there more than that. 

one . I thank you for the time and the care you’ve taken to prose such an erudite comment . Thank you and I also like reading your content 

two. I haven’t had a lurcher in five years . Before that I had lamping dogs , coursing types and a couple of bull crosses .  They were kept from the day they were bought as pups  to the day they died with me . I had my first lurcher at 7 . I’m now forty and still have a dog at my mothers and one at home with me . 

three .I can’t see where I would have ever agreed with ditching dead game , in fact I’m dead against it and I find it sickening. However I do understand the WHY behind it . 

four. I detest Galileo for the simple reason that it was aimed exactly at people like me , with lurchers , on the land , and criminalised it over night whilst other types of sport carried on unabated. simultaneously I joined the army on a whim at 24 and I found it hard to comprehend why people in the brigade I served in died due to lack of air frames whilst my mates were getting chased round the land by gallelios little budgie . 

Ive never been in a gang 

ive never been in organised crime 

never really taken drugs as a habit and funded all that that goes with it .I was simply a lad from a council estate that loved to see his dogs run hard and it was taken from me as opposed to being a minor act. 

when coursing was outlawed , only the outlaws can course. 

Is that enough reason???

5. I speak very often to a great lad from here , he offers me all kinds of dogs and it kills me to say no , but for me , I just can’t . I’d rather have no runner than something I can’t like . I’m picky enough with trainers never mind lurchers. 

6. I understand what people say about the carnage sometimes involved but the fact that people don’t see that that is how it has to be infuriates me . The fact that a normal regular 9 - 5 lurcher lad can’t take a pinch as it’s all out of proportion to the crime is completely anathema to my way of thinking . I just don’t see why lads can’t see that the dogs they own , today in part IE @sheepchaser with his coursing pup , owe a lineage to dogs tested that way 

22 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

To be fair I thought @Mother_Mary

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

What book was it ?

I think he aimed that comment at me ?

It was "That's What I Call Lurcher Work 2 "

Hes had a hard on for me for quite a while, trolls all my posts, but I just consider him a bitter, jealous man of limited intelligence, so I won't worry about it ?

Cheers.

• Haha 1
59 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

one . I thank you for the time and the care you’ve taken to prose such an erudite comment . Thank you and I also like reading your content 

two. I haven’t had a lurcher in five years . Before that I had lamping dogs , coursing types and a couple of bull crosses .  They were kept from the day they were bought as pups  to the day they died with me . I had my first lurcher at 7 . I’m now forty and still have a dog at my mothers and one at home with me . 

three .I can’t see where I would have ever agreed with ditching dead game , in fact I’m dead against it and I find it sickening. However I do understand the WHY behind it . 

four. I detest Galileo for the simple reason that it was aimed exactly at people like me , with lurchers , on the land , and criminalised it over night whilst other types of sport carried on unabated. simultaneously I joined the army on a whim at 24 and I found it hard to comprehend why people in the brigade I served in died due to lack of air frames whilst my mates were getting chased round the land by gallelios little budgie . 

Ive never been in a gang 

ive never been in organised crime 

never really taken drugs as a habit and funded all that that goes with it .I was simply a lad from a council estate that loved to see his dogs run hard and it was taken from me as opposed to being a minor act. 

when coursing was outlawed , only the outlaws can course. 

Is that enough reason???

5. I speak very often to a great lad from here , he offers me all kinds of dogs and it kills me to say no , but for me , I just can’t . I’d rather have no runner than something I can’t like . I’m picky enough with trainers never mind lurchers. 

6. I understand what people say about the carnage sometimes involved but the fact that people don’t see that that is how it has to be infuriates me . The fact that a normal regular 9 - 5 lurcher lad can’t take a pinch as it’s all out of proportion to the crime is completely anathema to my way of thinking . I just don’t see why lads can’t see that the dogs they own , today in part IE @sheepchaser with his coursing pup , owe a lineage to dogs tested that way 

Fair post.

But I think maybe the issue is we are talking about different things here ...... and it’s always been so.

The two things I would argue with on your post -

“that is how it has to be” - does it ? If that is so, how come we get plenty of people hard at it here who don’t act like total C*nts and smash the place up, leave dead shit, run game over with the motor and dump dogs, knicking a few things as they go .......... personally although there is obviously a time when you just have to do what you need to do, to get away. But most of the lads I’m talking about, would get away with it if they were acting like such knobs. I do plenty, probably a lot compared to a lot of folk, and I manage to do it without acting like a total c*nt.

Second - where does this idea that if you’re acting like a monumental bell end, you are proper grafting and testing your dog ? I’ve watched the mongos here, they wouldn’t know a good dog if it bit them. They pass dog’s around every five mins, whizz about throwing them out of motors at stuff and then dump them In our local pub carpark ........ these folk aren’t keeping, running or breeding anything any good.

I get what you’re saying, I really do. And there are times you are right, but you seem to have this weird idea that anyone acting like a total muppet, is automatically a die hard Lurcher man, testing their dogs to the max and preserving the great working blood.

• Like 7
6 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Fair post.

But I think maybe the issue is we are talking about different things here ...... and it’s always been so.

The two things I would argue with on your post -

“that is how it has to be” - does it ? If that is so, how come we get plenty of people hard at it here who don’t act like total C*nts and smash the place up, leave dead shit, run game over with the motor and dump dogs, knicking a few things as they go .......... personally although there is obviously a time when you just have to do what you need to do, to get away. But most of the lads I’m talking about, would get away with it if they were acting like such knobs. I do plenty, probably a lot compared to a lot of folk, and I manage to do it without acting like a total c*nt.

Second - where does this idea that if you’re acting like a monumental bell end, you are proper grafting and testing your dog ? I’ve watched the mongos here, they wouldn’t know a good dog if it bit them. They pass dog’s around every five mins, whizz about throwing them out of motors at stuff and then dump them In our local pub carpark ........ these folk aren’t keeping, running or breeding anything any good.

I get what you’re saying, I really do. And there are times you are right, but you seem to have this weird idea that anyone acting like a total muppet, is automatically a die hard Lurcher man, testing their dogs to the max and preserving the great working blood.

Excellent reply mate, him without a dog is obsessed with "working them hard" ? all the best men ive met work em sensibly.

• Like 1
Just now, New moon said:

Excellent reply mate, him without a dog is obsessed with "working them hard" ? all the best men ive met work em sensibly.

To be fair I also believe in working them hard. I just don’t think that automatically means you have to act like a c*nt or that acting like a c*nt means you’re working them hard. 

You can work them hard and sensibly ? 

• Like 1